Goodbye Jesus

Ernest Hemingway

Wendybabe

The first time I read, "The Old Man and the Sea" I had a hard time with it. Now I love it, can't get enough of it. What do you think about him?

• Super Moderator

I love that book, and have enjoyed some of his others. A great, iconic writer no doubt.

In his personal life, he seemed a bit too much of a "man's man." I'm not a fan of killing exotic game animals and collecting dead trophies, and that's what he was all about. Hard drinking tough guy. My guess is he was a closet case.

Still, great author.

• 1 month later...

I think the only thing I've read of his is A Farewell to Arms and it's been so long that I hardly remember it. I should give it another go.

• 1 month later...

I've read some of his shorts and a little of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and I'm sorry, I don't care for his book. I just don't like the way he writes dialoge.

No.

He's an annoying blowhard.

But I think he would have kicked ass as a character in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

No.

He's an annoying blowhard.

But I think he would have kicked ass as a character in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

He definately would've. Truth is that nobody in my family likes his writing (except for "Old Man and the Sea").

• 5 weeks later...
Guest heresy is progress

I've read some of his shorts and a little of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and I'm sorry, I don't care for his book. I just don't like the way he writes dialoge.

really? I like his dialogue. he pares everything down to the absolute bare essence. not one word wasted...