Goodbye Jesus

Confession: Going To Church This Xmas

Deidre

This will be my first christmas living alone as ex christian. Anyone else in same boat? What you doing on christmas? 100% of my family will be in my parents church. My gf is also ex christian. She went home to her family 3 hours away and will be going to church. So im gonna be all alone on christmas if i dont go to church. But I dont want to!

This will be my first christmas living alone as ex christian. Anyone else in same boat? What you doing on christmas? 100% of my family will be in my parents church. My gf is also ex christian. She went home to her family 3 hours away and will be going to church. So im gonna be all alone on christmas if i dont go to church. But I dont want to!

Hello smile.png

Will you at least get to see your family on Xmas?

The head of the Board of the school where I used to work told me, "I don't believe in God, but I believe in ritual." She still values the rituals of the Russian Orthodox church in which her father's family was raised.

Sounds like a rather enlightened position (I don't know whether or not "enlightenment" characterizes the rest of this person's life, as I know nothing about her besides what you've just told me, but still...).  This explanation is also the simple version of why I returned to Hinduism after leaving Jesus.  I feel that a truly anti-religion position is unnecessary given the potent influence that religions have had on human civilizations for much of our existence.  And I know that the ritual can have significance regardless of whether they are based in fact.

Given that, I see no reason why Deirdre should face the reprisal of her fellow ex-Christians for going to a Christmas service despite lack of belief in Jesus.  Jesus may be a villainous character, but the rituals that grew up around him can certainly be valuable to those who grew up in this tradition.

There's something that has been unsettling for me, lately. Not sure what it is, or where it's coming from, exactly. Perhaps, we are always on this journey, seeking truth, whatever that may be. We think we have finally found truth, but then the path keeps leading us elsewhere...Idk.

I consider myself an atheist, but not sure why I feel this void inside of me tugging away at my heart. sad.png I've decided to go to church for Xmas Eve service this year, with my dad. He asked me, as he has done these past couple of years since my deconversion, and I've always declined. But, this time, I said yes...and I'm actually looking forward to it. Is it possible that it's merely due to the effects of the season all around me? I didn't feel this way the past couple of years, but for some reason, I do this year. Hoping you don't consider me a weakling, but...there it is. I wanted to be honest with you, my e-family of sorts...who know what it's like to let go of Christianity, and perhaps too, have a void you have never quite filled. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Enjoy spending time with your Dad. Put less than $5 in the collection plate. :-)

• Like 1

haha ^^ collection plate biggrin.png

Well, update...I went to midnight mass with my father...and it went very well. It was odd being there after all this time, and I sort of faded in and out of the priest's sermon. You know, so much of religion can be seen just in living life, and through mankind. What I mean by that is...you don't need to worship a deity in order to love your fellow man. There is this notion that without Christianity, without Jesus...we will fall apart as moral, loving human beings. I sat there listening and thought...all of this isn't necessary to believe in, but it's ok if one does. Just saying, what I realized is...love exists in each of us, and it isn't necessary to follow and particular religion to find it any be comforted by it. I like that revelation. smile.png

Second...before mass, my dad leaned over to me and whispered that he just finished reading The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins. tongue.png I was floored...in a good way. I'm not a fan of Dawkins, but impressed that my dad is interested in learning about the atheism movement. He said he will continue to read more, as to better educate himself, for his notions of atheism are not based on reality, but rather negative hearsay and opinion.

I hope everyone here had a lovely holiday! Looking forward to 2015.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you had a nice visit with your dad!  :)