Goodbye Jesus

So...about The Dragons

LadyNightingale

If you couldn't tell by my screen name I love this game franchise called Dragon Age. One of the writers who was working on the title for ten years wrote some books based on it. Naturally, I reserved one of them. Then when I get it my mom yells at me I've cursed us both by bringing dragons into the home. ...Where the fuck did this come from?

post-22345-0-62794900-1440589538_thumb.jpg

Some Christians can't tell the difference between fiction and reality.

• Like 1

This particular one comes from The Revelation, last book of the Bible, where the devil is described as a dragon sweeping a third of the stars out of the sky with his tail (an image of Lucifer wooing 1/3 of the angels of Heaven to follow him). Part of this is to turn the old fable of the talking snake into the devil (a very minor character in Judaism) instead of what Genesis said was simply a clever animal. After all, the devil wasn't cursed to crawl on his belly and "eat dust", which is their explanation for snakes flitting tongues.

Many believers are extremely superstitious and see everything as "OF THE DEVIL" if it isn't leading you towards Jesus. You can google "of the devil" to see tons of things that believers rant on about. During my faith, I got rid of a variety of items that I thought demons could use to get me. Videos, gifts from girls, photographs, a little troll doll, music, etc. This is also why Dungeons and Dragons was vilified when I was a teen. De debil will git ya! Ooga Booga! Utter foolishness.

Awww, Fuego, you threw out a troll doll? They're so cute!

Yeah, Lady, it's weird. I was the kid who couldn't watch Pokémon, read Harry Potter, or any fantasy sort of thing (except princess stuff, which my mom said at one point she regretted because there are witches in Disney). It's pretty sad that some parents do that. Do they want their kids to be picked on for coming off as little self-righteous Jesus warriors who shun fun Evil things?

Well, you're entitled to have your dragons. You're a grown-up.

I've heard people say that the East needs a lot of missionaries, because the prevalence of Chinese dragons as symbols of good mean that they've all been mislead into worshiping demons.

This particular one comes from The Revelation, last book of the Bible, where the devil is described as a dragon sweeping a third of the stars out of the sky with his tail (an image of Lucifer wooing 1/3 of the angels of Heaven to follow him). Part of this is to turn the old fable of the talking snake into the devil (a very minor character in Judaism) instead of what Genesis said was simply a clever animal. After all, the devil wasn't cursed to crawl on his belly and "eat dust", which is their explanation for snakes flitting tongues.

Many believers are extremely superstitious and see everything as "OF THE DEVIL" if it isn't leading you towards Jesus. You can google "of the devil" to see tons of things that believers rant on about. During my faith, I got rid of a variety of items that I thought demons could use to get me. Videos, gifts from girls, photographs, a little troll doll, music, etc. This is also why Dungeons and Dragons was vilified when I was a teen. De debil will git ya! Ooga Booga! Utter foolishness.

Yes, I remember something about the troll being evil. Like there is some employee on the assembly line putting an evil curse on each troll doll before it gets packaged. :)

If you couldn't tell by my screen name I love this game franchise called Dragon Age. One of the writers who was working on the title for ten years wrote some books based on it. Naturally, I reserved one of them. Then when I get it my mom yells at me I've cursed us both by bringing dragons into the home. ...Where the fuck did this come from?

Arrange some little rocks out in the driveway in the shape of a pentagram just for the fun of it and then say , "Mom! OMG, look!"

Kind of off-topic but fun...

...ever since I started to work right in the city of Wolfsburg (Germany) I've wondered what morontheists will think(1) whenever they see a bus of the local public transport corporation... look at the emblem on their homepage, any bets? :fdevil:

(1) trick question - they don't think

• Like 1

Guest sylensikeelyoo

BWAAAAHAHAHA! better not read the books I don't like, those motherfucking dragons and shit will eat your fucking face!!! That's awesome, Lady. Sorry tho. Your mom is trippin.

Some Christians can't tell the difference between fiction and reality.

That would be ALL Christians. They think that the Bible is nonfiction. ;)

I thought these Jesusy people were protected by the almighty. Seems like their god is a big wuss 

• Like 2

I thought these Jesusy people were protected by the almighty. Seems like their god is a big wuss 

Never forget... according to da wholly babble gawd loses to iron chariots. I don't know about you but I'd say we've kind of improved on those today... :fdevil:

LEOPARD-2-A7.jpg

• Like 2

58.gif   Epic iron chariots are epic!   cool.png

Admittedly, I avoided revelations like the plague but obviously, I missed some of the most insane shit. It's hilarious how D&D is so vilified when it's basically homework: the game.

Awww, Fuego, you threw out a troll doll? They're so cute!

Yeah, Lady, it's weird. I was the kid who couldn't watch Pokémon, read Harry Potter, or any fantasy sort of thing (except princess stuff, which my mom said at one point she regretted because there are witches in Disney). It's pretty sad that some parents do that. Do they want their kids to be picked on for coming off as little self-righteous Jesus warriors who shun fun Evil things?

Well, you're entitled to have your dragons. You're a grown-up.

Weirdly, I wasn't allowed to get into Harry Potter yet I was allowed to watch an incredible amount of dateline. -_(e.e)_-

BWAAAAHAHAHA! better not read the books I don't like, those motherfucking dragons and shit will eat your fucking face!!! That's awesome, Lady. Sorry tho. Your mom is trippin.

She is. Oddly enough I can't get her to see the slaying and revering dragons aren't the same thing. Dragon fights are fucking-A but it isn't like all of the sudden you're asked to build a goddamn shrine!

Back when I was a christian, I actually read a christian teen book series about these kids who were half-dragons. Looking back, it was pretty fucked up, but I think it had something to do with dragons basically being angels/demons and satan (a dragon not a snake in Genesis) stole a whole bunch of them and made them evil demon dragons while some good dragons still remained in hiding, or some shit like that. 

I remember them being kind of interesting, but SUPER trippy. Obviously I didn't have the same dragon stigma growing up. 

P.S. Dragon Age is the SHIT! Can't get enough of that franchise. To be fair though, many of the dragons in it ARE in fact demons. =P

I had a pastor one time comment on a stuffed animal of one of the Wild Things, from the classic book Where the Wild Things Are. I got it for my son when he was little. It was the one with the yellow and red/pink stripes, the scaly legs, shaggy black hair and horns. We were there for prayer or some such and when he saw that, he said something like "That's pretty demonic, isn't it?" Mind you, this was an Episcopal priest, charismatic theology but still a practicing parish priest in one of the more rational denoms out there. I just rolled my eyes.

Or the gal who had a street ministry.  I brought her in for a meal and we were looking at some things I had, including a post card from an Egyptian exhibit I'd gone to when it came to a local museum. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THESE IDOLS IN YOUR HOUSE! ... from pictures OF ancient statues? Really? and WHAT ARE YOU, A STRANGER, DOING COMMENTING MY, YOUR HOSTESS'S, STUFF!

Or the homeschool mom who thought NOT educating our children about the Greek and Roman culture because they were pagan? Honestly. No wonder I got sick of church long before I found out about the Bible.

How to answer it? there probably is no answer. Even when I was deep in it, right wing, believing everything in the Bible was true, I didn't ever go for this kind of BS, and so I just kept my mouth shut and did as I always did: broad reading and video for all my kids, good music of every genre, plenty of outdoor time for them, plenty of alone time for them to think and ponder and do their thing.

Ask her if god is bigger than dragons? I dunno. Wish I could be more help.

I've been a huge fan of fantasy literature for as long as I can remember.

When I was a kid, my parents literally burned their copies of the Lord of the Rings because, you know, occult and stuff.

Later, when I made a point of reading the books regardless (I worked at a library at the time), they realized that they had been mistaken. (Oddly enough, Lewis was never subject to this book burning fiasco, despite the fact that Lewis was literally converted by Tolkien).

I love fantasy. I'm now moving towards regarding Christianity as a type of fantasy. If considered this way, Christianity becomes a wonderful story, rather than an horrific truth. It makes it much more fun.

Burned their copies of LOTR! glare.gif

I can't breathe. My heart!

What on EARTH would...seriously, how can anyone think that the Bible demands such a thing? Even the book burning in the book of Acts was books of magic spells worth zillions of dollars, not a great work of imagination with several different languages and cultures, depth, color, majesty, wars, wicked creepy cool bad guys, amazing wonderful good guys. Honestly. I learned more about loyalty, trust, friendship, pushing through hardship, community, grace, the victory of light over darkness, in Tolkien than I ever picked up from the bible.

of course, there is a frenzy about imagination, too. There are people to this day, in the right wing homeschool world...at any rate, there WERE people in the 90's when I was homeschooling...who would not allow their children anything but the bible and biographies. Anything else was lies because fiction=not the truth=a lie. SMH.

Anyone remember Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti. about the demonic world hidden behind everything in the physical world? The demons stirring up the brains of kids playing video games in an arcade? The spirit of rebellion inherent in My Little Pony? and prayer strengthened the good angels so they could battle the demons better! hahahaha....OMG! I loved that book...and it is SO BAD. And people took it as scripture truth. I remember in a BS (Bible Study) a mom fretting over her daughter having an imaginary friend. Because there are demons everywhere, and we are to be concerned.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. that does seem to be the message, doesn't it.

Seems to me I read something once...perfect love (God's love?) casts away all fear? There is no fear in love? something like that. Nah, that couldn't be anywhere in the bible.

Anyone remember Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti. about the demonic world hidden behind everything in the physical world? The demons stirring up the brains of kids playing video games in an arcade? The spirit of rebellion inherent in My Little Pony? and prayer strengthened the good angels so they could battle the demons better! hahahaha....OMG! I loved that book...and it is SO BAD. And people took it as scripture truth. I remember in a BS (Bible Study) a mom fretting over her daughter having an imaginary friend. Because there are demons everywhere, and we are to be concerned.

I read one of his books. I can't remember for sure which one, but it was either Piercing the Darkness or This Present Darkness. Even as a Christian, I thought it was a bit over the top and silly.

I read one of his books. I can't remember for sure which one, but it was either Piercing the Darkness or This Present Darkness. Even as a Christian, I thought it was a bit over the top and silly.

As did I. Horrible books.

You know, this is actually rather funny.

Why?

I was born, bred, raised and now live in Wales.  Yep - that's it.  The country that has as it's flag... the Red Dragon.

Does your mother think Wales is cursed?  Funny.  Most Welsh people I know (and a good many of them are Christians of some nonconformist denomination or other) seem to think it's "God's Own Country"!

• Like 1