Goodbye Jesus

World Wide Telescope. Awesome Free Astronomy Program.

ContraBardus

Designed for educational purposes World Wide Telescope is made to use on PC, for standard screens, projectors, Oculus Rift, and Planetarium Dome screens. It's free and pretty easy to use.

The 3D is pretty cool, I've been using the Oculus Rift DK2 with it and it's pretty impressive. It's not the best Tech demo for the Rift, but it's still cool to look about the Solar System in 3D. Anything outside the solar system is in 2D, but depth is still present. It's kind of like looking at an image on a domed screen. It's got some great images of radio, x-ray, infrared, gamma, microwave, and other views of the cosmos as well.

Lots of high rez photographs of planets, stars, galaxies, and other interesting things that float about in the sky. Lots of images of Mars as well, including a couple of panoramic shots made on the surface. I've also spent some time messing with it in 2D on a standard monitor and for the price it's very impressive.

It also has tours that can be downloaded that has a scientist give a planetarium style presentation about particular objects or regions in space that are also free to download.

If you have a very nice telescope that can be synced up with a computer you can use this program to do so. It requires that you download an additional driver to do so, but that is also free.

It's a neat astronomy toy that's fun to play with and you can't beat free.

Seriously, check this thing out. If nothing else it's good for an afternoon of messing about in.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/

This isn't the most feature heavy program like this I've ever seen, but it's worth a look.

Do you HAVE to have the telescope?

No, that's just a feature. It can sync up with certain types of telescopes. All you need is a PC and Monitor to run this. It's made up of various telescope and satellite images.

It also has a Bing Maps globe of the Earth. I prefer Google Maps, but I was able to zoom in and find my house on the globe.

You can also use an Xbox 360 controller if you've got one hooked up to your PC to control it.