Goodbye Jesus

Re-Entering In The Secular World

PlainVince

Last days it hits me how uncomfortable I feel in 'the world'.

When I look at (secular) people I still - though I don't believe anymore myself - feel different, like not knowing how to fit in between all these people and things you can do. I want to 're-enter' the (secular) world, and for sure I am (already) in this world, but this fear grabs me to try out new things and meet new people. What if they're unfriendly, bite me, see how uncomfortable I am and laugh at me for it.

As a xian teen I so much judged, condemned, and put aside secular people and activities. I couldn't believe it could any good. Now I still feel of dealing with this old non-world believing, and frightened attitude

Your first question is to decide what it is you want to try.   If the answer is "anything and everything" - well, good luck with that.  However, there is no pressure on you to dive into what you think of as "secular" just because you are no longer religious.  Better to think about what actually interests you.  As an example, I've never been one for pubs, clubs and socializing - regardless of any religious affiliation.  Just doesn't interest me.  Don't mind going for a meal with the family or having a pint of ale at home, but beyond that, forget it.  This is not an issue of any spiritual prejudice.  I would just rather the comfort of my own family and, generally, surroundings.

Now a night-class for learning a language, or an archaeology society so I can go and dig in a hole on the mountainside - that's more like it!

Once you've decided what your interests are, then it's really a matter of just diving in.  So, someone you meet may not like you.  So what?  Stuff them - you have your own agenda to pursue.  And somewhere among those you meet there are bound to be some with whom you will get on.

• Like 1

I agree.dont try so much to deal with the various feelings of fear and anxiety.do the things you want to do and maybe those feelings will subside and you'll feel a bit more comfortable.

Christianity shields us from the world: I was aware of this as a christian and was glad as I was scared of the world.but it's much better than you perhaps imagine.