Goodbye Jesus

I Joined American Atheists!

Brother Jeff

Bless the Lard! I obeyed the magical promptings of the Holy Spook in my life and joined American Atheists! I've wanted to do it for quite a while, and I finally decided to "just do it" for Kryasst. Glory!

Congratulations, Brother Jeff! If I remember correctly, their site is one of the really good ones I've come across. It's not very compatible with my low vision problems so I don't spend much time there. But the content--the parts of it that I can see--is great. I hope you feel richly rewarded for your participation.

This is off-topic. May I ask why you always end your posts with "Glory"? I understand you were Pentecostal. Maybe this is your way of "getting back" at them? Just curious here.

Congratulations, Brother Jeff! If I remember correctly, their site is one of the really good ones I've come across. It's not very compatible with my low vision problems so I don't spend much time there. But the content--the parts of it that I can see--is great. I hope you feel richly rewarded for your participation.

This is off-topic. May I ask why you always end your posts with "Glory"? I understand you were Pentecostal. Maybe this is your way of "getting back" at them? Just curious here.

Thanks! :)

I wish I could say that it's a Brother Jeff Original, but the truth is that I picked up that phrase from Landover Baptist a long time ago and started using it because I loved it. Yeah, I suppose it does let off steam about my Christian years, but it's also just a great expression that I know blesses the Lard every time I use it! Glory! See, did you look up at the sky just now? Kryasst got happy the moment I shouted that! Glory! :grin:

You know the reason the Union won the Civil War was because of the Battle Hymn of the Republic (one of the greatest song titles of all times, btw)

Here's some history on Battle Hymn of the Republic. If you've got the technology you can also hear it playing.

I have a tape with part of it. When I did a class presentation on evangelicals, I played it. I also showed a video clip from Randall Balmer's "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory" where Josh McDowell spoke to young people about who all they sleep with when they sleep with someone outside marriage--he says they are sleeping with everyone that person has ever slept with. Totally ridiculous. Somehow, people really liked that presentation. I think they got the essence of evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity.

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" has lyrics that can be sung to the Oscar Mayer bologna song. You know, the one that goes "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R..." Try it! If you don't know that one, try singing it to "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" (Beverly Hillbillies theme song). "Amazing Grace" works the same way. Nothing draws stares like belting out a hymn to the tune of a silly ballad.

I used to turn my stereo up to 10 and blast Stryper's version of Battle Hymn. It gave me goosebumps. I was such a geek.

I wish I could say that it's a Brother Jeff Original, but the truth is that I picked up that phrase from Landover Baptist a long time ago and started using it because I loved it.

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, I suppose it does let off steam about my Christian years, but it's also just a great expression that I know blesses the Lard every time I use it! Glory! See, did you look up at the sky just now? Kryasst got happy the moment I shouted that! Glory! :grin:

Ummm, no. Was I supposed to? Last night when I read it, it was dark outside. And now this time when I read it again, the blind was down to keep out the heat. Oh! I hear a sparrow chirping. Maybe that is Jesus being happy. Yes, I think so. G-l-o....I wasn't raised this way; I don't want to say it. Mostly life is pretty good without me saying it.

About the Lard Crisco, I don't have any. All I have is Unico Vegetable Oil. Will that work, too?

On second thought..........what if my serious church-going landlady hears me yelling "Halleluja Unico! God bless Unico Oil"? :Wendywhatever:

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" has lyrics that can be sung to the Oscar Mayer bologna song. You know, the one that goes "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R..." Try it! If you don't know that one, try singing it to "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" (Beverly Hillbillies theme song). "Amazing Grace" works the same way. Nothing draws stares like belting out a hymn to the tune of a silly ballad.

Battle Hymn of the Republic was written to be sung to John Brown's Body; more on him below. Here's the Cyber Hymnal entry of its history:

Words: bio("Ju­lia W. Howe","h/o/w/howe_jw") Ju­lia W. Howe, 1861, alt. This hymn was born dur­ing the Amer­i­can ci­vil war, when Howe vis­it­ed a Un­ion Ar­my camp on the Po­to­mac Riv­er near Wash­ing­ton, D. C. She heard the sol­diers sing­ing the song "John Brown's Body," and was tak­en with the strong march­ing beat. She wrote the words the next day:

I awoke in the grey of the morn­ing, and as I lay wait­ing for dawn, the long lines of the de­sired po­em be­gan to en­twine them­selves in my mind, and I said to my­self, "I must get up and write these vers­es, lest I fall asleep and for­get them!" So I sprang out of bed and in the dim­ness found an old stump of a pen, which I re­mem­bered us­ing the day be­fore. I scrawled the vers­es al­most with­out look­ing at the p­aper.

The hymn ap­peared in the At­lant­ic Month­ly in 1862. It was sung at the fun­er­als of Brit­ish states­man Win­ston Church­ill, Amer­i­can sen­at­or Ro­bert Ken­ne­dy, and Am­er­i­can pre­si­dents Ron­ald Rea­gan and Ri­chard Nix­on.

Music: John Brown's Bo­dy, poss­i­bly by John Will­iam Steffe lmn("j/o/John%20Browns%20Body") (MI­DI, score). John Brown was an Amer­i­can abo­li­tion­ist who led a short lived in­­sur­­rect­­ion to free the slaves. END OF QUOTE

Here's a page with the words of these two songs along with a bit of history around the situation. And here on Famous Trials you can see The Trial of John Brown. Maybe I'm the only person interested in this stuff. I'm just trying to get a feeling for the time and place so I can better understand what prompted the fundamentalist movement. The first fundy theology was written right after the American Civil War. Battle Hymn of the Republic was written for/during that war. And the soldiers were singing John Brown's Body at the war. Not to mention that it's a really rousing tune, easy to march to....it's the kind of music that makes you want to march if you're not already doing it.

Okay, here I found music for John Brown's Body. It's male and female voices. Also several versions of the words...finally I figured out which words they are singing. Seems to be a hodge-podge of versions thrown together as follows:

John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave,

But his soul goes marching on.

Chorus:

Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!

His soul goes marching on.

He captured Harpers Ferry with his nineteen men so few,

And he frightened "Old Virginny" till she trembled through and through,

They hung him for a traitor, themselves a traitor crew,

John Brown died that the slaves might be free.

It's soaked with religious blood. I wish there were secular songs that are just as good music as these old hymns. If I remember correctly, then someone said the one thing evangelicals excelled at was music. They gave the world music that is unsurpassed by any other. And I grew up on the best of this. Acapella evangelical music was one pleasure permitted in my community. And we were good at it! It's the one thing I miss most from my past--just not quite enough to make me go back. With time I might find enough free music on the internet to make up for it.

Here's some history on Battle Hymn of the Republic. If you've got the technology you can also hear it playing.

I have a tape with part of it. When I did a class presentation on evangelicals, I played it. I also showed a video clip from Randall Balmer's "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory" where Josh McDowell spoke to young people about who all they sleep with when they sleep with someone outside marriage--he says they are sleeping with everyone that person has ever slept with. Totally ridiculous. Somehow, people really liked that presentation. I think they got the essence of evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity.

Actually, from a bacterial and microbal POV, he has a point... They can track HIV infections by the DNA of the virus you have :) So, you shag the wrong person and you're virally linked to half the planet...

and from an English standpoint Jerusalem has the same effect.

and from an English standpoint Jerusalem has the same effect.

"Jerusalem" is a great song, even if the content is questionable. I found a version of it that might be more appealing, but it doesn't make as much sense.

AND DID THAT TRUTH IN ANCIENT TIME

And did that truth in ancient time, walk upon lands of mountains green?

And was the voice of reasoned thought, on our land's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the vision grand and high, shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was justice builded here, among these dark and fearful mills?

Discard that bow of burning gold! Forsake those arrows of desire!

Throw down that spear! O clouds, unfold! Subdue those chariots of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight, Nor shall my pen sleep in my hand,

Till we have built a justice clear, in these our green and precious lands.

I found it from the HumanLight website; they link to both the Anthology of Humanist Songs and the Humanist Hymnal. The Hymnal has a large selection; at least two dozen songs.