Goodbye Jesus

Kundalini

Lyra

Hi y'all,

I saw Kundalini briefly mentioned in passing on another thread. I looked it up and it interested me, so I wanted to make a specific thread for it.

From what I understand, Kundalini is a type of yoga-related practice that involves waking up the energy that is supposedly at the base of your spine, where a lot of unused energy is stored. Sort of like tapping into your deepest capabilities, for both better and worse.

As a creative type who often has difficulties finishing projects and/or pushing myself to the depth of my limits, I would love to get into such a state, if there's a legit way to get into an actual Kundalini-induced mode.

The thing is, I've never gotten anything spiritual out of yoga. I've done it at my gym a lot of times, and I find it to be a great physical exercise in terms of stretching out muscle tension and practicing flexibility. But I've never found yoga to be a consciousness-inducing exercise or a way of reaching a higher plane, the way many others have experienced. (The closest I've come to this is with swimming, because if you ignore the water it's like you're levitating or flying) For me, yoga is just another beneficial yet ordinary exercise, like burning calories on the treadmill or lifting weights.

So has anyone reached a kundalini state, and if so, how did you tap into it?

Also, I hear that it's "dangerous," which I personally think sounds like bull, but if you do believe that, then what does the danger come from?

In my own experience and opinion, the only reason why tapping into a higher-level reflective state (without dangerous drugs) would be "dangerous" is if it releases suppressed ideas and truths from your mind that you're uncomfortable with. But ultimately, the truth sets you free.

Kundalini is a concept of the Hindu faith, and yoga that is done as a spiritual practice is supposed to eventually lead a person towards releasing the kundalini "prana" (the female part of the god energy) upward through the spine through the top of the head where it becomes connected again with Shiva. When this happens, the results in the human can be very very emotional, uncontrollable weeping or laughter, a mental and physical "high" that can take hours or days to come down from, and a very changed mindset about the world and self. This is why they say it is dangerous, because you can be unable to care for yourself during the experience. Some report very unusual things like animals coming to them and dancing with them. Whether that is a vision or real, they were unable to say, but it seemed physical. One lady related to me that she had to be walked back home because she was a blubbering mess for a couple of days after she experienced the kundalini release after a dance session. She was also at an emotional crossroad regarding who she was as a person, the state of her marriage, and wondering what path forward to take. Having others around who understand that you need their kind help and not a hospital is important to allow you to experience it without being committed to a psycho ward or shot up with chemicals.

Sometimes the release comes spontaneously, but is often associated with a desire for change, or a crossroads in life. It also happens to non-Hindus, and is not apparently linked to worship. Yoga is intended to clear blockages to the energy moving from the base of the spine through the "chakras" up through the top of the head. Most workout style yoga just isn't geared towards this end, but emphasizes the physical body and holding poses.

I raised the question of whether or not this may have been part of what I experienced in a church service years ago because it was so powerful and seemed to be power zipping up and down through my body and focused on the base or sacral chakra. It may be related, but didn't bring change that I could discern. At the time, it seemed to confirm the reality of Jesus, something I now know is fake.

I would like to experience it more than once, and hope to take steps in that direction. I'm not yet sure what that will look like. But the crossroads of life or desire for fundamental change seems to be part of it.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, and for elaborating on how yoga can be a spiritual experience. I've never understood how exactly people use yoga to achieve an altered/higher state of consciousness, and I've always wondered but was never able to find an explanation until now.

I suppose I should mention the flip side that I've seen happen a handful of times, particularly to evangelical/pentecostal believers. It isn't kundalini, or even related, but could be seen as having similar effects in some ways.

They feel either a tremendous pressure to be SuperChristian or are medically predisposed, and engage in a marathon prayer session without sleep, and a break happens mentally. Suddenly they are seeing visions, hearing God speak to them personally, being given revelations, feel called to convert all of North Korea, their arguments are illogical and contrary to scripture but they feel they are led by God directly so it doesn't matter, they write long rambling songs that they think are amazing, need no sleep and don't sleep for several days because of the buzz of energy (which they attribute to the Holy Spirit), having victory over sin like never before, on and on and on it goes until *CRASH*! They sleep for long periods of time, maybe days, and all of the visions and such stop cold. They are usually certain they've fallen into sin and are crushed by a sense of failure, certain they've offended Jesus.

They were having what is called a manic episode. I've witnessed it 3 or 4 times and talked with pastors about it happening with others in their congregations (and they weren't sure what to do). Afterward, they rarely go back to the manic state unless they are predisposed to manic-depressive behavior. One of the guys I saw this way was committed to the hospital for a week or so until he came down. Another went from making bold proclamations to disappearing for a week, then was very quiet. Another, my pastor's wife, did some terrible things while manic, and then after getting help went with the pastor on the radio talking about their experiences with Satan and spiritual warfare (which it wasn't, it was a mental break that doctors helped to quell).

That sounds like a clear-cut case of bipolar disorder. Even if they weren't fundies, they'd still be bipolar. It would just manifest in different ways.

I'm no expert in yoga, but my understanding is that, for it to be a spiritually useful practice, there needs to be lengthy effort.  Also, I rather doubt that western "yoga for exercise" has the same "oomph" (so to speak) as the yoga practiced by the ascetics of India.

To my mind, yoga - as with any prolonged or intense physical activity - the imagery and psychological manipulation of chakras and, ultimately, the "energy" of kundalini all come together as a method of manipulating the psyche.  The danger is of losing control emotionally and, in extreme cases, of losing grip on reality.

If you want to go down this road, I would suggest you take your time, view this as being in for a long haul and ensure that you are in a "safe" environment should you need to take time out to recover your capacity to function in this mundane reality.