Goodbye Jesus

Time Might Only Exist In Your Head, Say Physicists

Fweethawt

I've actually argued this point in the past (No pun intended...) . :)

http://www.sciencealert.com/time-might-only-exist-in-your-head-say-physicists?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

Out of all the pressures we face in our everyday lives, there’s no denying that the nature of time has the most profound effect. As our days, weeks, months, and years go by, time moves from past to present to future, and never the other way around.

But according to the physics that govern our Universe, the same things will occur regardless of what direction time is travelling in. And now physicists suggest that gravity isn’t strong enough to force every object in the Universe into a forward-moving direction anyway.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I thought time was in a bottle,......I think I heard someone say that, or maybe sing it. At my age I know time is running out, or maybe it's just the time in my head that's running out....at least I hope that's what it is.

• Super Moderator

It's weird. Though I have no evidence whatsoever I have always felt that everything happens in the same instant. There is no 'time' as we perceive it. Rather than something linear, all events are stacked upon one another at the same point. Yeah, I said it was weird.

Concerning mainstream physics, my own related model pretty much says the same thing: that time exists only in one's head and on watches. Time is a concept of an intelligent being, in this case namely mankind. Man invented clocks to measure the rate of changes in the world.

Dimensions in general, including time, do not accordingly exist. Man organizes our reality into three dimensions: length, width, and height. In analytic geometry these "dimensions" are expressed as X,Y, and Z. To express changes T is added and used as the time dimension. There are other ways in astronomy to express a relative position in space such as radial angle, radial height, and distance, but there are still three characteristics involved.

Time can be defined as relative changes: changes in the relative position of matter to other matter. The rate of these changes can be measured by an instrument which we call a clock.  Elapsed time is an interval of these changes. A point in time is not time at all. Instead it is a relative position and designated point within an interval of elapsed changes.

Once changes have occurred such changes cannot be reversed. Contrary to much science fiction as well as some real science, going backward in time IMO is impossible.

The only experience you can have is right now. Past and future are thoughts in your head happening right now.

• Like 2