Goodbye Jesus

Nasa's Huge New Space Telescope Is Finally Complete

Fweethawt

http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-huge-new-space-telescope-finally-complete/

Rejoice, all ye astronomers. Because after years of delays and billions of dollars in overruns, NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is finally complete. It’s been a long time coming.

The huge new space telescope, the biggest ever built, was unveiled yesterday at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. With its 18 gold-plated hexagonal mirrors measuring 6.5 meters (21.3 feet) across, and a sunshield the size of a tennis court, the JWST will have 100 times the observing power of Hubble when it launches in 2018.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Holy s***! Yeah! 100 times the power of Hubble. Imagine what we will be able to see!... why 2018? Why not now? Blighters, get that scope into place and start looking at stuff. Oh they have to test it... right.

Possibly a lot of current universe estimates may be overturned. Exciting times.

I just hope that this kinda thing doesn't happen to it!

:(

Oh my... that would be a colossal waste of money and huge scientific setback! You made me sad... it's like being told I might end up in hell. I think I'll go to bed now. :P

Oh my... that would be a colossal waste of money and huge scientific setback! You made me sad... it's like being told I might end up in hell. I think I'll go to bed now. tongue.png

It need not be sad, LF.

I just thought it was appropriate for us to understand that this kind of project is a high risk venture.

The launch could go perfectly and the JWST could meet (or exceed) every single one of it's mission targets.  

After all, just look at how much the Opportunity Mars rover has exceeded it's 92 day life expectancy.  (Currently 4,667 days and still going strong!)  

Thanks,

BAA.

I wonder if/when we'll get past having to use rockets.

I think so Fuego. Well let me clarify, if we are to seriously look at space exploration then we will have to massively upgrade our tech. Warp speed anyone?

BAA I was slightly exaggerating... I probably shouldn't be on here posting at 12:20am when my brain is running on adrenaline :)  I just hope that the people that dish out the research money realize its high risk and don't pull funds if something fails. If something fails, more funds are needed to try again and improve.

I wonder if/when we'll get past having to use rockets.

I think about this all the time and look at calcs too. Despite what seems obvious, the short powerful burst is the most cost effective for heavy payloads. Light weight, minor payloads could be and have been done more efficiently with gradual incline escapes.

Seems a maglev incline would work. I'd love to see that.

I just hope that this kinda thing doesn't happen to it!

sad.png

Yes, as I have read, placing the James Webb at a Lagrangian point will be a somewhat risky venture, besides all the other things that could go wrong with the scope, its launching and staging.