Goodbye Jesus

Are We The Lucky Ones?

Greydon Square

I recently started dating again after a hiatus from the dating game. Now of course i have problem with online dating...so i started to put out some feelers with some women that i was interested in. One of those women who recieved an email from my blackplanet account saw my religous view on my blackplanet page (http://members7.blackplanet.com/greydonsquare). She then wrote me back with a note that said...

"Thank you for the compliment... You are a very attractive man, but I think our difference in beliefs would cause strife... See, I KNOW God is real, and anyone I deal with on that level would have to know that too.. :) Take Care. "

In another instance this week, i was at a womans house and we were talking and she had a bible on her table (more for decoration than anything) and she started telling me that the reason she believes in god is because of the depiction of hell thats shes heard her whole life. So i went into my "HELL" argument, and she stops and says..."I dont think im smart enough to come up with that, so id rather stick with something that i can understand."

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

Well i wonder now are we the lucky ones, do you have to be halfway intelligent to know that the biblical God is totally phony? Do you know any DUMB atheists? and i ask this because it seems like there is no hope for these people.

What does everyone else think?????

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

CORRECTION-Now of course i DONT have problem with online dating

Wow.

I certainly think you're better off without someone who would willingly suspend their intellect and intelligence in the interest of hanging onto their religion. Too many people will do that, even if they're reasonably intelligent overall. It's like religion is just this automatic shutoff valve for intelligence or something.

The women you mention in your post seem... well, stupid to me. Maybe not from any actual lack of intellectual capacity, but because by those statements they made, it's clear that they've stopped thinking.

The line from the first is bullshit, which you probably already realize. Nobody really knows if god is real or not, despite the depth of their convictions about it. At least she was honest with you, though, and was able to let you off the hook before you ever really got started with her. Seriously, despite the diss, it's a blessing in disguise.

The second gal, well... what a dipshit.

Don't lose hope, though. There are women out there who refuse to turn off their brains, no matter what. There are certainly plenty on this board. It just might take a little hunting to find one.

Fwiw, I haven't met any dumb atheists yet. I've encountered stubborn ones, but not stupid ones.

I feel I am luckier than Christians. I can go through life and not have to carry a sack of guilt around with me or need a cosmic father figure to guide my morals.

As to stupid athiests, I have yet to meet one. All the ones I know are rather intelligent.

Well, as to the black planet thing, we all know that black people are more certain of god than anyone else.

As to everyone, contrary to popular belief, we humans are NOT ruled by intellect, as goes the popular statement. we are as ruled by emotions and instinct as every other creature. Intellect is a tool, if it predominated our existence, I have to think our world would be devoid of the things that make it what it is, in terms of art, culture, etc.

Well, as to the black planet thing, we all know that black people are more certain of god than anyone else.

As to everyone, contrary to popular belief, we humans are NOT ruled by intellect, as goes the popular statement. we are as ruled by emotions and instinct as every other creature. Intellect is a tool, if it predominated our existence, I have to think our world would be devoid of the things that make it what it is, in terms of art, culture, etc.

Thats a great point...

GS:

"Are you the lucky one(s)?"

Hell yes you are.. You are young enough and out of the religious.matrix soon enough to make a fucking difference in your life...

Rather than spending thelast half of your life trying to redefine and repair damages done by religious.bullshit, you have opportunity to live as a freeman, uninhibited by the ghosts of those who want to keep you deep within the flocks.

We've got a long way to go before humanity sees itself as a whole, rather than "X" and "B" skin tones and shades, but I suspect that young cats as I see here at ExC will be making a difference one Human at a time...

Yes you are one of the lucky ones.. Pass it along.

kL

I recently started dating again after a hiatus from the dating game. Now of course i have problem with online dating...so i started to put out some feelers with some women that i was interested in. One of those women who recieved an email from my blackplanet account saw my religous view on my blackplanet page (http://members7.blackplanet.com/greydonsquare). She then wrote me back with a note that said...

"Thank you for the compliment... You are a very attractive man, but I think our difference in beliefs would cause strife... See, I KNOW God is real, and anyone I deal with on that level would have to know that too.. :) Take Care. "

[snip]

What does everyone else think?????

I think this is very good; despite what you may hold of her beliefs, it is smart of her to cut it off immediately. Generally speaking, the areas of compatibility are intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual, in no particular order. Some of those overlap to a degree, but the important point is that major differences in even one of those areas can be a big problem. Forget the "opposites attract" and "complementary" stuff. If you are highly intellectual, and she doesn't read anything deeper than Cosmo, you've got a major intellectual incompatibility. If you like sex five times a week and she's good with a couple times a month, you have a major physical incompatibility. And if you are a militant atheist and she's a Jeezus-wheezer, may as well stick a fork in it. I think it's important when dating to do rapid eliminations like this. Time, energy, and money for dating are finite resources, and you want to maximize your chances to find something rewarding.

Um, wow. You found some real winners there Greydon. The second woman makes me shudder. If we're all supposed to be made in god's image, she's instilling some genuine godly fear in me, I'll tell ya.

Yeah, I have met some dumb atheists before. Dumb isn't an all encompassing thing. You're intelligent in some things, stupid in others. My brother is an atheist/agnostic, very educated, a talented musician who has done international tours, skilled with computers, and can debate the hardest fundy into a smackdown....but when it comes to dating, he makes the same stupid mistakes over and over and over again and gets taken for a ride every single time. *headshakes*

Then I used to know several of the local MENSA group too. Highly educated and intellectual people, and personal dumbasses. I can't do math problems, but I had more "street smarts" than any of them put together. Most of them acted like three year olds and were convinced they were superior than everyone else even though they kept falling flat on their faces in their personal lives because of their own immaturity. And many of them were atheists.

Then I've met the atheists who are so high on their own beliefs they have ended up sounding exactly like christians. Which is rather stupid and ironic in itself.

I've met some stupid atheists too. Remember this truism: Stupidity knows no ontological bounds!

-Seth

Thats a great quote

On the Internet, yes, I have met some dumb atheists. IRL, no. I live in the upper midwest, which is mostly Christian. I'd like to meet more agnostics/atheists IRL, preferably those who are not dumb.

Guest temporalequilibrium

Your dealing with a group of people whose closedmindedness and blind dogmatic disregaurd for anything not spoonfed to them is labeled as blasphemy, so much so that it prevents them from even seeing fictional movies (ie. Dogma, The Davinci Code). Does rationality and logic bring fortune? Some would say that ignorance is bliss. To some extent I would have to agree, but I don't think I can equate reason with luck. My advice to you is this, next time simply ask this person when the last time they read the bible was, and being the devout christian that they are they will probably answer something like never, or a long time ago. Then encourage them to read the book they value so much. After all the cure for christianity is to read the bible.

Your dealing with a group of people whose closedmindedness and blind dogmatic disregaurd for anything not spoonfed to them is labeled as blasphemy, so much so that it prevents them from even seeing fictional movies (ie. Dogma, The Davinci Code). Does rationality and logic bring fortune? Some would say that ignorance is bliss. To some extent I would have to agree, but I don't think I can equate reason with luck. My advice to you is this, next time simply ask this person when the last time they read the bible was, and being the devout christian that they are they will probably answer something like never, or a long time ago. Then encourage them to read the book they value so much. After all the cure for christianity is to read the bible.

Great answer.....

In my experience, and doing some unscientifc counting, non-religous men outnumber non-religious women by not quite 2:1. So, roughly half the non-religious men are screwed into being alone or being with religious women. Deal with it how you will, and how you are able to, for that is the situation.

In my unscientifc counting, my sample size was about 1500 non-religous people in my area. About 1000 turned out to be men, about 500, women. Do the math.

Do you know any DUMB atheists?

Nope. In fact, some of the most intelecual(sp?) people were/are non-believers. A list of intelligent non-believers:

Noam Chomsky

Francis Crick

Marie Curie

Rickard Dawkins

Daniel Dennett

Thomas Edison

Albert Einstein

Stephen J. Gould

Massimo Pigliucci

Steven Pinker

Karl Popper

Carl Sagan

Michael Shermer

James Watson

E.O Wilson

Oh gosh, black planet is the worst place to try and find a non religious date...lol.

I consider myself lucky to no longer believe in Christianity. It has freed me up to becoming a complete and whole person.

I sometimes want to kick myself for the way that I used to be. But hey...I survived and I'm thriving.

Oh gosh, black planet is the worst place to try and find a non religious date...lol.

I consider myself lucky to no longer believe in Christianity. It has freed me up to becoming a complete and whole person.

I sometimes want to kick myself for the way that I used to be. But hey...I survived and I'm thriving.

i feel the same way, i heard someone tell me today that they thought that someone else needed jesus, i asked why and then they said "well if everybody just believed what i believed the world would be so much better, everybody just needs jesus"

rrriiiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt.

In my experience, and doing some unscientifc counting, non-religous men outnumber non-religious women by not quite 2:1. So, roughly half the non-religious men are screwed into being alone or being with religious women. Deal with it how you will, and how you are able to, for that is the situation.

In my unscientifc counting, my sample size was about 1500 non-religous people in my area. About 1000 turned out to be men, about 500, women. Do the math.

Or, they could come to Russia, a country literally teaming with gorgeous atheists.

Yeah its amazing how some people suppress their intellect. I just couldn't imagine doing that to myself. One of the reasons why I became a xian, is because I thought god was the truth, and that search for god led me to be an atheist. Anyway you don't want to be with a woman like that anyway. Its sad how xians are all brainwashed, these are the people who go to college and still come out thinking the earth is 4000 years old.

I guess we are in a way lucky, we realized through logic and reason that xianity isn't "the truth" and we're also the folks who aren't afraid of using our own brains, no matter how harsh reality might be. Yeah its amazing how "nice" xians are and write off people who don't share the same beliefs. Ugh. I hate that, its like you're not even a human being to them unless you're a xian. Don't waste your time with these people.

Yeah I could never date a xian, some people can do it, but not me. Good luck on your dating ventures, online and off, hopefully you will find someone. :)

Yeah its amazing how some people suppress their intellect. I just couldn't imagine doing that to myself. One of the reasons why I became a xian, is because I thought god was the truth, and that search for god led me to be an atheist. Anyway you don't want to be with a woman like that anyway. Its sad how xians are all brainwashed, these are the people who go to college and still come out thinking the earth is 4000 years old.

I guess we are in a way lucky, we realized through logic and reason that xianity isn't "the truth" and we're also the folks who aren't afraid of using our own brains, no matter how harsh reality might be. Yeah its amazing how "nice" xians are and write off people who don't share the same beliefs. Ugh. I hate that, its like you're not even a human being to them unless you're a xian. Don't waste your time with these people.

Yeah I could never date a xian, some people can do it, but not me. Good luck on your dating ventures, online and off, hopefully you will find someone. :)

See i didnt want it to come to that. but maybe your right, i never wanted to come to the "ill never date a xtian" mentality, but serious its probably better that way...I never realized that most xtains go to college and still come out with the most limited philosophies that xtianity has to offer. AND THESE ARE EDUCATED PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

In another instance this week, i was at a womans house and we were talking and she had a bible on her table (more for decoration than anything) and she started telling me that the reason she believes in god is because of the depiction of hell thats shes heard her whole life. So i went into my "HELL" argument, and she stops and says..."I dont think im smart enough to come up with that, so id rather stick with something that i can understand."

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

Wow. :twitch:

Just... wow. :twitch:

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

Wow. :twitch:

Just... wow. :twitch:

I know thats insane huh? I couldnt even imagine....

Here's what's even easier to understand: there is no Hell at all.

I guess she never considered that.

Here's what's even easier to understand: there is no Hell at all.

I guess she never considered that.

but see your talking about a person like other people who have been spoonfed thier entire life. I mean think about it, how young were you when you first went to church. its a conditioning. and her thought process is a result of that conditioning, what do you think?

I started to go to Church when I was born. I was spoon fed pentecostal dogma from birth. Sunday school until teenager. Bible school after high school etc. I was really into it.

But I agree, it's very hard for someone that's shaped in the mold of the fold to get out of the box. It took me quite a while.