Goodbye Jesus

What Were The Most Douchebag-Y Things You Did As A Christian?

BendyLine

I've been seeing this thread for a while, but couldn't think of any thing douchebaggy. For a while though, I've been feeling really bad about something that happened at my previous school. I don't know why I didn't make the connection till now.... One of my friends is openly gay, and it never bothered me. The only problem was when he wanted my support, I couldn't give it to him because of stupid christianity. I was really confused on the matter and I told him I had no problem with him, but as I was taught, being gay is a sin... I didn't really know what to do about it, and I know he was disappointed. I really want to tell him I deconverted and that I completely support him, but we don't talk that much anymore since I transferred to a new school and I don't know if that would be weird to randomly message him about that. So, yeah... I really regret that, and I wish I wasn't so... brainwashed sad.png

I don't think it would be weird.  I think he would be thrilled to hear from you.  Maybe go out for coffee and chat about it.

I don't think it would be weird.  I think he would be thrilled to hear from you.  Maybe go out for coffee and chat about it.

I'd like to. I need to just make myself do it. I want to tell him sorry for being blind at the time. I do miss hanging out with him. Thanks for that :)

• Super Moderator

I'd like to. I need to just make myself do it. I want to tell him sorry for being blind at the time. I do miss hanging out with him. Thanks for that smile.png

I'm with FreeThinker on this.  Call him; send him a text or email.  Just tell him you want to reconnect.  You can bring up the subject once you have him face-to-face.  One of the most liberating things I ever did after deconversion was to make a list of everybody I'd ever done wrong and make amends to each one of them.  If he's the only one on your list, then you did a damn sight better than I did; and you shouldn't pass up the opportunity of continuing a good friendship because of your past beliefs.

• Like 1

I'd like to. I need to just make myself do it. I want to tell him sorry for being blind at the time. I do miss hanging out with him. Thanks for that smile.png

I'm with FreeThinker on this.  Call him; send him a text or email.  Just tell him you want to reconnect.  You can bring up the subject once you have him face-to-face.  One of the most liberating things I ever did after deconversion was to make a list of everybody I'd ever done wrong and make amends to each one of them.  If he's the only one on your list, then you did a damn sight better than I did; and you shouldn't pass up the opportunity of continuing a good friendship because of your past beliefs.

I sent him a message a few hours ago. Hopefully it goes well >.< ahhh!!! Thanks for your advice. I think I would regret if I never told him. How did the people on your list respond when you reached out to them and told them about your change of heart? He's the only one on my list that I can think of now. I always tried not to shove my beliefs on anyone and usually only talked about it if they asked me. 

• Like 1

I actually influenced quite some people to become Christians. I did this with my lifestyle and through "alpha courses", introductury courses to Christianity where people can come with their questions - now I know that we didn't have any answers. This course led many people to convert. I feel bad for getting people in religion.

I wonder how my decision to become an atheist influences the people around me. I make no attempt to keep it secret, though I also don't try to convince people of anything.

Fortunately I dont think I converted anyone.  I went on some forums, spouting nonsense, and quoting scripture at people. I was generally pretty nice to people except occasionally would tell proselytizing atheists online they were deluded, or possessed. And will say atheism was a false religion to wind them up. Something I am ashamed of.  The problem though was mainly in my head.  The self-imposed delusion and being conflicted with the biblical nonsense and contradictions.  Why did I go along with it for so long?

Why did I go along with it for so long?

i know the reason why i did was because no matter what, god was justified. genocide? homophobia? sexism? god is justified. and it's US who have to change either out interpretations or ourselves. god himself is never the root of a problem. it's our sin nature.

i am so glad i broke free

• Like 1

On a trafficked city street I decided to try casting Satan out of a guy in a wheelchair who was paraplegic and really pissed off at me for it.

• Like 4

On a trafficked city street I decided to try casting Satan out of a guy in a wheelchair who was paraplegic and really pissed off at me for it.

Is it wrong that I am cracking up laughing at the thought of this, Voice?! 

Besides, what if it was God's Plan that the dude be in a wheelchair so he could learn valuable lessons? You were trying to ruin God's Plan! 

Oh Voice, I'm cringing. What did they do to us?

Feeling somewhat 'smug' about being saved and yet felt sorry for those who weren't. It just wasn't my fault that they wouldn't believe the 'truth'...... closedeyes.gif Wendyshrug.gif

Is it wrong that I am cracking up laughing at the thought of this, Voice?! 

Besides, what if it was God's Plan that the dude be in a wheelchair so he could learn valuable lessons? You were trying to ruin God's Plan! 

Oh, I'm sorry, Voice!  This actually made me laugh, too!  Oh, the poor guy!  Oh, poor you!  Oh, oh, oh . . .  Sorry, it's so horrible and tragic, it's funny!

- I had a judgemental view of anyone that left my church. They were all lukewarm, rebels, or backsliders. Even my own friends that left. Even if they still professed to be christians, I knew they were out of the will of God because they had left my own particular denomination.

- As others have mentioned, my non-christian friends were more like acquaintances than friends. I could never really open up to them because I was too embarrassed to tell most of them that I was a christian. It was like having a double life in school. One friend in primary school got saved due to my coaxing, but I don't think he fully understood what it was all about anyway. Thank god haha

It's like if you have a natural disposition to be a bit introverted, then being raised as a christian only amplifies that introversion. You're always the odd one out and always on the edge of being ridiculed if your friends find out what you do on sunday. One kid in school always called me Flanders haha

- Someone mentioned grandfathers. My grandfather was not a believer. On his deathbed my dad tried to get my grandfather to say a sinner's prayer, but he completely refused. Later on I was asked if I wanted a photo of him. It was this neat photo of him in a bar playing pool - just picture the Marlboro man, that was like my grandfather. My christian instincts kicked in and I thought, "Why would a want a photo of someone that's in hell?" "What's the point of idolizing this man if he was a drinking, smoking, unbeliever and I'll never see him in heaven anyway?". I kept the photo anyway, and I'm glad I did. Now that I've deconverted, I really wish I could talk to him now that I've regained my sanity. I think it's great he refused to say that dumb prayer on his death bed. The guy kept his integrity.

- I remember going to this training session for work, and I started telling everyone how prayer for the sick really works and how I've seen amazing miracles. The room went quiet and people were trying to avoid eye contact with me lol   But that's their problem for resisting the truth and being blinded by their sin! 

- I took a course in college and there was only one girl in the class, a few years older than me. We ended up becoming friends and one day she asked for my email address. I gave it to her, and she surprised me by writing a long email of how she feels on fire when she brushes against me, etc. But I'd basically continue witnessing to her and telling her about my christianity. I even convinced her to come to a church service. Then one time on the phone she says to me, "Can you just come over and not be a Christian for one day?". I said, "No I can't, sorry."

You frickin IDIOT WendyDoh.gif WendyDoh.gif

I cringe every time I think about it.

Holy shit, Voice, that's both sad and hilarious at the same time. I'm glad you've come to your senses though :)