Goodbye Jesus

A Proposal To Stop Calling God God!

KT45

“I believe in God!!!!”

When someone says this, what god pops up in you mind? The Islamic, the Hindu’s, the Greek’s? No the god that will pop into most people’s head is Yahweh, the Christian/Jewish god.

Growing up in school and church I thought that my God must obviously the one true god. I mean his name was God of course he was the one true god. Also when we talked about God we didn’t say he was “a god” but instead said “the God”. Also his name was capitalized unlike the false gods whose name wasn’t capitalized. This of course shows he is the most important. Well this was my mindset until I went to college. I discovered “God” actually had a name. It was Yahweh. Why wasn’t I ever taught this in Sunday school? Why wasn’t this in my bible? So God’s name isn’t God?

Maybe this doesn’t seem that big of a deal but in all actuality there is more power in knowing that when people even mention God they must be talking about my God. When “false gods” like Allah, or Zeus, or Venus are mentioned instantly in you’re mind you say, these aren’t Gods my god is God. It is very powerful to just call you god “God”.

I wish I could convey this into words better but this is the best I can do. I would just like to recommend to all here to never ever call “God” God. From now on his name I will only address him as Yahweh. From now on like all other gods he will be written down as god, not capitalized. I just refuse to give this imaginary creature even the slightest bit of superiority. Calling Yahweh “God” gives superiority to other religions at least in the eyes of Christians.

I might be over thinking this and please call me out on it. Thoughts?

Hmmm, I think I'll give that a shot. My God is not Yahweh and I find it kind of annoying using the same title to both since Yahweh isn't much of a god.

So I shall try using Yahweh for a while and see what happens.

Well this was my mindset until I went to college. I discovered “God” actually had a name. It was Yahweh.

I thought it was "Jehovah". Well, at least that's what my Jehovah's Witness father kept trying to drill into my head when I was younger. Then he would pull out scripture that called Satan a "god" and say I could be talking about the devil if I just say the word, "god" instead of using Jehovah.

Of course, "god" is called by many names. It's just that each religion tries to put their "property of" sticker on the word "god" by captitalizing the "G".

I'm not joining. I'm too lazy. Yahweh has 6 letters to type and God only 3. Besides if you want to discuss Yahweh with most Christians they won't have a clue about what you mean.

Another benifit is the more popular a word is the less it means. When was the last time you actually thought that this "Amazing, New Product" would be actually amazing or new?

Yahweh has 6 letters to type and God only 3.

Well you could type YHWH. It's only one more letter than 3!!!!

Besides if you want to discuss Yahweh with most Christians they won't have a clue about what you mean.

Well if you feel like debating someone, and they say "Whose Yahweh?" then you know they obviously don't have enough know-how to have a logical debate with you. You can tell them that if you don't even know who YHWH is then you aren't worth talking to and leave. Quick way to end a conversation

:HaHa:

I thought it was "Jehovah". Well, at least that's what my Jehovah's Witness father kept trying to drill into my head when I was younger.

Jehovah is one possibility for the pronunciation of the Hebrew YHWH. That was what they thought the most likely pronunciation was for a long time. More recent scholarship, though, reveals that it was probably pronounced Yahweh instead.

It is a hard thing to do, to deprogram oneself from equating "God" with the Abrahamic deity. Also, it is hard for some people to understand that "religion" is not exclusively synonymous with the Abrahamic cults. "God" and "religion" bring up not general ideas of divine beings and systems of belief, but specific deities and systems of belief, which is utterly erroneous.

Xianity in particular (and Is-lame in the east) try hard to establish that their gods and their religion are the only vessels worthy of the titles. Their propaganda over the centuries has seeped into human brains, but it can be reverted. I myself never equate "God" or "religion" with anything Abrahamic - I realize those simple words imply many things.

It frustrates the fuck out of me when I see people on this board doing the same dumb shit, instead of specifically accusing an Abrahamic deity or religion. I complain about it alot, and shall keep it up until those who equate "God" and "religion" only with the Abrahamic filth wise up. As a religious person myself, it is offensive, and about as offensive as it would be for someone to call all Black folk "niggers" because of the antics of the Bloods and Crips.

That, and the Abrahamic deities aren't even worthy of a generally nice word like "God". "Devil" is much more fitting.

Ah, yes, a problem I often encounter myself. What to call the Divine. I simply call it the Divine.

Say you're not Christian to someone, and many times the response will be *blank stare* "But you believe in God, don't you?" To them the two are inseperable. I can't blame them - when I was a wee Christian girl I simply lacked the ability to understand how you could believe in God and not be Christian at the same time. Of course I also didn't understand how a person could not be Christian in the first place......I thought everybody was.

One time I got out of it by saying that I believed in God, and God was Alanis Morissette. (Hey, at least that's actually on living film and not just copied from dubious written accounts!) Of course it got a strange stare but it was never, ever brought up again.

It frustrates the fuck out of me when I see people on this board doing the same dumb shit, instead of specifically accusing an Abrahamic deity or religion. I complain about it alot, and shall keep it up until those who equate "God" and "religion" only with the Abrahamic filth wise up. As a religious person myself, it is offensive, and about as offensive as it would be for someone to call all Black folk "niggers" because of the antics of the Bloods and Crips.

Indeed. To consider religion a purely Abrahamic phenomenon and thus bad is half-assed to say the least.

Actually whenever someone says "I believe in God!" it reminds me of the ridiculous "I beeleeve in Gawd!" skit/conversation at the end of the Tenacious D album.

But that's just me.

On this board its usually not a problem because ex-christian tends to define the god we are talking about. If speaking to xtians outside then maybe using "xtian god", "muslim god" makes better sense since most are unlikely to know who "yahweh" or "allah" is and at the same time it suggests to them that other cultures have different ideas about god.

Yes. I'd think if people here actually had a problem with Buddhists or Pagans (why they would, I don't know, but there was a troll a while back who was flaming Pagans in general), they'd probably specify. In America, Christianity is the predominate religion and the one most people think of when they think about religion.

Also, it doesn't help when the religions that make the news the most are either Christianity or Islam. The media has by and large ignored other religions since Dubya has been in office. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

Also, it doesn't help when the religions that make the news the most are either Christianity or Islam. The media has by and large ignored other religions since Dubya has been in office. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

I think Christianity and Islam are in the news more because they're making the most noise right now. People in other religions usually keep it a private matter, not bringing too much attention to themselves.

Say you're not Christian to someone, and many times the response will be *blank stare* "But you believe in God, don't you?" To them the two are inseperable. I can't blame them - when I was a wee Christian girl I simply lacked the ability to understand how you could believe in God and not be Christian at the same time. Of course I also didn't understand how a person could not be Christian in the first place......I thought everybody was.

You worded it so much better than me and this is exactly what I'm talking about. It creates a feeling in christians that there is no other god besides the god of Abraham. How can you separate them? The real god is the christian god because he is god hence that's his name. Screw that his name is Yahweh!!! Get off your high horse christians you don't ruin a monopoly on god!!!

(oh and it feels great to decaptialize god now and to not proclaim him as god :grin: )

Is it Yahweh, Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai, YHWH, El Elyon, or El Shaddai?

Only a really shady character has so many AKA's.

But, I understand what you're getting at, taylork45, and it makes a lot of sense. By calling him GOD - it seems to be a token acknowledgement that he's THE GOD.

By calling him Yahweh, he seems to take on a persona more fitting for the way we actually see him. Just another god. Small letters.

Like Thor. or Atum. or Ahura-Mazda.

I like it.

Get these two statements cleared up, and we can all go home and pinch a loaf.

From now on his name I will only address him as Yahweh.
I just refuse to give this imaginary creature even the slightest bit of superiority. Calling Yahweh “God” gives superiority to other religions at least in the eyes of Christians.

Yep. Yahweh or Jehovah. Both the same. YHVH or YHWH. There were no vowels. And thus my old signature line:

four-letter-word_sm.png