Goodbye Jesus

Children Are Evil

sonofspong

I was in the library yesterday. I stood in line behind these two Mexican women, both mothers. Between the two of them there were atleast 15 kids. All of them were loud as hell and obnoxious. They ran around the entire building like they had checked their brains at the front door.

I thought to myself right then, "I am never having kids."

Fortunately for me I am gay. I'll never have to worry about children unless I absolutely want them(and in some areas it is illegal for me to adopt...whooohooo!).

Don't get me wrong I love children. Some of them are very pleasant company. I like having a bit of fun with my nieces, nephews, and baby cousins. However, the best part about them is that they aren't mine, and when they become unbearable I can always return them. I like children when I feel like liking them. Afterwards I want nothing to do with the little bastards.

Earlier in my life I wanted children. Honestly, moreless because I thought that was the thing to do: get married, get a job, and have kids(maybe not in that particular order). My mother wanted the oppurtunity to hold my child; and her opinion meant(and still does) so much to me. But the realization is that I NEVER wanted to be a full-time parent. I don't think I have the capacity to constantly nurture and rear another human being. True, some of them are cute and cuddly. But, for the most part, they are monsters.

I have several little nieces and nephews and they are badasses. They are loud, dirty, and out and out rude. They tend to be better behaved once they reach the 7-year-old mark, but then comes the teenage years....and that is basically the end of a parent's life. The raging hormones, the rebellion, and the need to fit in is something that I NEVER want to deal with.

Right now I have two Gerbils and a cat. And I love them far more than I ever could a child.

A cat, when it gets tired of you, will go hide somewhere. Gerbils will play and play and could careless if you do it with them. And frankly, Gerbils and cats are cuter. And they don't disrupt your life the way children do.

Children, to me, are overly glorified parasites. I know, I know, all the parents love their kiddies...That is so good. Nothing is more beautiful than a parent's love for their child. But don't expect me to love them as much as you do. There is nothing more repulsive than a parent gooshing about the nauseating little idiosyncracies of their kids. I could careLESS.

And if I hear one more person say, "Children are such a gift from God" I'll vomit.

I hate when you are considered a soulless person just because you don't want kids. Like you will wind up a cratchety old goon who has nothing to live for unless you experience the "miracle" of giving birth or passing on your genetics. That kind of thinking is so shallow and retarded. I look at not having kids as having more disposable income, and not having to worry about giving up my dreams to feed a bunch of rug rats.

I consider myself a good, loving, and empathetic individual. I just don't want the burden of children.

and frankly, some people with kids should never have had them in the first place. Not only can the not make ends meet...Their ends can't get close enough to wave to one another; because the kids are just sucking them dry.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sonofspong

• The Sage Nabooru

• Amethyst

• pandora

Totally not wrong. I had my tubes tied when I was 24 and I don't miss that ability in the slightest.

My usual response to nosy people who ask me, "Why don't you want kids?"

"I met yours."

I mentioned this to my doctor after my miscarriage, at the public hospital, and they wouldn't do it. I can't find anyone anywhere that will tie the tubes of a nulliparous woman. Ticks me off. How did you manage to convince someone to get the surgery for you? I'm jealous. :)

And yes, I agree with the rest of you... there is something neurotically selfish about having children for the reasons you all mention, and I don't think they will ever understand how in some ways, our decision is unselfish. Of course, there are unselfish things that parents do, and there are some selfish reasons we choose not to have kids... but I don't think either of those are the primary reasons we choose what we choose.

It wasn't easy! I had to go through several doctors who decided they knew better than I did about what I wanted. But I learned about one doctor from other childfree friend of mine here who just wanted to make sure that I had researched it thoroughly and would consider adoption if I really decided I wanted children later in life after all. I signed a waiver saying I wasn't going to sue her for my own stupidity, and got the tie. Absolutely time and effort well spent, the peace of mind was SO worth it.

I would suggest looking at Childfree newsgroups, IRC chats, forums, and if you have a chapter in your area, look at No Kidding! If anything somebody there might be able to tell you of a progressive doctor somewhere who will take you at your word. Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP. I went through 8 doctors before I found the one that would help me. If you are serious about this, it's too important a step for your health and mental well being not to take it. There ARE doctors out there.

I know this is gonna sound really racist and stereotypical, but has anyone ever seen a mexican woman with less than 2 kids? Kids who are NOT obnoxious, loud, and undisciplined? Kids who DONT run around the entire store screaming at the top of their lungs?

For some reason, I dont recall ever not seeing this.

Totally not wrong. I had my tubes tied when I was 24 and I don't miss that ability in the slightest.

I mentioned this to my doctor after my miscarriage, at the public hospital, and they wouldn't do it. I can't find anyone anywhere that will tie the tubes of a nulliparous woman. Ticks me off. How did you manage to convince someone to get the surgery for you? I'm jealous. :)

That's what I've always heard. Are the doctors afraid that later you'll change your mind, and come back to sue them? Or is it considered "unneccessary surgery"? But if someone really does not want kids, I would think it's neccessary to the individual. One more way that the medical profession controls the bodies of women! What about guys? Can they easily get a vasectomy even if they don't have kids? If they can, cry foul!

I think that's part of it: they're afraid you'll sue them, and most doctors are fairly conservative. They aren't immune the prejudices that the average person holds, such as that 20-somethings really have no idea if they want children, that they will grow up and be sorry, etc... etc... all the things we are talking about in this thread. They have this God complex, as we all know, and I think that they would rather use this God-power to bring life into the world than prevent it in such a permanant manner, even though there are reversible ligation surgeries.

IUDs creep me out.. I'd rather have a laproscopic surgery than have something shoved up there. There are too many risks IMO... the copper IUD especially has a fairly high infection rate, and although the yearly or monthly ones don't have as high of an infection rate, they still have a higher rate than surgery. I still don't want something shoved up there on a regular basis. Give me the damn surgery. :)

My usual response to nosy people who ask me, "Why don't you want kids?"

"I met yours."

And yes, I agree with the rest of you... there is something neurotically selfish about having children for the reasons you all mention, and I don't think they will ever understand how in some ways, our decision is unselfish. Of course, there are unselfish things that parents do, and there are some selfish reasons we choose not to have kids... but I don't think either of those are the primary reasons we choose what we choose.

It wasn't easy! I had to go through several doctors who decided they knew better than I did about what I wanted. But I learned about one doctor from other childfree friend of mine here who just wanted to make sure that I had researched it thoroughly and would consider adoption if I really decided I wanted children later in life after all. I signed a waiver saying I wasn't going to sue her for my own stupidity, and got the tie. Absolutely time and effort well spent, the peace of mind was SO worth it.

I would suggest looking at Childfree newsgroups, IRC chats, forums, and if you have a chapter in your area, look at No Kidding! If anything somebody there might be able to tell you of a progressive doctor somewhere who will take you at your word. Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP. I went through 8 doctors before I found the one that would help me. If you are serious about this, it's too important a step for your health and mental well being not to take it. There ARE doctors out there.

Thanks for the tips! Once I'm out of school (meaning I would have the money), I will definitely do it. Even when I thought I might want kids someday, I never wanted my own... I always wanted to adopt. Again, thanks... I'm glad to hear that there are docs out there willing to do this.

I know this is gonna sound really racist and stereotypical, but has anyone ever seen a mexican woman with less than 2 kids? Kids who are NOT obnoxious, loud, and undisciplined? Kids who DONT run around the entire store screaming at the top of their lungs?

They're Catholic... and not the kind of Catholics that ignore the prohibition on birth control. :)

I'm loving this thread! :grin:

Couple years ago, I went to spend some time with extended family. Fourtunately I had a post "vacation" vacation lined up right after the visit. You spend a week around hardcore republicans with NO "worldview" (meaning I travel to Europe.....they blink at me in confusion as to why I would even want to go), and trust me, you are gonna need that two weeks in Hawaii afterward.

This meant a week of me being pretty much mute, and somewhat editing my answers to questions. Such as making the club where I go dancing with my friends come off as a community center instead of a bar.

So I'm sitting with my aunt one evening. She had three sons, each of them on their second or third marriage, each with a slew of kids of their own (and that was before each had been 25 years of age). Anyway, this aunt looks at me with PITY and says....."Well. Your the only one left." I'm blinking and confused. and I ask: "The only "one left" for what?" Again that pitying look: "The only one who doesn't have a family."

Now....I disagree with this. I HAVE a family. Got a great relationship with my own parents, and a best friend who is like the older Bro I never had. Also I finished high school (not all my cousins did), and finished college (something none of them even attempted). I have a job I don't have to worry about going anywhere (while they depend on a nearby car factory and have to worry constantly it will close and head for Mexico). I have travelled. Europe and Asia have held my footprints. My cousins have never been more than 100 miles from where they grew up.

So I'm looking at this woman, and thinking of her huge slew of grandkids, most of whom I've met. And I know they are being raised as the future Nascar Mega-fans of America...laws forbid they ever so much as touch a chessboard, as they might turn out gay.....or go to college where they do something to people's heads where they can stand to be more than 50 miles from their Momma.

I look this woman right in the eye, and I make the first religious gesture I have made in over five years. I raised my hands skyward and said "Hallelujah!" (and no, that doesn't make me a hypocrite. It's like knowing how to speak spanish. It doesn't make me hispanic myself).

I mean....UGH!!!!! Won't ever matter to some people.....my good quality of life, sufficient financial security to see the world....my continued interest in learning as much as I can get my hands on.

There are just going to be plenty of people in life who will always see me as incomplete until I pump out my own parasite.

I'm lucky and glad my parents don't share this limited worldview with their families (and is WHY I was raised 5000 miles away from the "clans"). My mom enjoys the looks on people's faces when she crows about her grand-kitties! So having the emotional support of my own self means the world to me.

I've never been partial to kids. And sure, I'd be a great parent. Because if I did have kids....I would give them my absolute all. And take responsibility for teaching them the things I want them to know, instead of expecting overcrowded public schools to teach my kids MY values. I'd be great as a parent. It's just not what I want, and never has been.

I think that's part of it: they're afraid you'll sue them, and most doctors are fairly conservative. They aren't immune the prejudices that the average person holds, such as that 20-somethings really have no idea if they want children, that they will grow up and be sorry, etc... etc... all the things we are talking about in this thread. They have this God complex, as we all know, and I think that they would rather use this God-power to bring life into the world than prevent it in such a permanant manner, even though there are reversible ligation surgeries.

IUDs creep me out.. I'd rather have a laproscopic surgery than have something shoved up there. There are too many risks IMO... the copper IUD especially has a fairly high infection rate, and although the yearly or monthly ones don't have as high of an infection rate, they still have a higher rate than surgery. I still don't want something shoved up there on a regular basis. Give me the damn surgery.

If it were up to me I'd have a total hysterectomy. Now THAT'S luxury. I've been on the shot on the past three years to avoid having periods. Periods for me are like repeatedly and incessantly getting punched in the stomach so that I curl up into a fetal position; a flow like Niagara Falls (think maxi-pad changes every hour), and bloat up so huge that I can't even begin to think of fitting into my normal clothes.

Of course I could have it done, but it's damned near impossible. My mother had it done voluntarily and I wish I could find out who gave it to her. It's amazing how doctors now will send single women to sperm banks for semen and go through complicated procedures to get them to conceive without a husband, but tell them you want to make sure you never get pregnant and they absolutely refuse to have anything to do with you. Yes, most doctors do tend to be very, VERY conservative. All the doctors I've had in my life have vastly been either white males, Indian (if you think the American push to have kids is strong.......whoa), or Korean Catholic. My mother, being a nurse, has worked around them all her life and they are very Republican people for the most part.

It's just incredible how easy it is to make the life choice to have children, which will be with you until the day you die, and how people revile you for making the choice to become sterile. That's not even a life choice - you could always adopt.

Of course I could have it done, but it's damned near impossible. My mother had it done voluntarily and I wish I could find out who gave it to her. It's amazing how doctors now will send single women to sperm banks for semen and go through complicated procedures to get them to conceive without a husband, but tell them you want to make sure you never get pregnant and they absolutely refuse to have anything to do with you. Yes, most doctors do tend to be very, VERY conservative. All the doctors I've had in my life have vastly been either white males, Indian (if you think the American push to have kids is strong.......whoa), or Korean Catholic. My mother, being a nurse, has worked around them all her life and they are very Republican people for the most part.

It's amazing how the same people who won't give you a hysterectomy or tube tie are the ones who cry the loudest about "killing" babies when it comes to abortion. And why is it that they want to cut welfare for single mothers but don't want women to have the means to prevent pregnancy in the first place?

For humans to be such intelligent beings, they sure are irrational. :Hmm:

Well, I have, but the person I'm thinking of is pretty smart and is studying to become an RN.

My mother was 15 when she got pregnant with me. So she was determined to keep the same thing from happening to me. She made me babysit my younger brother and sister who were 10 and 13 years younger than me.......and pure Satan spawn. I'm serious. These kids were so bad they made their 75 year-old great-aunt cry when she would keep them.

I couldn't have anything because they would break it just because it was mine. My mother, instead of punishing them, would blame me for keeping it where they could reach it. It didn't matter they would find it anyway if I hid it. She would let them get away with murder and I wasn't even allowed to disipline their bad-asses. So why would they bother obeying me when I babysat?

Oh, and try sharing a tiny 9'x8' bedroom with two of these Bebe kids and you'll never want to be around children for the rest of your life.

I would like to have kids eventually. But no more than 2 or 3. After that, I'm getting my tubes tied. And if I can't have kids for whatever reason, I'll be ok with it. I have my cats, and there's a lot of kids out there who need loving homes. Perhaps I'll adopt if I can't have my own.

But if I can't ever have kids and adopting's not an option, I'm certainly not gonna cry about it. In the immortal words of Nivek, "whatever pans out, happens". Besides, there's plenty of stray animals who need good homes too. And nobody can get on my back for that, or put me through yards of red tape.

When and if I have kids, I certainly won't be walking into it blind. I've read enough material on raising kids to choke a horse. From the medical problems kids can go through, to a child's emotional development. I've left no stone unturned in that regard. So, for me, it'd just be a matter of putting theory into practice.

I don't blame you guys who have chosen not to have kids. That's entirely your choice, and I think it's absolutely nuts that others are pushing their love of breeding on you.

I'll admit, I didn't totally understand the thought process behind being childfree at first. But I sympathize now that I've read this thread (not that I've misjudged childfree folks in the first place). And you're right about uninformed folks having kids for selfish reasons. If they truly and honestly knew a portion of what it takes to have a kid and didn't just jump in blindly, they wouldn't be so quick to judge the childfree.

Some people just don't bother to do the research and educate themselves beforehand. And it's the ignorant breeders I look upon with disgust and derision (Britney Spears and Kevin Federline, anyone?). But I don't blame the kids for acting out when they have neglectful and spineless parents.

\

Some people just don't bother to do the research and educate themselves beforehand. And it's the ignorant breeders I look upon with disgust and derision (Britney Spears and Kevin Federline, anyone?). But I don't blame the kids for acting out when they have neglectful and spineless parents.

I'm with you on that. I had a pair of ex-friends who had an "accident" one night with a condom and whoops! She was pregnant. Now mind you these people never finished high school, lived her parents garage with crap stacked to the ceiling, and couldn't keep a job at McDonalds to save their lives. I tried to talk to them about what kind of enviroment they were bringing a baby into the world with but they were were so starry eyed and dreamy they didn't listen.

9 months later, they have a beautiful blonde, blue eyed, healthy baby boy. I remember going to visit and holding this tiny baby that wasn't even a day old yet. He opens up these blue, blue eyes and looks at me, and it suddenly strikes me that I'm holding a person. Not that I didn't know that already, but everyone looks at babys and they see a baby...not a person. This little boy I was holding was going to grow up, have his own ideas, opinions, experiances, and dreams. He was going to need someone to teach him how to be a functional adult. At the time, we weren't even out of our teens yet. Holy fucking god, nobody in that room was qualified to give that kid what he needed.

I think at that point I had another crack in my religion (I was still a chrisitan then). God, if children were gifts, why was He casting this innocent little baby before swine?

Long story short, two weeks later the novelty wore off on the kid and they tried to foist him on whoever pitied him enough to take him. That included me a lot of the time and I learned first hand how much work children were, and solidified my beliefs that I never, ever, wanted one. I watched a happy, adorable little boy turn into a neurotic toddler. To this day though, I wonder if he's ok. His mother is trying to stalk me right now, but I haven't heard about him yet. He'd be ten years old now. I hope he's ok. I hope he's turning out better than his parents.

Breeders make me sick. Anti-choicers especially make me sick, because I've seen first hand that pregnancies are not this bullshit of "It's meant to be" or "Children are God's gift!" That's what I heard all throughout the pregnancy with these people. If that was true, I have to wonder what that little boy DID in his past life to deserve being given to those morons as parents as a gift. SICK SICK SICK! They sure didn't think their kid was such a great gift after he kept them up two weeks straight at night and they realized they couldn't go party like they used to. Children are not a gift! Babies are real people and they deserve that respect if you bring them into the world.

And nothing sets me off faster than hearing AC'ers belittle pregancy and people by calling it a "convenience." To me, there is no more obvious lack of respect for human life and children than to call pregnancy and children "a convenience." It doesn't take brains to make a baby, but it should be a requirement for raising them.

And when I get shit for that, I just point out that most murders and domestic assults performed on children are done by their own parents.

Sorry, I'll quit ranting. I'm too passionate about this topic sometimes.

I can deal with the vomit, poopy diapers, constant crying, etc., if I ever did have a kid. The one thing that is keeping me from deciding to have chilren is their need for attention. The "mom, mom, mom, MMMMOOOOMMMM, MOMMOMMOMMOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!" is too much. My plan was to get a dog or two if I started getting the mommy tingles, but as much as I like dogs, they are even too needy for me. Besides, kids shit themselves regularly for what, about 3 1/2 years (average)? If I got a dog, it would drag it's ass all over the carpet and breathe it's hot gross breath all over me for about 10-15 years. I just see more benifit with kids too. Anyway, I'd never give birth to a kid, that I know for sure. Adoption or nothing, not sure yet.

I like kids but i hate babies-they creep me out. no offense.

I like kids but i hate babies-they creep me out. no offense.

Me too. Seriously.

There's something that seriously freaks me out about about a newborn bablies crying, something animalistic, something primal. Like it's the sonic equivalent of a neurotransmitter reaction in a synapse, designed to provoke reactions in the parents on a reptilian-brain level.

Just thinking that this is an actual human being who at the presence has less awareness of its own existance than an insect has of its existance, whose "emotional" (really just blind instinct) reactions are almost mechanical, really creeps me out for some reason.

Some people look at a baby and see cute, some see hope, some see innocent, most people associate a baby wih some positive emotion.

I look at a baby and I see blind parasitic greed.

You know what nails me about a lot of allegedly pro-life people, and people who are really into having everybody breed? Is how unconcerned they are with the actual quality of a kid's life.

It's like the only thing that matters is quantity, that the kid is alive in the first place. I mean, I have enough sense to realize that it would not be a good idea for me to be a parent. I don't hate kids, but I have enough issues of my own to know that if I tried to be a parent, my intentions would be good, but my actions would be inadequate. I couldn't give a kid the attention and nurturing they really need to grow up and be a bright, healthy, productive member of society. In fact I can't think of any reason why I'd have a kid, other than totally selfish ones - and for me, that's not good enough. I was actually raised by a woman who brought me into the world based entirely on her own needs for attention and unconditional love, and I can tell you - it's no picnic.

It just blows my mind that breeders seem to think that *not* having a kid is the selfish thing. Excuse me?? How is *not* having a kid selfish? I mean really, is there any reason on this planet for bringing a kid into the world that isn't selfish?

It's like for so many people, the simple existence of a child is all they think about. Life starts at conception and ends at birth, and what gives a person's life value is the simple fact that they're alive at all. Never mind that they might be stuck being raised by an assistant crack whore. Never mind that their parents might beat them, or ignore them, or drink too much, or sexually abuse them, or belittle them all the time, or whatever - never mind that! They weren't aborted, Gawd wants people to multiply, so Gawd is happy!

So many people think that the potential quality of a child's life doesn't matter in the decision whether to have kids or not. How fucked up is that? I mean I have to wonder sometimes if people like this ever see the connection between quality of parenting and how a kid turns out. It's like they must see kids as being raised in a vacuum or something, which is just stupid.

I've known a lot of kids, and if there's one thing I've observed, how they turn out in the end is largely determined by the quality of the parenting they get. Period. So whenever I see a kid who's fucked up, the first place I look is her family.

Senseless breeding is stupid and selfish.

god i love this thread.

You and me both! Now I don't feel so bad, knowing that I'm not alone in my feelings. I actually get a chubby when you guys use words like "parasite" and "monsters" to describe children. :wicked:

[breaks out the Leo Sayer] "You make me feel like dancin'!" :jesus:

The excuse for having children that repulses me the most is the idea that you might give birth to the next: Albert Einstein, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Beethoven, Bach, or etc el.

And this primarily derives from the fundie pro-life crowd(of course). They think that every single baby is a little miracle gift from GAWD, destined for greatness(all that "You name it and claim it" b.s.)...And if an adult makes the conscious decision not to reproduce he or she may well create a space/time paradox that could destroy all life in the galaxy as we know it.

Yes, as if the next great musical virtuoso is going to come out a project building or trailer park. Give me a break. It's sorta like those people who have past life regressions. They are always the king or Queen of Ancient Egypt. No one is ever a galley whore on a pirate ship.

Anyway, You are lucky if you get a girl pretty enough to shake her ass in an MTV rap video let alone become a neuro surgeon. Yeah, it can happen. But how often does it?

For every Einstein or MLK there are, approximately; 15 dozen crack whores, 20 pimps, a few dozen serial murderers, 30 pedophiles; and a million barefoot and pregnant Jerry Springer guests in a pear tree.

I wonder what these pro-lifers would have said had Jeffery Dahmer's mother wanted an abortion? Or Ted Bundy's for that matter? Afterall, all babies are a gift from GAWD...created with a divine purpose to bring glory to his perfect name(**vomit**).

To me a child should be cultivated. Most of these people think they are doing Babble Gawd's will by having massive quantities. Hell, the fertility treatments are just getting so outrageous that no one ever bats an eyelash anymore(and of course fundies thank god for their babies even after they had to concieve with a turkey baster).

Once, I watched an episode of the View where this family of EIGHTEEN, two parents and 16 children, were bragging about the virtues of having so many "miracles."

It really made me want to jump through the television screen and give that woman a makeshift hysterectomy...Oh, she was also pregnant with baby number 17. Anywho, they waxed poetic about how so many of their "friends" helped them finance their huge family. By "friends" the two unneutered and spayed dogs(what I called the parents)more than likely meant government assistance...Which I am paying for and I don't have any goddamn kids. To me people like that should be forbidden to procreate. You aren't doing DA LAWD'S will, you are a burden to society...and most important of all a burden to your children with your inability to be a great parent...

Which would lead me to my next point...

I really hate men who have multiple children just to PROVE their virility. I know so too many people with that attitude. They get women knocked up just so they can say, "Hey look at what I did!" or "See, I'm having more sex than you because I have a child!" or "Yo dawg, I hit dat! She my baby mama!" Or the infamous, "I want a part of me to go on..."

Look, fool, the only thing you share with that kid is DNA. If you want a part of you to go on then get cloned or something...

One of my ex-friends in Highschool is one such individual. In a nutshell he's a bum now. He's morbidly obese, chain smokes reefer, alcoholic, has no job, won't apply for one, and when he does make any money it is from either, 1.) Filing a bogus lawsuit on a grocery store(He literally slips down to hurt himself just to get a settlement, and it has worked), or (2.) selling drugs on occasion...

This lowlife has seven children by six different women, and he is only 24.

I once suggested that MAYBE he ought to stop having children until he could provide better care. His reply was, "Yo dawg, I just love kids. It's cool watchin the little shorties grow up..."

I met one of his kids. She was the most precious little thing I had ever seen. Then I thought to myself, "This girl is going to be either dancing on a pole or selling her body by the time she's 16..."

Her mother is nothing but a welfare queen(and she has three other kids by three different men), and her father is happy to be a bum spreading his seed...Anytime they can dump the kids off on a grand parent they will. Their entire life consists of going to the club and smoking weed.

These people will even enroll in college just so they can get a financial aid refund check...I shit you not.

Those children would be better off being raised by wolves...

This kind of attitude is why we now have world overpopulation and an incredibly stupid up and coming generation.

LosingMyReligion, you just described the average person living in Memphis...to a tee. :lmao:

Whenever I go to the doctor and write down on the medical history form I have no children, the nurses look at me like they just saw an alien land in a spaceship. I'm 31 and it's the norm for women my age here to have four or five kids by the time they get in their mid-20s....and never, ever by the same father.

And they wonder why Memphis is such an impoverished hell-hole full of ignorance and high crime. Because everyone thinks popping out brats makes them parents.

I wish I wasn't allergic to dogs. I have a gecko. Geckos are cute, in a weird reptilian way. Plus they don't have dander (AFAIK) and they don't shed all over the place or have to be house-trained.

Me too, a crested gecko. He's really shy and hides all the time but I'm not afraid of having him tear the place up when I'm away. He's cute too. :grin:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Im not a big fan of kids. The thought of having to constantly look after a screaming little monster is something I do not find appealing. Thats also the reason why I only have low-maintenence pets. (a snake and a huge frog) People tell me "ooo, how can you not like kids?." I think for a second, look over to the frantic Mexican lady whos screaming at her mischeivious brood, and I reply "I'ts quite easy, actually"

I don't like kids. I dont like playing games with them, talking to them in that rediculous baby talk, wiping their asses, or just watching them to make sure they dont do something stupid. Not surprisingly, it has raised some questions in my family. My mom is pretty hurt that I'm not interested in giving her grandchildren. And my sister feels hurt that I dont play with or spend time with her kids.

Us folks who'd rather not procreate are demonized by the public, viewed as cold-hearted monsters. But I believe that just because you can have kids, dosen't mean you should. I see plenty of people who definately shouldn't be spreading their genetic material. Parenthood is a huge responsibility, and there are enough people who do a poor job of raising their kids (if they do at all). I know I'll be one of those people, so I intend never to put myself in that situation.

Sadly, there are more than enough childless couples who'd give anything to have a kid of their own, and give him/her a loving home. And there are plenty of healthy, fertile single folk who'd gladly trade thier own fertility (or testicles, or whatever) if they could. Life's really unfair.

Is it so wrong to have no desire to raise a family..ever?

I used to think that having a kid was an integral part of the human experience. That is, until I realised that I wasn't getting any more responsible or any more likely to be keeping my kids in designer gummy bears and private schools. Not to mention that I don't want to get married again, ever.

But one of my stepsisters has the most adorable, precocious, intelligent charming kids I've ever met. And they love me because I love to make em smile. My niece is 3 and my nephew is 5 and I'd much rather spend my time at family gatherings in their world, being a kid and hearing their laughter, as opposed to talking to the stuffy fundy adults. I love those kids and I'm going to enjoy every second of them growig up and becoming the incredible people I know they'll be.

Having said that, I am exhausted by 2 hours with them and am always glad to be able to retreat to my bachelorhood.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

For an example of what gems they are...

My stepmother was recently talking to the five year old and she was trying to see if he was familiar with the Snow White story. She said something like "Have you heard of Dopey, and Bashful, and Sneezy....etc. do you know who they are".

He replied "Well, Nana, those all sound like guys with only one emotion."

And, during our family's latest Father;s Day celebration, as my neice Emily and I watched my nephew Will play his XBox, she kept giggling and leaning over to whisper in my ear and make confessions, like....

"Uncle Jeremy" she whispered in my ear "sometimes me and Will like to smell each other's armpits". Then she'd laugh uproariously, as would I, then she jams her foot in my face and says " FEET TOO!" And falls over she's laughing so hard.

She's examining my tattoo on my arm, and I tell her tattoos are a bad idea, and she's gets all bashfull and bats her eyes then whispers in my ear "You can still get a girlfirend, Uncle Jeremy. Some girls like tattoos. I think it's pretty". Talk about melting your heart.

Yeah, kids are awesome, as long as they belong to someone else.

But one of my stepsisters has the most adorable, precocious, intelligent charming kids I've ever met. And they love me because I love to make em smile. My niece is 3 and my nephew is 5 and I'd much rather spend my time at family gatherings in their world, being a kid and hearing their laughter, as opposed to talking to the stuffy fundy adults. I love those kids and I'm going to enjoy every second of them growig up and becoming the incredible people I know they'll be.

Having said that, I am exhausted by 2 hours with them and am always glad to be able to retreat to my bachelorhood.

That's me with my neice. She is the cutest and smartest child I've ever met and I just love her. I also love the fact that she lives in Moscow and not in the next room.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

That's me with my neice. She is the cutest and smartest child I've ever met and I just love her. I also love the fact that she lives in Moscow and not in the next room.

I've always been "Uncle Jeremy" to Will and he anticipates my arrival and is so excited when I come to see him. So much so that during the Father's Day celebration, he showed me his little drum kit, and I sat down to play and he promptly left the room. After a few minutes of entertaining his little sister with my drum playing, my stepmom came into the room to inform me that will had retreated to under his bed, and said to her "I wait for Uncle Jeremy to come see me and when he does all he wants to so is play the drums and he doesn't know how much THIS HURTS ME!" I am not made of wood. I had to go hug him to death.

But only recently has my shy little neice come out of her shell and now is just as excited as her brother when I show up. My stepsister, a 300+ lb wallflower, has had them in pageants, both of them, since they were infants, and they are both exceptionally beautiful children. I suppose the case could easily be made that she was living vicariously through them, but I think the experience has matured them a great deal. They both have extrordinarily large vocabularies, but my niece speaks like a 10 yr old and she's only 3.

They impress the hell outta me and fascinate me for the short time I get to see them.

There's a reason why I only have one child.

I will never have another child as long as I live. Once this one is grown and gone, I will enjoy her from a distance, and appreciate having my life back.

I had my daughter when I was barely 19, and thought that the child I had conceived with my ex-husband would keep us together forever.....even though I a)didn't find out I was pregnant until I was four and a half months along, and b)he wanted me to have an abortion ASAP.

I ended up divorced, a single mother of a two year old, by the time I was 21.

I'm now 30. If I knew then what I know now? I might never have had children at all. But, because of what I know now, I won't have any more.

I love other people's children, and don't get me wrong, I love my daughter more than life itself. But I suck at being maternal. I really do. I'd much rather be able to give the wonderful kids BACK to their parents, and not actually have to raise them.

But, for as crappy and unmaternal a mother as I consider myself to be, my 11 year old daughter is very bright and well adjusted, and doesn't fall for the superstitious Babble bullshit, either. I think she's a wonderful young woman....who deserves a better mother than me.

On the downside, because all these Springer Reject trailer trash biblethumpers are the ones procreating like made, they're gonna always outnumber us.

On the brightside...we're always gonna seed someone to flip burgers :)