Goodbye Jesus

Atheist=occult

Lawlbringer

Hello all. Been away for a bit. I am still deployed for a bit. Wanted to share something I find ridiculous.

I was sitting at my computer at work and decided to search "Atheist". I was just looking to get some news and whatnot. I click on the link.....and the Marine Corps blocked the website www.atheists.org....category=Occult?!?! Serious!? Meanwhile I am free to check out any and all Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist websites. Give me a break.

I get it...they would rather us believe in a God because it's makes "the mission" the killing easier to accept possibly. If your told that God is on your side then I guess you can deal with war in a different manner. You got a reason to risk your life. Shoot, I know now this is the only life o have. This is it. I see through all the bull shit now.

I have always had this urge to get out...especially since my ideals no longer match up to this organization. Almost as if I have had an awakening. The reasons I joined at age 18 are not the same at my current age of 30. It's tough because after this contract of 3 years I will have 5 years left to retirement....but for what? A $2.5-3k check monthly until I die, medical, base privileges.

Just had to vent. Seriously, when did Atheist=Occult.

Glad i'm not a marine, I'd rather not pretend to believe in god while simultaneously being fisted by uncle SAM. Good luck to you though.

Stay in and retire, you won't regret it.

I agree, my friend's dad stayed in for those extra couple of years and he absolutely hated the military (he was Army). He couldn't stand it, said it was one of the biggest bureaucratic cluster fucks he's ever seen, BUT those few extra years set him up for a nice retirement. You've been in 12 years already seems like it would be a waste to not stick it out and get a killer retirement package...but that's just me!

Anyways, in regards to the religiosity of the military it's definitely pervasive and deeply ingrained...something that's gonna be hard to avoid.

The religion that symbolically eats flesh and drinks blood is okie-dokie, but non-belief is a cult. Xian logic at it's finest.

• Like 2

I agree, my friend's dad stayed in for those extra couple of years and he absolutely hated the military (he was Army). He couldn't stand it, said it was one of the biggest bureaucratic cluster fucks he's ever seen, BUT those few extra years set him up for a nice retirement. You've been in 12 years already seems like it would be a waste to not stick it out and get a killer retirement package...but that's just me!

Unless he's going to go work for his father's advertising agency in Manhattan, I'll give that a big fat plus one!

I would stay in and retire these days. If you leave at the end of your enlistment you will have to work 20+ years for someone else before retiring and then you will get crappy SS and/or a retirement check of a few hundred bucks a month. $2k beats the hell out of SS and no other retirement! Then you may not find health care of any kind. I get the VA and it's no bargain!

Guest Babylonian Dream

I think there's a subtle admission of something in there. I think they're admitting that theists are more likely to kill or be able to do it, than atheists. Don't know how I should take that.

How can you have served for so long and be letting this petty bullshit get to you? This is nothing new, but you've made it this far. Don't sacrifice your pension over something as ridiculous as this. You're a freaking Marine. You're harder than that!

But I must say my inner geek is dying to point out that occult means hidden. Christians profess to all kinds of hidden knowledge, so actually, they're occult. Not atheists.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else. You've invested way way way too much time don't leave now. You will be glad you stayed in the long run. It may suck for a while and you may have to bite your tongue but hardly anyone gets a retirement anymore and who the hell knows if those of us younger than 55 will ever see social security or medicare.

However, I can't believe that anyone would think atheism is related to the occult. How ridiculous.

But I must say my inner geek is dying to point out that occult means hidden.

Which is exactly what those atheist sites are.

How can you have served for so long and be letting this petty bullshit get to you? This is nothing new, but you've made it this far. Don't sacrifice your pension over something as ridiculous as this. You're a freaking Marine. You're harder than that!

+1.

I'm not a military man- so I'm not speaking from experience... just speaking based on what I'm told. But it's my understanding that in the military, it's essentially your JOB to put up with petty bullshit. Petty bullshit is what the military DOES. Am I wrong?

2 or 3 thousand $$ a month is nothing to sneeze at. I ain't in your shoes... but unless you're just terribly unhappy to the point of being dysfunctional- I think you'd do well to stick it out.

What the other posters are forgetting is that the Marines are the first in to conflicts when the bullets are flying. If you were in the Navy or Air Force, where you would be very secure, I also would encourage you to stick it out. In the eight years you have left, however, you could be in the front lines of two or three additional "splendid little wars" that our politicians / defense contractors / oil corporations love to get us involved in. Figure that into your considerations.

• Like 1

I highly doubt any posters are forgetting that fact, George. And since he's been a Marine for so many years, he's probably comfortable with that aspect of his job.

I highly doubt any posters are forgetting that fact, George. And since he's been a Marine for so many years, he's probably comfortable with that aspect of his job.

Comfortable getting shot at? Sure.

Yes. Because that is all you do when you're in the military. :Wendywhatever:

But someone who has been in for over a decade has probably learned to not live in fear unlike a certain giant, hairy, sneering Bohemian vagina.

Yes. Because that is all you do when you're in the military. :Wendywhatever:

But someone who has been in for over a decade has probably learned to not live in fear unlike a certain giant, hairy, sneering Bohemian vagina.

Of course, brainless armchair super-patriots (let's call him John Wayne, shall we? Or do you think Ted Nugent is more appropriate? Both of them are real flag-wavers when it came to someone else getting shot at, but not them) are fine sitting at home and advising other people to put themselves in harm's way - themselves, not so much.

As I have said, and which you seem to have trouble reading, it is ONE of the factors to consider.

(On another subject, great picture - you look real butch in your little hard-hat. Good cover.)

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they are brainless, a lot of people go in for all the right reasons, how the government steers the military is a completely different story altogether.

Didn't you know that USMC stands for United States Marines for Christ?

I think there's a subtle admission of something in there. I think they're admitting that theists are more likely to kill or be able to do it, than atheists. Don't know how I should take that.

Well, I can't speak for all brands of theism, but I do believe that christianity is one of the religions that is based on the desire to control people. That's why Constantine forced it on his subjects. So, it makes sense that the military, which thrives by having people who unquestionably obey authority, would employ christianity for that purpose as well.

If they're allowing websites of other religions, then I'm not sure that what they are doing, as a government resource, is entirely legal. (I'd put good money down that websites for pagan religions would be caught in the occult filter).

My guess is that an admin didn't uncheck the wrong box.

My guess is that an admin didn't uncheck the wrong box.

That's another indication of why we call the Navy/Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI), No More Communications Internally

Hello all. Been away for a bit. I am still deployed for a bit. Wanted to share something I find ridiculous.

I was sitting at my computer at work and decided to search "Atheist". I was just looking to get some news and whatnot. I click on the link.....and the Marine Corps blocked the website www.atheists.org....category=Occult?!?! Serious!? Meanwhile I am free to check out any and all Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist websites. Give me a break.

I get it...they would rather us believe in a God because it's makes "the mission" the killing easier to accept possibly. If your told that God is on your side then I guess you can deal with war in a different manner. You got a reason to risk your life. Shoot, I know now this is the only life o have. This is it. I see through all the bull shit now.

I have always had this urge to get out...especially since my ideals no longer match up to this organization. Almost as if I have had an awakening. The reasons I joined at age 18 are not the same at my current age of 30. It's tough because after this contract of 3 years I will have 5 years left to retirement....but for what? A $2.5-3k check monthly until I die, medical, base privileges.

Just had to vent. Seriously, when did Atheist=Occult.

Um, what?!!! This is actually news worthy. Even if it did have to do with the occult (which is absolutely absurd), they couldn't block it anymore than they could block a Christian site. You should pursue this. Atheists and others have been oppressed by the military system for years. It's bullshit.

I was an Army man myself. I got out. I couldn't live the contradiction anymore, fighting for something I didn't believe in or support. On the other hand, yes....even that small retirement could be huge for you in the future. I don't know, man. Life is a long stream of tragedies, and the harder you try to make the right decisions about life, the more life surprises you and makes you second guess yourself. I sympathize with you, but I guess that's all I can do. I don't have any confident answer, and I would be cautious of anyone who does offer you an answer to your problem with confidence. In this life, you just can't make decisions with that kind of certainty.