Goodbye Jesus

Secular Census - Counting Nonbelievers

FreeThinkerNZ

Please complete this census, it only takes a couple of minutes.  The more of us are counted, the more people will have to take notice of us.

It's called the Atheist Census but please note it asks what label you prefer and there are a range of options including agnostic, secular etc.

http://www.atheistcensus.com/

• Like 2

Not sure I can, unless "pagan" is one of the options.  But I agree it's worth making your atheist voices heard above the evangelical hubbub.

• Super Moderator

Done.  Thanks so much for providing the link, FTNZ!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the "preferred label" goes, "other" is an option.

Definitely filled it in. I'm not pagan, but the fact that pagans get so little representation disturbs me. At least in military terms in the U.S., Wicca now has representation, as I believe Asatru does as well.

Filled it out! Thanks for the link.

I filled it out, too.

Their pie graphs show a preponderance of younger people. I wonder whether that's because more younger people are atheists/etc., whether more younger people are reached by this online census, or both.

I also note almost three quarters of the responders are male. I get the vague impression that more males generally identify as atheist than females, but I don't know statistics to back that up. I think there was a thread on that topic a while back.

Done!

• Super Moderator

I put myself down as a secularist, mainly because religion by itself bothers me, but not nearly as much as religion mixed with politics.  I guess, in the end, atheism is only a part of my overall world view.  Thanks for the link.

Someone point out the main differences for me, please? Many seem to be the to me, except for few lol

done......happy to see this is a world census.

I filled it out, too.

Their pie graphs show a preponderance of younger people. I wonder whether that's because more younger people are atheists/etc., whether more younger people are reached by this online census, or both.

I also note almost three quarters of the responders are male. I get the vague impression that more males generally identify as atheist than females, but I don't know statistics to back that up. I think there was a thread on that topic a while back.

I agree with your point about younger people... I think its both, perhaps with more of the effect coming from more younger people being unbelievers.

Pew Research backs up the finding that more males identify as unbelievers.  Approximately 70% of US men state a religious affiliation and approx 80% of US women do.  This is likely to be multifactorial but my hunch is that more women are drawn to religion due to their relatively disadvantaged status in US society.  This would be similar to the dynamic that sees more poor people and racial minorities identifying as religious.