Photo

Apostasy And Liberal/mainline Christianity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Compare liberal/mainline to fundie deconversion experiences. (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you deconvert from liberal/mainline Christianity?

1. Yes, I did. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Eh, sort of. It's a bit more complicated than that. (1 votes [20.00%])

3. Eh... I came from an in-between place, somewhere between fundyism and liberalism. (1 votes [20.00%])

4. My church was technically fundy but not too hardcore. (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

5. My church was fundy as hell, the antithesis of liberal. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think liberal/mainline ex-Christians have "gotten off easier" than fundy ex-Christians?

1. Not at all. (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Not really. (1 votes [20.00%])

3. It depends. (1 votes [20.00%])

4. Yeah, kind of. (1 votes [20.00%])

5. Oh, yes. Totally. (1 votes [20.00%])

6. Other (please specify) (1 votes [20.00%])

If you deconverted from mainline/liberal Christianity, which of the following best describes your experience?

1. Just a slow drift where I very gradually lapsed out of it. (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. It was sudden and tramautic, like many of the deconversion stories here. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. It wasn't so sudden, but it was traumatic, like some other stories here. (1 votes [20.00%])

4. I suddenly decided I didn't believe anymore, but it wasn't traumatic. My world didn't come crashing down. (1 votes [20.00%])

5. I decided not to take it seriously in my childhood/teenage years, and then I became an adult. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Eh, I can't even say that I've deconverted. Why bother? (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Other (Please Specify) (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote

#1 Vomit Comet

Vomit Comet

Rationalist

• 5,110 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Think not? Hope not?

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I've been going through existing research literature on apostasy. (I'll have a nice fat juicy literature review for y'all to read in a few months. But I'm doing it for my own professional purposes, just so you know.) Over and over and over again, it is stated that the rates of apostasy are much, much higher for liberal/mainline Protestantism than they are for "conservative Protestants" or for Catholics. Although from what I've seen so far, the definition of "apostasy" is fuzzy, and often doesn't capture the intensive "deconversion" experiences commonly detailed here. Much of the time, apostasy describes someone who just kind of slowly drifted out. More "meh, whatever" than "oh fuck, I'm going to hell now! Oh fuck oh fuck!!!!"

But anyways, that liberal/mainline churches have much higher rates of apostasy is a finding that has been consistently found to be the case ever since the late 70s when it first came to light. The latest data everyone is raving about only further confirms this: we're not growing less religious as a country, we're growing more polarized! Atheists and agnostics are growing, rather than declining the fundies are either holding on or growing in places, and the liberal/mainline churches are just disappearing. (In fact, that may be a big reason why the non/anti-religious ranks are growing!) The moderate center is falling out, basically. Rough times ahead, so don't rest on your laurels just yet!

So anyways, we're interested in ex-Christianity here. So... answer the poll!

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

#2 Vomit Comet

Vomit Comet

Rationalist

• 5,110 posts
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :Think not? Hope not?

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Aw shit, I fucked up. :banghead:

Could one of you mods add "I did not deconvert from mainline/liberal Christianity" as an option under the third question? Thanks very much. :)

Edited by Vomit Comet, 26 March 2009 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users