Goodbye Jesus

Active Involvement With Charity

RipVanWinkle

I saw a DVD movie recently about a woman, 61 years old, who was deaf and blind from age 14.She is Chinese and speaks Mandarin. She was able to go to a school for the deaf and blind her in the US.

Get this: She learned how to speak English. Yes I said speak. She was taught by a blind man. She speaks English quite well for someone who never heard it spoken even as she was being taught. While in the US she learned to ice skate, dance, ride horses, and cook. The video showed her cooking an entire meal, not just by heating up food. She made meals from scratch. It was amazing watching her using her cooking skills.  

Also, she teaches the deaf and the blind to stitch, cook and other activities of daily living. She had a husband, but he died. He died a 4:55 am on Christmas morning. Every year she finds herself in tears at 4:55 Christmas morning. But she otherwise is happy and active.She actually played the role of Juliet in Romeo and Juliet in an amateur play. 

On the one hand she is very inspiring. On the other hand I feel like the biggest loser. She said she believed in God, but it is unknown whether she is a christian. She says she trusts god, but she doesn't understand why god would take these things from her. But she absolutely refused to give up,

What enabled her to succeed beyond all expectations under these circumstances? Was it her "trust" in god, despite the fact that he let her down in the most horrible ways? I don't mean to ask if god got her through her many trials. There too many reasons why that doesn't make sense. Like, why her, while millions suffer things as bad. No, I just wonder if the trust she says she has in "god" could make the difference. What are your thoughts?  bill

Here is my viewpoint on this.

I get why people believe in god. I get how people believe all that bs about god testing you or making you a better person. It gives them a reason or excuse for something bad happening to them or someone they hold close. Worded in the right way it can seem like it is within gods great plan. It's not that way in real life. Bad things happen to people, they always have and the only way people make it through bad things is perseverance. We have made it through the evolutionary gauntlet to be able to survive and adapt to what happens to us.

If she was never told of god she would likely not believe in a god and still be able to speak English and do all these wonderful things. Belief in a god does not make a person great. People are great on their own regardless if they believe in god or not.

there are people who believe in god and live well....

there are people who believe in god and die miserably/tragically....

there are people who don't believe in god and live well....

there are people who don't believe in god and die miserably/tragically......

god in many situations are just circumstantial, being at the right place at the right time when someone decides to see the good in god,,,,,

• Like 1

For some people, a belief in God gives them hope and an inner strength. This lady may be such a person.

• Super Moderator

My first thought is Placebo Effect.  She believes her trust in god helps her, so it does.  I'd warrant it's psychological.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like she has just confused her own will power with a higher power.  IOW, she got her labels mixed up.