Goodbye Jesus

O.b.o.d. Anyone?

Becks

Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. My last spiritual treck a few years back was looking into Druidism. I'm officially a Bard, I love the mythology, language, and focus on nature, seasons etc. But can't get past the God/goddess aspect. I just don't believe I'm talking to anyone but myself when reciting the "prayers". The idea of a peaceful existence and being a conduit of peace reminds me a little of Christianity but the Order itself was created in the 1950,s I think and they may have borrowed a lot of concepts from other religions. If you've read any of my posts you know I have a propensity for spiritual activity, but I've shut it down to give my rational mind a chance to sort through my deconversion. To dear Ellinas' question, what do I think is missing, perhaps I would feel happy if I could create my own religion. There are the gods/ goddesses that I woukd just give a wink at the Nordic and Celtic mythology. I have fun celebrating the changing seasons and actually feel more in tune with the old pagan calendar then ours(e.g. First day of Summer is Beltane, May 1st and summer solstice -June 21st is mid summer not first day of summer as its celebrated now) I really don't know how to settle all this within since I identify as an atheist and the Druids believe in a lot of what i call supernatural or super Nature beings, then there is the Summerland which sounds so lovely, but I'm thinking we just probably blank out at death instead. I'm a romantic at heart and work hard to be a realist mentally:) btw- Obod is very open about people interpreting the God/goddess in a personal way, such as spirit, force, power, etcetera. I respect their organization and wouldn't say anything disparaging about them. So...any thought on this?

From my limited understanding, OBOD would be easier to be non-theistic than with ADF (I have some friends in ADF but none in OBOD). But even ADF says that though they approach their practices as hard polytheists, they all about the orthopraxis (what you do) and not the orthodoxy (what you believe). I guess it would depend on your local group, whether you feel like they're too theistic for you or not.

I've been trying to find an ADF event that my friends are participating in or running that fits into my schedule so I can attend, and I consider myself an atheist (but also something of a Jungian polytheist; the gods are useful concepts for me for hitting altered states of consciousness and/or having a chat with my subconscious, and I do have a few favorites). I am quite curious to see how I'll react.

I enjoy the imagry of pagan religions, but I can't participate in worship or prayer (usually). I connect with nature, but I see myself as part of it and respect the cycles of life, but I don't worship it, and it doesn't seek worship. Nature can be completely indifferent and cold, and sometimes it can pop up with compassion between creatures of different species. I haven't had any encounters with "beings" of a kind that would lead me towards any religion (other than a vision of Sekhmet once, or maybe Bast, which was a very unusual thing). My psychic friends say that Cernunnos (the male god figure of Celtic pagans, strong male sexual energy) hangs around me. I like that idea, but haven't yet encountered him. I've only once been in a open witch circle for a mostly non-religious spring meeting. But I don't find personal connection with spell work, though energy work does seem somewhat real.

I refuse to join any "spiritual" organization.  Christianity was quite enough, and I'm not going to mess up my life with any other orthodoxy (which is ultimately into what every organization seems to degenerate - and I especially distrust any that claim to be more interested in "orthopraxy"; what on earth is practice of not a reflection of belief?).

I know someone involved in OBOD amongst other groups, but have never really discussed it with her.

Becks, you can be whatever you want to be, mixing and matching ideas and practices as you see fit.  Whether you can do that within any given organization is another matter - and one for you to decide.

You are an atheist?  Fine.  Treat myths as what they are - descriptions of how humans in the past understood this present reality and saw their own relationship with it.  If you want to conduct some sort of ritual in honour of the seasons, there is no need to invoke specific deities.  If you wish to make some use of the imagery of deist myth, think of the gods as being aspects of your own psyche rather than independent beings; what aspects depends on your understanding of their mythical attributes.

You don't need to believe in a spiritual reality to undertake rituals and meditation exercises.  Merely redefine what you are aiming at to include nature and the workings of your own mind instead of more metaphysical ideas.

I hope that makes sense...

Ellinas, you always make sense to me! Some things make me happy like always knowing what phase of the moon we are in. Btw full moon coming up!

I get such delight interacting with nature. I love thunderstorms. I'm the dumb person who wants to run out in them. You can feel the energy all around. I love watching the waves hit a beach. It's mezmerizing just like watch a campfire. I think early humans were superstitious and uninformed and made up the gods. I wish they were real. I love a good story and can get lost in myths and mythologies. I'm trying hard right now to just deal with reality. I may never fully become the rational logical being I want to be. Like Spock, half human half Vulcan. He chose Vulcan but his human side was there and that's why we loved him. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm saying thank you. I can't continue with OBOD but I did learn some interesting things from them. I can use the imagery and archetypes when I'm strong enough to let imagination and delight back into my life. Getting through this cycle of depression is , well, annoying.

• Like 1

I'm generally more interested in the time around the new moon than the full moon...

Anyhow, have you tried just standing quietly in the open, relaxing, emptying the mind and observing?  I find I can quite quickly reach a point where I seem to become almost over-aware; the patterns of the wind in the grass or the trees, whilst having the sense of being able to see every blade or leaf individually; the movement of the clouds and the shadows they cast; changes in air currents; birdsong that would normally be missed in the background.  It's a good way of reaching an almost meditative state.

I don't see any of this as being illogical.  If your personal make-up includes that which answers to nature, to myths and to the imagination generally, it is quite possible and permissible to express that side of yourself whilst keeping a pretty firm grasp on everyday reality and thinking logically.  Indeed, you will only become frustrated if you deny that side of yourself, I suspect.

I'm generally more interested in the time around the new moon than the full moon...

Anyhow, have you tried just standing quietly in the open, relaxing, emptying the mind and observing? I find I can quite quickly reach a point where I seem to become almost over-aware; the patterns of the wind in the grass or the trees, whilst having the sense of being able to see every blade or leaf individually; the movement of the clouds and the shadows they cast; changes in air currents; birdsong that would normally be missed in the background. It's a good way of reaching an almost meditative state.

I don't see any of this as being illogical. If your personal make-up includes that which answers to nature, to myths and to the imagination generally, it is quite possible and permissible to express that side of yourself whilst keeping a pretty firm grasp on everyday reality and thinking logically. Indeed, you will only become frustrated if you deny that side of yourself, I suspect.

Thank you, again, Ellinas. Your thoughtful responses are helping to set me free.

You're welcome - but, in reality, it is your own quest for freedom that is moving you on your way.  You deserve the credit for your own development.