Goodbye Jesus

I'm Taking God Off Our Money

AKR

http://pics.livejournal.com/project_quarter/pic/00001pqx

i pissed off the wrong person/people at another forum with a thread about this, and so i was banned with no explanation (wasn't the first time).

even some atheists think this is a waste of time, and blah blah blah. but only the ignorant don't see the problem with a religious statement on money. in the US, the 1st ammendment says that congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion, but "in god we trust" is a big "fuck you" to anyone not a christian.

the us treasury has the history of how this came about.

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-shee...-we-trust.shtml

it was a preacher's idea. a christian preacher. what disgusts me is that when someone went to court to try to get it off of our money, the court ruled "Its use is of a patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise."

(from here http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/igwt1.htm)

what

the

fuck?

what sane judge could rule that, fully KNOWING that this was put on the coin at the request of a CHRISTIAN. furthermore, anything making a statement about god-ANY GOD-is religious. it's obvious these motherfuckers were christians and wanted to keep it on there.

this is making a statement for all americans. "in GOD WE trust." it's my money as much as it is the money of a christian, or a duotheist, or a polytheist, or an atheist which could be part of a religion that has no god. by making this statement, it is either ignoring anyone who is not of a specific religion, or it is putting words in our mouths.

if this was the only instance of god and government being combined in steaming bowl of shit, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but the fact is, many christians would love nothing more than a theocracy, and there are many instances of religion ruling the government.

sometimes i feel almost powerless, so i'm doing this as stress reliever, and a symbol of things to come. not everyone looks at their money, but when they do, i want them to see that not everyone is religious; not everyone wants the government to make religious statements, and changing the money back to the way it should be is just the beginning of what some of us will do. give it time. i'm just getting started.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

When you see the slogan on a bank note, why not add some letters to those making up the word God? Thus:

Guns

Oil

Drugs

Cynical, but accurate enough.

Casey

I understand the sentiment but I disagree with the tactics. Defacing money is not the solution. My wife used to write "Trust Jesus" or some such nonsense on all her paper money which pissed me off. I don't need to see "YHWH is THE way" and "Suck Allah's glory pipe and 72 virgins will suck yours!" on there too with the subsequent cross-out and rewrites for each cult and, of course, the Mormons, JW's and Scientologists (and any others) won't want to be left out so we'll have to know they'll start adding their $.02 (pun intended) too.

If you don't like the phrase take another run at changing wording on the money. While you're at it get the whole thing of swearing in on a bible and the like changed too. Until then you'll just be seen as vandals.

mwc

Personally, I prefer my system. My paychecks are directly deposited into my checking account, from which I just spend them via my debit card. Honestly can't remember the last time I actually dealt with paper money.

Though if I were to start handling the rags again, I'd be sorely tempted to take Casey's advice--though the message of religious endorsement would have nothing to do with it. :wicked:

I use money for lunch in the cafeteria and change for the laundry. That's it. I'd hate to see my credit card be used for piddly things like that. My bill would probably be sky high then.

Most likely, but that's why I don't own a credit card. Closest I get is the $100 overdraft on my debit card, and I hate dipping in to that even when it's necessary.

I understand the sentiment but I disagree with the tactics. Defacing money is not the solution. My wife used to write "Trust Jesus" or some such nonsense on all her paper money which pissed me off. I don't need to see "YHWH is THE way" and "Suck Allah's glory pipe and 72 virgins will suck yours!" on there too with the subsequent cross-out and rewrites for each cult and, of course, the Mormons, JW's and Scientologists (and any others) won't want to be left out so we'll have to know they'll start adding their $.02 (pun intended) too.

If you don't like the phrase take another run at changing wording on the money. While you're at it get the whole thing of swearing in on a bible and the like changed too. Until then you'll just be seen as vandals.

mwc

there's nothing illegal about what we've done.

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...aits.shtml#q13

"Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.? This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent."

also, you don't swear on bibles anymore in court. my gf (delicate catastrophe, who is the other person in those pictures) testifies in court for her job, and she said there was no bible.

if you don't see the point of this or don't share my view, that's fine. i'm not going to argue about it. i'm doing what i believe to be the right thing to do, and i'll keep on doing it until i have the power to do something bigger.

there's nothing illegal about what we've done.

Perhaps you can point out in my post where I used the term "illegal?" I said "defacing" which according to the dictionary for "deface" (since we are now quoting sources) is "to mar the surface or appearance of; disfigure." I believe this applies to what you did. I also said that you would be seen as a "vandal" which is "One who willfully or maliciously defaces or destroys public or private property." I believe both terms are apt.

Unless you scrawl onto each coin "This is a protest! We believe in the separation of church and state!" You are just scratching out words on a coin and once they go into a bank will be removed from circulation and destroyed (or should be once this "defacement" is noticed). Thank you for allowing me to pay for your "protest."

also, you don't swear on bibles anymore in court. my gf (delicate catastrophe, who is the other person in those pictures) testifies in court for her job, and she said there was no bible.

Thank you for the correction. Although I was thinking more of the words "so help me god" but I'll assume they are no longer part of the process based on what you've said.

if you don't see the point of this or don't share my view, that's fine. i'm not going to argue about it. i'm doing what i believe to be the right thing to do, and i'll keep on doing it until i have the power to do something bigger.

Of course you're not going to argue about it. What's to argue about?

It's misguided since the only people that even know what the hell you're doing are the people you tell. To everyone else it's just a scratched out word which could be used by our fear mongering government to show how the "Islamic Extremists" are trying to remove our sacred "God" from our money or some other ridiculous thing (I'm not going to take the time to try to think of the many things running through peoples heads) but I'm pretty sure that "Oh look. This is a protest about the separation of church and state" will be right down near the bottom of the list.

As I said, this "protest" actually does cost everyone...not just you. I also gave other reasons why I disagreed with you and you ignored them and instead substituted "illegal" (putting words in my mouth in the process).

As for your "threat" to do something "bigger." I'm almost afraid to ask what that might be.

mwc

sometimes i feel almost powerless, so i'm doing this as stress reliever, and a symbol of things to come. not everyone looks at their money, but when they do, i want them to see that not everyone is religious; not everyone wants the government to make religious statements, and changing the money back to the way it should be is just the beginning of what some of us will do. give it time. i'm just getting started.

:) Very nice, I don't think I'd have the motivation to drill out "god" from quarters, but maybe with a stamp from paper money. I just can't figure out where to buy one :(

godlessmoneytm7.jpg

I too am really bothered by it, when I was an xian, I was told about the mark of the beast which would be required during the end times to make simple purchases as some sort of anti-christian measure... All the while, xians were forcing everyone else of every other faith to laud their god every time money exchanged hands. (I don't know if this is a common xian belief, but I was honestly taught this)

And I'd like to point out that this is specific to xianity, "god" is singular, so it must be monotheistic. Female gods are called goddesses, so it must be a male god. And other monotheistic male god religions are pretty much Abrahamic. Muslims call their god "Allah" not "god" (even though it translates to "god") If it said "in Allah we trust" would xians stand for that? Hell no, they'd whine and bitch and moan saying "its only alright to violate civil rights when we do it." And Jews say "YHWH" or at the very least would dash out the o as in "G-d"

"In god we trust" is not only religious, its distinctly xian, its a direct violation of our constitutional rights, and it goes against the very principles America was founded on.

Oh, and heres an easier way :P

MoneySansGod.jpg

I don't need to see "YHWH is THE way" and "Suck Allah's glory pipe and 72 virgins will suck yours!" on there too with the subsequent cross-out and rewrites for each cult and, of course, the Mormons, JW's and Scientologists (and any others) won't want to be left out so we'll have to know they'll start adding their $.02 (pun intended) too.

Rephrasing by each religious perspective that handles it might get a bit tedious, but surely you can agree with a simple clean crossing out of the religious sentiment altogether. This doesn't make it pro-atheist, it simply makes it secular.

In Ozz it's illegal to deface currency -

Extract from Crimes (Currency) Act 1981

Defacing or destroying current coins or current paper money

16. A person shall not wilfully deface, disfigure, mutilate or destroy any coin or paper money that is lawfully current in Australia. Penalty:

(a) in the case of a person, not being a body corporate - $5,000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both; or in the case of a person, being a body corporate - $10,000.

It's also against the law to damage or deface currency in Japan, I don't know what the penalties are but from experience I'd expect they are higher than Oz.

16. A person shall not wilfully deface, disfigure, mutilate or destroy any coin or paper money that is lawfully current in Australia. Penalty:

(a) in the case of a person, not being a body corporate - $5,000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both; or in the case of a person, being a body corporate - $10,000.

It's also against the law to damage or deface currency in Japan, I don't know what the penalties are but from experience I'd expect they are higher than Oz.

point? i'm not in those countries.

Perhaps you can point out in my post where I used the term "illegal?" I said "defacing" which according to the dictionary for "deface" (since we are now quoting sources) is "to mar the surface or appearance of; disfigure." I believe this applies to what you did. I also said that you would be seen as a "vandal" which is "One who willfully or maliciously defaces or destroys public or private property." I believe both terms are apt.

i didn't destroy anything. stop whining. you didn't use the term "illegal," but you implied it with your "vandal" remark. by the ignorant, we may be seen as vandals, but by the intelligent, we will be seen as a positive force. no harm was done to the money; it just had something unconstitutional removed from it. if someone wants to whine that it's vandalism, it's not my fault they care more about a scratch in a coin than the fact that "in god we trust" is unconstitutional. tough shit for them, and tough shit for you. what are you going to do about it? nothing. you can't do shit, because it's not illegal.

Unless you scrawl onto each coin "This is a protest! We believe in the separation of church and state!" You are just scratching out words on a coin and once they go into a bank will be removed from circulation and destroyed (or should be once this "defacement" is noticed). Thank you for allowing me to pay for your "protest."

lol, most people are smart enough to understand the mere fact of god being crossed off is a protest. it doesn't take a genius to figure out the point. the coins will not be removed, as they are perfectly acceptable as currency. seeing as how i've spent $30 worth of it already, i'd say you're wrong. no bank is going to bother getting rid of some quarters because they've been scratched. nothing on the coins have been changed enough to warrant disposal. stop embarassing yourself.

Thank you for the correction. Although I was thinking more of the words "so help me god" but I'll assume they are no longer part of the process based on what you've said.

Of course you're not going to argue about it. What's to argue about?

It's misguided since the only people that even know what the hell you're doing are the people you tell. To everyone else it's just a scratched out word which could be used by our fear mongering government to show how the "Islamic Extremists" are trying to remove our sacred "God" from our money or some other ridiculous thing (I'm not going to take the time to try to think of the many things running through peoples heads) but I'm pretty sure that "Oh look. This is a protest about the separation of church and state" will be right down near the bottom of the list.

As I said, this "protest" actually does cost everyone...not just you. I also gave other reasons why I disagreed with you and you ignored them and instead substituted "illegal" (putting words in my mouth in the process).

As for your "threat" to do something "bigger." I'm almost afraid to ask what that might be.

mwc

well, i'm a musician, for one thing. some of my songs are related to theocracy and anti-christianity in general. a few coins might not get noticed, but a popular musician will (haven't released anything yet, though). and i'm willing to resort to anything if it protects me from religion. push religion on me, and i'll push back, no matter what it takes. if you don't plan on pushing religion on me, you have nothing to worry about. you're afraid of the wrong people, and that's sad.

as for the rest of your post, i'm not going to bother. you're just looking for an excuse to piss yourself about this. the coins will not be removed, so stop whining and get on with your life. it'll be ok.

No point at all. :shrug: Just relaying a fact. America has a little freedom in that respect. :grin:

No point at all. :shrug: Just relaying a fact. America has a little freedom in that respect. :grin:
Took me a while to realize that guy was shrugging, looked like he was trying to cop a feel.

no harm was done to the money; it just had something unconstitutional removed from it.

The money itself is, it can be argued, unconstitutional. Ever come across this in your travels?

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
(Emphasis mine)

US Dollars are just bits of paper with fancy intaglio printing on them, and US coins are slugs, worthless metal no better than the notes are. For that matter the same is true of money the world over these days. Every scrap of paper (or plastic in the case of AUS Dollars) and every worthless slug stamped out actually represents an amount of debt. If you have a $100 dollar bill in your pocket, the sum of $100 had to be borrowed by someone somewhere, or borrowed by the US Government. That's all very well until the point is reached where the debts can no longer be paid, and that point is I should say, fast approaching. That was why the Founding Fathers wrote that Article into the Constitution; they had seen what happens when fiat money collapses.

Therefore to me it doesn't matter if they'd scrawled (or stamped) "In Satan We Trust" on every single one of 'em. If the Government wanted to be honest, they would probably print or stamp this slogan on the money:

In debt we trust

There are some things money can't buy,

For everything else, there is 30% interest.

They won't do it of course. Not only would Mastercard be pissed off, worse still the sheeple might awaken to the swindle that has been foisted upon them since 1913. Besides which, since when has it been in any Government's interest to be honest?

Casey

i didn't destroy anything. stop whining. you didn't use the term "illegal," but you implied it with your "vandal" remark.

Actually, you inferred it. Note the definition of "vandal" includes "defacing" which is what you are doing and it does not say anything about an illegal action.

by the ignorant, we may be seen as vandals, but by the intelligent, we will be seen as a positive force. no harm was done to the money; it just had something unconstitutional removed from it.

If no harm was done to the money how do you explain the gouges ("A scooping or digging action, as with such a chisel")? If you mean the money is still functional as money, then you are correct, no "harm" was done.

As for something "unconstitutional" being removed. I suppose you'd know best.

While you're at it why don't you start burning. shredding or just giving away your paper money since it's ambiguous as to it's legality and I just know you'd want to right that old wrong:

"The Legal Tender Cases were a series of United States Supreme Court cases in the latter part of the nineteenth century that affirmed the constitutionality of paper money. In the 1870 case of Hepburn v. Griswold, the Court had held that paper money violated the United States Constitution. The Legal Tender Cases reversed Hepburn, beginning with Knox v. Lee and Parker v. Davis in 1871,[1] and then Juilliard v. Greenman in 1884.[2]" (from the Wiki on Legal Tender Cases)

Don't really care about that one though do you? I guess it's not so much about the Constitution after all as much as your tiny little part of it.

But what do I know? I just fall into that "ignorant" category. Oh, to be among the "intelligent" so I could see you for what you really are. Sadly I just saw two people with hand tools vandalizing money.

if someone wants to whine that it's vandalism, it's not my fault they care more about a scratch in a coin than the fact that "in god we trust" is unconstitutional. tough shit for them, and tough shit for you.

And again...HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THAT IS WHAT THE MIGHTY FUCKING SCRATCH IS TO PROTEST!

Is this too complicated for you to understand? It is a SCRATCH. A GOUGE. The MESSAGE is in YOUR HEAD. At least the stamp that someone else posted is understandable in that it uses the more universal circle with the line through it. It still does not convey that it is a protest in favor of the separation of church and state but it is at least understandable as something.

But tough shit for me for wanting a MESSAGE to MAKE SENSE. I am an arrogant bastard that way.

what are you going to do about it? nothing. you can't do shit, because it's not illegal.

Are you confusing me with someone in your life that might give a shit about you? I'm not your parents. Don't "rebel" against me. Picking a fight over the net or thinking I'm going to call the Secret Service on our super activists or whatever you seem to be thinking is somewhat delusional and just a little funny.

And let me clue you in. Quit using the word "illegal." You're the only one in this that keeps using it. The law is pretty clear on things that can be done with money. It's why you can smash a penny at an amusement park and not be arrested on the spot dumb ass. So drop the rebel act. My 9 year niece is a rebel by this measure.

lol, most people are smart enough to understand the mere fact of god being crossed off is a protest. it doesn't take a genius to figure out the point. the coins will not be removed, as they are perfectly acceptable as currency. seeing as how i've spent $30 worth of it already, i'd say you're wrong. no bank is going to bother getting rid of some quarters because they've been scratched. nothing on the coins have been changed enough to warrant disposal. stop embarassing yourself.

Have you even read the posts of the people that come to this site and others like them? That said, what will they think this "protest" is about? You already know so I think you just might guess the right answer but I already told you that people will not think "Oh, this is about the separation of church and state." They will think it is an "attack" on "god" in general. Atheists are already the least trusted group in this country and you're not helping make that better with this unfocused "protest." Unless people know what it means it's just vandalism (and even then to most it will still be vandalism).

well, i'm a musician, for one thing. some of my songs are related to theocracy and anti-christianity in general. a few coins might not get noticed, but a popular musician will (haven't released anything yet, though). and i'm willing to resort to anything if it protects me from religion. push religion on me, and i'll push back, no matter what it takes. if you don't plan on pushing religion on me, you have nothing to worry about. you're afraid of the wrong people, and that's sad.

No. I'm afraid of all the right people. Perhaps you need to stop being so afraid and projecting your fears onto others and lashing out? You seem to be a generally friendly person otherwise.

Good luck with your music. One reason I've said that I disagree with your current "protest" is that the message is unclear but perhaps you can do better through song. I'm sure it will help focus all this energy once things take off for you.

as for the rest of your post, i'm not going to bother. you're just looking for an excuse to piss yourself about this. the coins will not be removed, so stop whining and get on with your life. it'll be ok.

Again, you confuse me with someone else entirely. The world isn't going to agree with your every idea and a stupid idea is a stupid idea. I guess I was the only one who said anything negative. I'm not sorry since it will hopefully make your next idea better. People need to understand your message for a protest to have any impact. You can't expect them to "guess" at what the whole damn thing is. Maybe they will and maybe they won't but that's just a waste of time. Why bother? Doing something for the sake of doing something wasn't the point was it? If so, then kudos. But otherwise I thought it was a waste of time that makes atheists look like vandals (and I get that it isn't illegal so no need to go down that road again).

I understand that you think that you cannot work with the system to get things done so this is your effort to work outside the system to get that attention that this hot button issue so sorely needs. Once the general public, and the Supreme Court, lay eyes on these damaged quarters you can be sure that this ruling will be changed. No need for lengthy legal proceedings. It's like when people see a tagged wall. It generates nothing but sympathy for that tagger and his cohorts. It is a "no fail" tactic. Good job!

Anyhow, I have to go...I've pissed myself over your clever plan and must clean up.

mwc

alright, just didn't know if you were trying to pick a fight, like the person who wasted their time writing that last post i'm not going to bother reading. :)

alright, just didn't know if you were trying to pick a fight, like the person who wasted their time writing that last post i'm not going to bother reading. :)

:lmao:

mwc

We need a new batch of fundies around here, before we eat our own.... :lol:

:Doh: Calm down, the topic is hardly worth an argument.

And if arguing about terms and words is worth protesting then it's time we Canadians let our voices be heard. I absolutely hate it when Americans talk as though they owned America. Their hunk of land is NOT the whole of America. Look at the vast stretches of land north and south of mainland US. There's all of Canada and all of Mexico and then another huge continent beyond that.

Americans have the United States of America, but that's all they've got--just the states that united. The rest of us didn't unite with them. We are nations in our own right because that is how we want it. So what Americans are speaking for is the US or USA--NOT America. I never understand why they can't get that into their heads.

Like Woody, I don't even touch paper money anymore. Rarely, I may handle a little of it, but it's just too convenient to use my debit card, where no wacky Xian slogans are to be found :)

But if it gives some Americans solace to stamp out "God" on their currency, then let them do so. Yes, there are more potent things people can do to help push the Xian monster into its grave, but stamping out "God" on a dollar is all some folks can manage. And in truth, vandalistic though it is, the phrase has no business being there.

So what Americans are speaking for is the US or USA--NOT America. I never understand why they can't get that into their heads.

In all fairness, US residents first coined the term "American" so it's ours to do with as we choose.

I also have never heard Canada or Mexico refer to themselves as "America" or "American" to the best of my knowledge, so why make an issue of a non-issue?

Besides, it sounds better to say I'm an American than I'm a United Stateser ;)

And if arguing about terms and words is worth protesting then it's time we Canadians let our voices be heard. I absolutely hate it when Americans talk as though they owned America. Their hunk of land is NOT the whole of America. Look at the vast stretches of land north and south of mainland US. There's all of Canada and all of Mexico and then another huge continent beyond that.

Americans have the United States of America, but that's all they've got--just the states that united. The rest of us didn't unite with them. We are nations in our own right because that is how we want it. So what Americans are speaking for is the US or USA--NOT America. I never understand why they can't get that into their heads.

Ruby, I've said it before, America is the name of our country. It does not refer to the continent N America, which includes Canada and Mexico, it just happens to share a similar name. What would you have us call ourselves?

We are North Americans like you. But we are also Americans, unlike you. Capice?

This is a silly rant.

Ahem.

The name of our country, thank you very much! You keep your grubby commie paws off! :glare:

>.>

<.<

>.>

:HaHa:

Ah, hell, who am I trying to kid? No one else would take our country if we payed them for it! :lmao:

Do what I do.

Take a bright colored marker, scribble out "God" and write "Satan" above it.

Just make sure it is bright so people notice it.