Goodbye Jesus

Excuses Christians Use To Explain Former Believers

Brother Jeff

None of my christian friends have actually really said anything despite the fact most of them know. When I told my mom that I didn't really believe anymore, she told me that since I had already accepted jesus into my heart previously that I'm still saved haha

• Like 1

When talking with a church member about why I left (after finding out all the contradictions in the Bible) she told me that I have an inquiring mind and then later in the conversation, she said that Satan is alive and well on planet earth.....duh?

I often heard, "It's ok to question things, everybody has questions," but then nobody ever answered the questions with a logical, sensible answer!

And apparently you were only supposed to ask the questions to the pastor, who could give you the long-winded apologetics til you were worn down.  I don't think you were supposed to get answers by reading and researching on your own, outside of church-approved sources and books! 

From my experience, when Christians say that they've questioned things in the past, they're usually referring to experiential questioning, like wondering why God would allow something specific to happen to them or a loved one. Not to downplay that sort of questioning, which has its place, but I've never personally known a Christian who indicated having questioned on an intellectual level and still remained a believer, as in questioning through in-depth Biblical, historical, scientific, and/or archaeological studies. They usually don't critically examine their faith on those levels.

When talking with a church member about why I left (after finding out all the contradictions in the Bible) she told me that I have an inquiring mind and then later in the conversation, she said that Satan is alive and well on planet earth.....duh?

Now there's a true "once saved always saved" believer. Never mind what the Bible actually says. wink.png

I read some old threads here yesterday and came across these: (I'll paraphrase)

"if you had REALLY KNOWN god and had a true relationship with him, you'd have been so in love you could never have left"

"you just didn't grasp it" (to a person who had read the entire bible several times)

Regarding post-deconversion peace: "satan can give you a false peace"

"satan disguises himself as angels of light"

To anyone who might say I never believed, I would tell them that they don't believe either. They claim they do, but deep down, if they're really honest with themselves, they know it's just wishful thinking.

To anyone who might say I never believed, I would tell them that they don't believe either. They claim they do, but deep down, if they're really honest with themselves, they know it's just wishful thinking.

If you'd said that to me when I was a believer, you would've been 100% wrong. I was completely convinced that Christianity was true. I had zero doubts about it until right at the very end of my time as a Christian. Don't underestimate the power of indoctrination.

• Like 1

Ive been told that its religion is a problem and to join a church that preaches only Jesus tho when the pastor reads a verse a certain way its called doctorine otherwise it would collapse with contradictions.

It pisses me off people saying the use only the bible as thats the root of the whole mess

• Like 1

Woodsy I thought Jesus crushed Satan's head or is she saying that the big J can't even kill Satan because what's the point of the crushing his head symbolism of it actually done nothing

Woodsy I thought Jesus crushed Satan's head or is she saying that the big J can't even kill Satan because what's the point of the crushing his head symbolism of it actually done nothing

You can't make a comic book without a villain.

Guest CutiePie

• You were never a true Christian

You just want to live a worldly life

You're hanging out with the wrong crowd

You're getting influenced by the world and that causes demons to get in 

If you'd said that to me when I was a believer, you would've been 100% wrong. I was completely convinced that Christianity was true. I had zero doubts about it until right at the very end of my time as a Christian. Don't underestimate the power of indoctrination.

Even in my most fervent days as a Christian, such a retort would have struck a nerve in me - although I wouldn't admit it.

No one has actually said this to me, but the "You were never really a true Christian" line would actually apply to me. I always read widely, and questioned my fundamentalist "Church of Christ" doctrines quite often (I thought that science provided a much better answer than Genesis, etc.) , even though I went to church pretty regularly. I just never "bought into the whole thing" like most of the people around me.

Even in my most fervent days as a Christian, such a retort would have struck a nerve in me - although I wouldn't admit it.

Why so? Are you implying that even when you were a Christian you didn't think that any Christian actually fully believed Christianity? I wish I hadn't, because it severely hampered some aspects of my life, but I really did, and I can assure you that there are others who also do. That's just a fact.