Goodbye Jesus

The World I Know

megasamurai

I feel so angry and disillusioned at the world. The vast majority of Americans believe in a magical being who allegedly killed millions of people, including thousands of children. They believe this magical being did horrific things yet did it all in the name of the greater good. They believe that this magical being had a son who healed many people and taught them how to love. He was so nice, yet people don't love him back. Those bastards will burn in hell forever. These beliefs have horrified the fuck out of me.

I just ponder how people can have their compassion sucked out of them so easily. I live in a world where my family paradoxically loves me yet is okay with me being in agony for eternity if I don't belief. The world thinks of me as an immoral thug, and I have to pretend to my world that I am a Christian lest I suffer the consequences of social ostracization. I wish I could get the world to see what's wrong with the horrifying religion of Christianity, but I know that nothing will convince a Christian that hell is a bad thing. I know that telling people about my beliefs can only cause more harm. None of them would care about how my falling in love with a "filthy heaven" showed me the horrors of Christianity.

I just wonder, how do I cope in this world I live in? How do I cope with the fact that the vast majority of people in my state believe something horrifying and believe I'm scum? How do I live with the fact that I have to fake condoning the glorification of a child killer to gain social acceptance?  

• Like 2

Most Christians don't really believe in hell -- at least not believe in any important sense, as it would be if it actually touched their behavior and emotions.  They believe in hell like they believe in the rings of Saturn -- it is just a mostly irrelevant cognitive blip in their minds.  A word with a definition, no more.  Don't worry about it.  Look at what people actually do, and not what you imagine about what they believe.  Your parents love and care for you, which proves that their minds are full of affection for you.  Don't try to root around in their minds to find out what they are "really" thinking.  The proof of their beliefs -- their true beliefs, not their claimed beliefs -- is in their actions.  The same goes for the "vast majority of Americans" who are, on the whole fundamentally decent and empathetic people.  And by the way, hell is not a bad thing -- if you end up there you will survive and adapt, making it your home and mine.  Have courage.

• Like 2

You don't know my family. I live in a hardcore fundamentalist family. I have a family that gave me a "you sick bastard" speech after telling them my feelings about an eternal fire and how it horrified me to think of someone special to me going there. My mom quoted Strobel to prove that child killing was a wonderful thing. She had such passion in her voice. She said that killing all those children in the Great Flood was "a beautiful act of love to ensure the birth of Jesus." I got such a brutal verbal asskicking that I was reduced to a puddle of goo. I think she does believe it fervently. I had to make a fake recantation to stop her from yelling. The passion in which she defended hell proves that she does believe it.

• Like 1

In that case, your family are shits and toxic to be around. If you can get out, stay out. Nobody needs that kind of sliming.

I think they are just afraid of bad things happening to me. Their beatdown was a way of showing concern and love. It horrifies me that my mom glorifies hell, but I know it's because she's afraid of going there and wants the Bible to be true. She wants to see dead loved ones. I know the why, and can sympathize to a degree, but I'm still horrified that she so passionately supports hell.

• Like 2

Guest Furball

She had such passion in her voice. She said that killing all those children in the Great Flood was "a beautiful act of love to ensure the birth of Jesus." I got such a brutal verbal asskicking that I was reduced to a puddle of goo. I think she does believe it fervently. I had to make a fake recantation to stop her from yelling. The passion in which she defended hell proves that she does believe it.

What do you expect, they believe in an imaginary deity who tells them to believe in and do horrible things for "their" version of god. Anytime people's beliefs are challenged they are going to try and put up a passionate fight, be it the bible or someones favorite comic book. The quote above just goes to show you how evil christianity is, and what it does to people. Even a child knows that hurting or killing anything is not a beautiful act of love. That quote above disgusts me, this religion was born in an asylum and the people that follow it are truly insane. I can't say what i really want to say about the above quote without offending you mega, so i am going to keep my mouth shut. I think the healthiest thing for you to do is get away from these people. It's not healthy in the short OR long run. Good luck to you mega. -peace

• Super Moderator
How do I live with the fact that I have to fake condoning the glorification of a child killer to gain social acceptance?  

If "social acceptance" by brainwashed idiots is so important, then just suck it up and do it. Or perhaps reevaluate your priorities. Personally I'd rather be the guy pointing out that the emperor is in fact naked than the adoring idiot parroting compliments on his lovely, imaginary wardrobe. But maybe that's just me; I starting to think maybe it really IS just me...

Even a child knows that hurting or killing anything is not a beautiful act of love.

Unless that is to save your soul before you commit sins that will doom you into eternal suffering. If, in your mind, those children are even now rejoicing in eternal happiness, how do their earthly deaths matter?

Uh, what, you lost me, are you railing on me for my post??

I suppose I deserve that suspicion smile.png

I just tried to fit it into the religious point of view. You know, the one with the assumption that god is good. Then, you have to go through some gymnastics to make the end result look good.

Guest Furball

Uh, what, you lost me, are you railing on me for my post??

I suppose I deserve that suspicion smile.png

I just tried to fit it into the religious point of view. You know, the one with the assumption that god is good. Then, you have to go through some gymnastics to make the end result look good.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Theological and apologetic gymnastics in my opinion still have never answered the ultimate questions about christianity. -peace

The original poster, if under age, will have to play it safe I'm afraid. So many stories abound where young people are in this situation and yet they rely on fundamentalist parents for support, financially, if not room and board. I'm not prepared to make the same kinds of statements some on here are about "just get out," as that's easier said than done especially for the very young, or for people caught in close communities. Consider how hard it's been for women trying to leave polygamist Mormon compounds, leaving the fundamentalist communities can be at least as difficult for many young people.

To the OP, we're here for you. If you can do so, see if there is a Recovering From Religion group in your area - RecoveringFromReligion.org. Or see if there are any secular meetups in your area. I know this can be difficult if you still live under that roof. Depending on your ability to come and go, you might check this out. There's a lot we can learn from how gays and Lesbians have navigated this situation of coming out yet staying safe about it.

You have my sincerest sympathies, as shallow as that probably sounds in your current situation.

megasamurai: I agree with Llewellyn. I really don't think most Xtians are as bad as what they purport to believe. They don't believe in hell; they believe only in those portions of the bible they believe is good, like forgiveness, love, etc. And they are basically good people. Misguided? Of course. But aren't we all misguided in some areas? It is the "true believers" that are dangerous. Most people don't even know what the bible says and if they knew would be horrified. At least, this is what I like to believe.  Rip

The short answer to "how" seems to me to be "move as soon as you can" - that family circle sounds like it would endanger the sanity of the most stable of people.

Guest Furball

The short answer to "how" seems to me to be "move as soon as you can" - that family circle sounds like it would endanger the sanity of the most stable of people.

There is no way i could live in that situation. I would lose my sanity with people who think god killing people is a "beautiful act of love." I truly feel sorry for you mega. We are all here to support you. Once again christianity proves that it drives people insane. -yuck

I remember when I was a Christian, and a pretty borderline fundamentalist one, only last year. I would always wonder why atheists always felt the need to voice their lack of belief and why they always saw Christianity as this illogical belief system with a tyrannical god.

Oh how time changes you. Now as an agnostic atheist, I find myself being that nonbeliever I once despised.

The biggest problem I had even when I was Christian was the problem of hell. This loving God gives you a choice to believe in Him, and if you don't want to for whatever reason, He still loves you but He's going to toss you into eternal agony and suffering. That is unjust and morally disgusting. I can't believe most Christians actually have the nerve to believe that they're the lucky ones who are going to be spared by their tyrant creator, even if He does exist. It's a rather selfish belief as well.

I can relate to you so much......I always feel compelled to leave off the atheist in agnostic atheist because of what my Christian family, who still makes me pray with them, will think or what some of my acquaintances will now assume about me. You have to stand your ground and be confident in who you are. Hey, you're already more rational and moral than those around you.

I guess I just have to accept that some people believe horrific things. You all are probably right in that most people probably don't know about the horrific parts of the Bible. I know pretty soon I'll get my MA degree and hopefully a job and real house. I'll be free.

You don't know my family. I live in a hardcore fundamentalist family. I have a family that gave me a "you sick bastard" speech after telling them my feelings about an eternal fire and how it horrified me to think of someone special to me going there. My mom quoted Strobel to prove that child killing was a wonderful thing. She had such passion in her voice. She said that killing all those children in the Great Flood was "a beautiful act of love to ensure the birth of Jesus." I got such a brutal verbal asskicking that I was reduced to a puddle of goo. I think she does believe it fervently. I had to make a fake recantation to stop her from yelling. The passion in which she defended hell proves that she does believe it.

If my mother treated me this way, blood or not I would tell her to fuck herself to her face and not talk to her again.

If you are not a child living at home and you live at home, leave.

if you are a child and have no choice in your location currently I feel for you and just do the best you can at staying out of the way of your primitive relatives until you can get out.

They maybe be your blood but that does not make them family. My religious family who no matter what I say will believe in that stuff never felt the need to do what you are saying and still seem to be what they would consider "good" christians. Love is more important to them, and not jesus love but the love I have for them and they for me as it is right here right now not in the sky for some future yet to come.

I would ask your mother if she has ever thought about you and your success with that same passion? No mother should ever berate her child into "goo" that is not right at any level.

My family is the same as yours.  I don't know how to live with it.  My a-mum thinks god the father sending his son Jesus to earth for the express purpose of being brutally slaughtered is the good and perfect gift.  There is nothing I can do, nothing I can say, that could ever even make her question the fact that her moral belief system, no her entire life, is built upon blood sacrifice.  The Aztecs did the same thing and she thinks they were evil monsters.  She also thinks Abraham binding Isaac to the altar is a beautiful story.  I have no where to go, I have to live with these blood-cult worshipping people because I can't afford anything else.  No arguments against the bible or god's perfection are tolerated here.  I know that my a-mum would sacrifice my wellbeing or my life for god, and I know that she has prayed to "give me to god" like as a slave to him for whatever he wants.  The thing is, if it were possible for god to put on a man-suit and be Jesus and show up at my door, my a-mum would throw me to him.  She would just say "take her body, she's all yours".  Also she has an infatuation with Jesus.  I have always had to accept that my family will be forever running after Christ and leaving me to fend for myself. 

• Like 1