How Can A God Get Jealous?

I keep hearing the christian god is "A jealous God," and I have to ask...how can a god, of all things, get jealous?

I believe that Gods exist, and I also believe that gods are just "amplified people" - in other words, they are basically like us, but with the good traits of humanity magnified. At least according to a tradition I follow, this is how I see it. Gods are made of better stuff than we are, but they are still not perfect, and prone to making bad choices like us humans are.

But if I'm wrong, I am wrong. It really won't make much difference either way in the end. However, your post hints on one of the big contradictions with Xianity - that jealousy is taught as a sin for humans to have (it being "coveting" - remember that one?), according to the Babble™, but their god is jealous and that is part of his holy nature. Also, we are taught that the god of the Babble™ cannot sin, so you can see the contradiction plainly in a god that decrees that jealousy is a sin, yet practing that sin willingly.

As has been said, the writers of this slop sure needed proofreaders :Wendywhatever:

Everyone probably knows this, but the idea there likely stems from the fact that there were multiple gods in the early tradition. How does one become jealous of something that doesn't exist? it would also explain why the saying is "'A' jealous god" and not 'The lord thy god is jealous'

Although in newer interperetations it probably does say just that.

i recently heard:

1- He can do and feel however he wants. He created us.

and

2- When we hear the word jealous, we think negative. In God's terms, it probably means something else.

those were the stupidest things i ever heard.

OK, I'm just talking about Biblegod here. He's a "jealous God." But if only the one God exists (along with his special friends Jesus & the Dove - which are all magically one in the same) - but if there's only the one God, exactly who is he jealous of? The line "thou shalt have no other gods before me" would seem to indicate that he's delusional and imagining the existance of rival gods (since as The One and Only God, he would know there aren't any others) so this can only mean that Biblegod was crazy. :scratch: Right? Because if he's jealous of we puny humans, then that's just pathetic.

I think the jealous god idea goes back in Israels history to a time when their God was only one amongst all the others of surounding paganism as you hint at. At some point it suited the powers in Israel to adopt a strong monotheism because it leads to easier crowd control,manipulation and land aquisition. Some guy comes along at the right moment with an inspiration that Israels god is the only true God and he is considerd to be from God, a prophet of sorts, because it suits the ruling priestly caste or other powers to believe so. This is wonderful because when the same prophet sanctions the extermination of other cultures because of greed there is no longer any competing Gods - they have all disappreared into idols and/or devils. The jealousy of Israel's Yahoo is incredibly intense but its really a measure of the evil that men think in my opinion. I say "men" because I think it was one of the wrong turning points in mankinds history when the power crazed patriarchal monotheistic religions took control and violently suppressed the older religions that had never lost the divine feminine principle.

Guest Mr. XC

Humans have emotions. Humans live in a world of lack and strife. From that environment, jealously can be learned. But God supposedly is all powerful and has no lack or strife. An emotion such as jealously would seem illogical for Him.

I have been known to go on about how illogical the Judeo-Christian view is, but I think everyone gets the idea that this is only a small portion of the illogical beliefs that they have.

The idea of a jealous god comes from people projecting human qualities onto a non-human.

Happens all the time with pets.

It's called anthropomorphism.

Since people do it all the time with animals, trees, and whatnot, it's not that big a stretch to imagine they would do it to a supreme being. Particularly one that has not clearly offered up anything about it's own nature.

OK, I'm just talking about Biblegod here. He's a "jealous God." But if only the one God exists (along with his special friends Jesus & the Dove - which are all magically one in the same) - but if there's only the one God, exactly who is he jealous of? The line "thou shalt have no other gods before me" would seem to indicate that he's delusional and imagining the existance of rival gods (since as The One and Only God, he would know there aren't any others) so this can only mean that Biblegod was crazy. :scratch: Right? Because if he's jealous of we puny humans, then that's just pathetic.

Hee hee hee, maybe it's just a pet peeve of Jehovah to get called "Mythra" or "Zeus."

"It's YHWH. Y-H-W-H. It's just four letters people! Christ! I hate nicknames!"