Goodbye Jesus

Ever Tempted By Christianity?

Dra_Mucd_Uha

Just out of curiousity, how often are you tempted to go back to being a Christian, if at all?

I personally am still trying to get out of all the programming and leave for good, so my answer would be "sometimes, but not often."

Just out of curiousity, how often are you tempted to go back to being a Christian, if at all?

Holy crap - never! :twitch:

I got out and never looked back. Nothing about my religious experiences w/xtianity has ever tempted me in the slightest. Everything has been much better for me as a non-believer. I can honestly say I'm happier now than I was then.

Sure, it would be swell if there really was a heaven and all my friends and family were there, but that's about it. The crappy kind of heaven described in the bible would suck, though, so I have no inclination to pick up my belief in it again.

Not one single time. :)

Not even an option. Hell sounds better than the Christians' heaven.

Sometimes I get this feeling that God is trying to draw me to him somehow, but then I realize that it's all in my head. When I stop and think about it, I wouldn't even enjoy heaven at all because none of my family will be going there, so what's the point?

No fuckin' way.

There was a time when I still considered Xianity an option, but that time has long passed. I'm never going back.

It's just such an obvious lie.

The Bible is lies, contradictions, and cruelty.

Christians are the most dishonest people you'll meet when it comes to their faith-- we've all seen that here! They make shit up, then cover that with more shit, and on and on and on.

So no, no temptation to return.

In the spirit of Know Your Enemy, I do continue looking at Christian resources, as well as learning from the excellent people here. Everything just keeps showing what an utter fabrication it is.

It did happen a few times during the early stages of my spiritual detoxification. You want to go back to the drug you're used to. But after enough time went by, I was never tempted again.

Educating myself on the genuine horrors of Xianity saw to that :)

There were a few times when I worked out speculations that I had. For example, I once heard "He giveth, he taketh away" and associated it with Christianity. I wondered if it made sense, in a way. However, when I actually thought about it and looked at the world, nothing is "taken away" (like snow, snow isn't taken away, it just changes into another form), so such an assertion is simply misled and untrue.

So I guess that wouldn't fall under being "tempted", but I have proven to myself after some deliberation that it is a bunch of illogical and delusional crap.

depends on how hot the girl is trying to get me back....

Sometimes I get those christly feelings when I'm listening to a particularly beautiful peice of music, like "Ave Maria" or "Agnus Dei." Or Christmas Carols.

But it goes away after the song is over. I can't go back to living in constant confusion again.

Songs like that give me a good feeling too, but not a christly one. It is "spiritual" in a way, but I get this feeling from some techno/trance/house songs, and some pop/rock/heavy metal songs too. It's when the harmonies strike a certain emotion I guess. Sibelius, Grieg, Dvorac, Carl Orff, have some awesome classical pieces that are secular, but still makes me transcend into that mood of good feeling.

I began my exit out of Christianity at the age of 20, but it has been like peeling an onion since. I am now twenty-six. At times, the effect of the onion peeling has been particularly poignant and I have reverted back. But each time, I work closer to the core, and I realize that I can never go completely back to the "full onion."

The peeling continues, and in fact, the onion might be getting sliced soon, and thrown into the stew. Soon I'll eat the stew and realize that its taste would not have been as savory had the onion not been included.

I think like this a lot. Metaphors are not reserved for the Christian preacher who likes to use them to prove the idealistic fantasy.

Johnny Smith

depends on how hot the girl is trying to get me back....

Trust me, it ain't worth it.

To answer the question: No way in hell.

Merlin

A problem with christianity, that draws so many people, is that....it sounds great in theory.

"what? you mean all i gotta do is praise jesus, go to chruch, be a nice person, and i get a ticket to heaven? You mean Jesus dosn't care if im ugly, fat, stupid etc? You're saying that god will forever watch over me, make sure im ok, and make me feel important, special, loved, and wanted? And, if things go bad, its just gods will? SIGN ME UP!!! "

Christianity sounds great, at first. But most people simply dont give it alot of thought. They think that the bible is filled with nothing but good moral stories, like noahs ark, that guy and the whale, esther, etc. They dont bother to probe it, throuoghtly read the bible, or question it. Because if they did....they'd find out all the BAD parts of christianity. Hell, alot of people are fully aware of these bad parts...yet seem to kind of forget them...or reword them in their own minds, to make god look like less of a bastard.

I see this problem, especially in black churches:

"OOOHHH LOOOOORRRD!! JEEESSUSS!!! GIVE ME THE POWER!! JEESSSUSSS LOVES ALL!!

*black lady in the audience: "thats right!"

"JESUSS CHRIST WILL SET YOU FREE!!! HE DONT CARE OF YOU'RE WHITE!! HE DONT CARE IF YO COLORED!! WHATS MATTERS TO THE LORD...IS YOUR CHARACTER!!!

*another black lady in the audience: "praise god!!"

Yeah, its nice that they focus on the good parts of the bible....but the fact is, the bad parts are still there. A sugur coated pile of shit is still of a pile of shit. That smells sugary.

I've been in some predominately white, charismatic churches that do the same thing.... :P

Any temptation evaporated when I graduated from the school that came close to destroying me, and was a living hell for seven years. That was nearly four years ago.

I would go back to Christianity for the same reasons a battered woman keeps going back to her husband who beats her. Of course, I've never been one to respond to intimidation or let people tell me what to do. Heck, not even my own parents could do that. So I think it's safe to say I'd never go back.

Mine is a gradual process. I have been in Christian Detox for the past two years...

Now, I feel like I am finally weening myself off of it.

They program you so completely that you feel like you are removing a vital organ if you leave it.

But discovering what kind of lie it is and moving from day to day, you realize that you can live without it...And still be a really good person. :)

I have definately been tempted. The thing that always made me feel good about being a christian was that I knew that i was the best i could ever be. I was the best form of human around. I was as perfect a human could be.

of course this is untrue........but sometimes i just want to give up hope at what i am trying to accomplish in life and say to myself-"I'll leave it in god's hands, I am a christian, so I deserve it all to be fixed."

of course I was like this until I was 18 years old and it never works......but it's hard to desensitize your mind.

I've been in detox for 2 years as well.

Guest Suigintou

I'd rather worship the flying spaghetti monster, turn my house into a shrine devoted to him, and hand out plates of "holy spaghetti" to people at street corners than return to christianity. So no.

Hell fucking NO!