Goodbye Jesus

Courage

Woodsy

Saw this quote the other day....

"Courage is the ability to reclaim your life by standing up to your imaginary fears."

I think all of us ex-c's are in this quest for courage to some degree, standing up to imaginary fears. I know I am and I hope that my courage can grow as I reclaim my life.

• Like 2

I suppose realizing that a fear is imaginary is a huge step towards defeating it.

• Like 1

I agree.

Especially during my teens.  Terror of "going to hell" ( love how I say that SOOO sarcastically now) was a constant fear of mine day in and day out.  Fear of being hated for being gay, for certain types of non-Christian films I loved to watch, etc.  Fear of some temperamental "god."  Now I live in courage and confidence.  To paraphrase a character I liked from a show, at one time I was afraid of them.  Now I see them (fundamentalist Christians) as an "intergalactic joke."

And a pathetic one at that.

I suppose realizing that a fear is imaginary is a huge step towards defeating it.

Much fear is actually an emotional response and is caused by physical chemical reactions in our brain and body.  The memories of earlier fears is somewhat different.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to be at peace with the idea that my consciousness will be extinguished forever at death.  You can see Woody Allen struggle with this precise fear in several of his movies.  But if that's what the nature of things really is (and I can't say for sure one way or the other), then I should be able to go along with it.

ax345: To tell the truth there is a lot f my consciousness I wouldn't mine losing. That's assuming memory is  a part of my consciousness. There are a of of memories I would love to have eradicated. bill