Goodbye Jesus

The Wrath Of God

SkepticalDaniel

Christians really love this topic. "God must punish sinners and pour out his wrath on them" they say! Yeah, "he must," that's the thing an abusive partner says.

• Like 2

Christians really love this topic. "God must punish sinners and pour out his wrath on them" they say! Yeah, "he must," that's the thing an abusive partner says.

The God of the OT quite often gives me that impression. It's exactly what you'd expect of a warlike and intolerant tribal God, which is what the OT describes. In fact, the OT God seems a lot more vengeful and angry than many "false" pagan Gods described during the same era.

• Like 2

The God of the OT quite often gives me that impression. It's exactly what you'd expect of a warlike and intolerant tribal God, which is what the OT describes. In fact, the OT God seems a lot more vengeful and angry than many "false" pagan Gods described during the same era.

The OT God is human.

The OT God is human.

Yes, a reflection of the human culture that spawned him.

The OT God is human.

Yes, a reflection of the human culture that spawned him.

The Judeo-Christian God is a reflection of all of the negative traits that humans poses, the biggest two being jealousy and anger (anger for rather trivial things, I might add.).

Actually it's the NT god who should scare us more, I believe. Whatever else Yahweh is guilty of, he has sent not one soul to eternal conscious torment in hell.

• Like 1

Actually it's the NT god who should scare us more, I believe. Whatever else Yahweh is guilty of, he has sent not one soul to eternal conscious torment in hell.

I agree.

They merely repeat the myths.

Yes, the immorality of the Abrahamic sky fairies is quite evident, as it is for the Greek sky fairies, and the Roman sky fairies, and the Aztec sky fairies, etc.

Still, many of the myths have worthy allegorical and sometimes feigned history content.

One of the most profound statements I have ever read is from JRR Tolkien:

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”

JRR Tolkien, Preface to Fellowship of the Ring

I bet those people love Elvis "You have to be cruel to be kind" Hang on, but Christians are still sinners. Does the fire fall on them too?

I bet those people love Elvis "You have to be cruel to be kind" Hang on, but Christians are still sinners. Does the fire fall on them too?

I can never tell!