Goodbye Jesus

Are Trump Supporters Similar To Christians

Castiel233

Hear me out on this one.

Argue with a Christian, point out the horrors of that faith, what might you be told....."well Islam is so much much worse"

Point out the horrors of Trump......"well Hilary is so much worse"

Show that Jesus advocated all sorts of nasty stuff to be told "you are taking it out of context"

Show that trump brags about assaulting  woman and you are told "it is just locker talk" 

Share you concerns that Christianity is a danger to democracy and you are a "god hater, infidel and commie"

Share your concerns about Trump and you are "snowflake, a libtard and a commie"  

Point out the hypocrisy of the Bible......"you don't know what you are talking about and you should see the big picture"

Point out the hypocrisy of Trump ....and well.... ditto 

I can honestly see a similar chain of thinking 

To the worshippers of Christ and Trump, denial, shutting down of humanity and reason and plain insults for an opposing view seem to be somewhat of an hall mark 

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Super Moderator

I see that happening on both sides.

The same things can be said about any and all politicians. All of them are liars, hypocrites, and opportunists. I think those have become requirements to hold any elected office.

• Like 1

You seem to be having a hard time letting go of Trump's victory. Get over it already, and stop assuming all Trump supporters are this and that. 

Why don't you be concerned with issues in your own country instead mindlessly and hopelessly trying to impossibly trying to change things in OUR country? GOOD FUCKING GAWD!

I never thought I'd say this...

But I wanna have your baby.

And -- I'm of the same opinion as Vigile on this; another day without Hillary, is another day we're not at war with Russia.

And -- anyone thats in denial about THIS, is genuinely batshit crazy insane and is actually WORSE than blind followers of any religion.

Castiel honestly bud, take out Trumps name, put in Hillarys, alter the facts to Hillarys and you have the same result. Honestly the supporters of BOTH sides are similar to the religious. Both Trump and Hillary have cult like following. They are both horrible in some of their words and actions in different ways. That they were the two choices the US ended up with is sad. (Bernie Sanders anyone?)

Burnedout, on 23 Nov 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:snapback.png

Why don't you be concerned with issues in your own country instead mindlessly and hopelessly trying to impossibly trying to change things in OUR country? GOOD FUCKING GAWD!

I agree with rjn, not so much with BO. I get what BO's saying, but (On a slightly different track than the topic) non US people are concerned about what goes on in the US because it insists on sticking its big nose into everyone else's face which has consequences... and we'd prefer the consequences don't end up with a bunch of retards nuking the fuck out of the world.

My personal opinion, which doesn't count cause I'm not in the US, is that Trump in this singular issue, was better than Hillary. Stuff what else he does, if he only doesn't start WW3 then that's good for humanity.

• Like 2

I think my position on Christians has been more or less consistent in the following regard: I believe that they are evil, but I respect them for their reasoning ability in the realm of apologetics. Respectfully Castiel, I believe that your portrayal of Christian reasoning doesn't fully reflect their sophistication. When a reasonably intelligent evangelical is confronted with the horrors committed by Christians in the past, he does not simply say that Islam is worse. He will argue something along the lines of "these things were done in spite of the teachings of Jesus, not because of them." Don't get me wrong, I think that evangelical apologists are still wrong. But I think that this is a vast oversimplification of their line of reasoning.

As for Trump supporters, among whose number I count myself (since I voted for him in the primary and the general), there's a spectrum of individuals. This was the first election cycle in which I voted straight Republican. In the past I've voted for somewhere between zero and one Republican candidates per ballot, and in cases where I voted for one Republican, it was a local candiate whom I had personally met on one or more occasions. I'm quite new to the conservative movement, to be clear. From my experience in my precinct caucus, I encountered morons of the first degree. Given that I'm from a fairly educated district, I suspect that the vast majority of Trump supporters are uneducated idiots. But that doesn't automatically make Trump the worse candidate. I voted for him because I don't want any Muslim neighbors. I consider Muslims to be evil on a scale that I have not seen among even Christians, and I believe that America can survive a Trump presidency more easily than it can survive mass emigration of Muslims, who are a culture of treasonous barbarians.

My above statement is worthy of reiteration. I want to be clear that I did not vote for Trump due to disapproval or hatred of Clinton. I concede that Hillary Clinton is a qualified, intelligent and experienced stateswoman, and moreover I do believe that she is a genuine and good person. Unfortunately, she also wants to bring Syrian refugees into America. Trump, on the other hand, is a bumbling, feces-throwing orangutan who has a small chance of initiating a nuclear war via Twitter. However, I know for a fact that he will not emigrate a single Syrian Muslim across our border. I hate to be a single issue voter. Even when I was a Christian I hated Republicans who voted as they did due to the singular issue of abortion. But while Trump will damage America, the things he does can be repaired. Muslim immigration cannot be reversed. Once Muslims enter this country they reproduce rapidly and attempt to impose their disgusting and vile religion on the rest of us. Hillary Clinton is right about a lot of things, but she is wrong about one very important thing (hint: it's not the email sever), and that one issue has the ability to rend the very fabric of this country.

I hate to be an absolutist about this, but when I went to my polling place to vote early, I knew that a vote for Hillary Clinton was a vote for the Prophet Mohammad. If only Clinton had pledged to keep Muslims out of America, I could have supported or at least tolerated her view on any other issue. What I can't tolerate is a Syrian Muslim living next door to me, yelling at my wife or mother for not covering up, demanding prayer rooms at the local high school, and raising his son to hate the country that saved him from war and sending him to join Islamic State. But for the most ultra-liberal members of the faith, no one can call himself a Muslim and be a friend to Western secular democracy. Muslims have no place on American soil and I simply cannot bring myself to vote for someone who intends to allow such treasonous, hateful individuals into this country.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, interesting........dislike a world leader and be told to "leave it" and keep my business out "of other people country's"......

and I though this was "rants and replies", not "post only what is pleasing to right wingers"

anyone posting that I shouldn't have an opinion on that fouled mouth sexist as I am not an American, please check you own postings through the years to ensure that you have NEVER had an opinion on another countries leader or another country

Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that

Dislike Trump and now its all, "keep out of our business, you Brit" 

Dislike Jesus and you get the same "keep out of our business, you atheist"

Picture how a Christian feels when you moan about Christianity then check your own privilege................

If you don't like me having an opinion on Trump or world events , than don't read my posts (you know who you are). I certainly rarely read yours  

• Like 2

I think my position on Christians has been more or less consistent in the following regard: I believe that they are evil, but I respect them for their reasoning ability in the realm of apologetics. Respectfully Castiel, I believe that your portrayal of Christian reasoning doesn't fully reflect their sophistication. When a reasonably intelligent evangelical is confronted with the horrors committed by Christians in the past, he does not simply say that Islam is worse. He will argue something along the lines of "these things were done in spite of the teachings of Jesus, not because of them." Don't get me wrong, I think that evangelical apologists are still wrong. But I think that this is a vast oversimplification of their line of reasoning.

As for Trump supporters, among whose number I count myself (since I voted for him in the primary and the general), there's a spectrum of individuals. This was the first election cycle in which I voted straight Republican. In the past I've voted for somewhere between zero and one Republican candidates per ballot, and in cases where I voted for one Republican, it was a local candiate whom I had personally met on one or more occasions. I'm quite new to the conservative movement, to be clear. From my experience in my precinct caucus, I encountered morons of the first degree. Given that I'm from a fairly educated district, I suspect that the vast majority of Trump supporters are uneducated idiots. But that doesn't automatically make Trump the worse candidate. I voted for him because I don't want any Muslim neighbors. I consider Muslims to be evil on a scale that I have not seen among even Christians, and I believe that America can survive a Trump presidency more easily than it can survive mass emigration of Muslims, who are a culture of treasonous barbarians.

My above statement is worthy of reiteration. I want to be clear that I did not vote for Trump due to disapproval or hatred of Clinton. I concede that Hillary Clinton is a qualified, intelligent and experienced stateswoman, and moreover I do believe that she is a genuine and good person. Unfortunately, she also wants to bring Syrian refugees into America. Trump, on the other hand, is a bumbling, feces-throwing orangutan who has a small chance of initiating a nuclear war via Twitter. However, I know for a fact that he will not emigrate a single Syrian Muslim across our border. I hate to be a single issue voter. Even when I was a Christian I hated Republicans who voted as they did due to the singular issue of abortion. But while Trump will damage America, the things he does can be repaired. Muslim immigration cannot be reversed. Once Muslims enter this country they reproduce rapidly and attempt to impose their disgusting and vile religion on the rest of us. Hillary Clinton is right about a lot of things, but she is wrong about one very important thing (hint: it's not the email sever), and that one issue has the ability to rend the very fabric of this country.

I hate to be an absolutist about this, but when I went to my polling place to vote early, I knew that a vote for Hillary Clinton was a vote for the Prophet Mohammad. If only Clinton had pledged to keep Muslims out of America, I could have supported or at least tolerated her view on any other issue. What I can't tolerate is a Syrian Muslim living next door to me, yelling at my wife or mother for not covering up, demanding prayer rooms at the local high school, and raising his son to hate the country that saved him from war and sending him to join Islamic State. But for the most ultra-liberal members of the faith, no one can call himself a Muslim and be a friend to Western secular democracy. Muslims have no place on American soil and I simply cannot bring myself to vote for someone who intends to allow such treasonous, hateful individuals into this country.

The above is how you write an informed disagreement, polite and well argued, shame some others are not as well reasoned 

[Deleted content. It was irrelevant] 

Hmmmm, interesting........dislike a world leader and be told to "leave it" and keep my business out "of other people country's"......

and I though this was "rants and replies", not "post only what is pleasing to right wingers"

anyone posting that I shouldn't have an opinion on that fouled mouth sexist as I am not an American, please check you own postings through the years to ensure that you have NEVER had an opinion on another countries leader or another country

Picture how a Christian feels when you moan about Christianity then check your own privilege................

If you don't like me having an opinion on Trump or world events , than don't read my posts (you know who you are). I certainly rarely read yours  

I don't mind it in the least if you have an opinion. I, myself, am not an American, and I have plenty of opinions regarding America, this very subject being one of them, it's just that you seem to be stuck on the same note, and to me it seems like you're more than a little prejudiced toward non-liberals. Now, I don't want to put any words in your mouth or create a strawman, but after several threads started by you the last few weeks, it's hard not to get the feeling that all Brexit voters and Trump-supporters and whatnot (or in many cases, anti-Hillary voters, rather than avid supporters of Trump) are bigoted psuedo-fascist rednecks in your World. I, for one, have a hard time dealing with such a lack of nuance, and deems it as a pointless exercise of pointing fingers. What is anyone supposed to learn from that? Seriously. 

No subtleties here lol.. very simple. Here is your comparison:

Trump is a fascist by association and by rhetoric. (ie. Steve Bannon)

Evangelical Christians... well that's a no brainer.

http://www.alternet.org/story/47679/the_rise_of_christian_fascism_and_its_threat_to_american_democracy

The warning, given 25 years ago, came at the moment Pat Robertson and other radio and television evangelists began speaking about a new political religion that would direct its efforts toward taking control of all institutions, including mainstream denominations and the government. Its stated goal was to use the United States to create a global Christian empire. This call for fundamentalists and evangelicals to take political power was a radical and ominous mutation of traditional Christianity. It was hard, at the time, to take such fantastic rhetoric seriously, especially given the buffoonish quality of those who expounded it. But Adams warned us against the blindness caused by intellectual snobbery. The Nazis, he said, were not going to return with swastikas and brown shirts. Their ideological inheritors had found a mask for fascism in the pages of the Bible

The new Merica is fascist... well at least for the next 4 years wink.png

No more Muslims, Mexicans, illegal immigrants...

More conservative justices in supreme court... Roe vs Wade reversal, baby Jesus in the classrooms will make Merica great again lol

I don't mind it in the least if you have an opinion. I, myself, am not an American, and I have plenty of opinions regarding America, this very subject being one of them, it's just that you seem to be stuck on the same note, and to me it seems like you're more than a little prejudiced toward non-liberals. Now, I don't want to put any words in your mouth or create a strawman, but after several threads started by you the last few weeks, it's hard not to get the feeling that all Brexit voters and Trump-supporters and whatnot (or in many cases, anti-Hillary voters, rather than avid supporters of Trump) are bigoted psuedo-fascist rednecks in your World. I, for one, have a hard time dealing with such a lack of nuance, and deems it as a pointless exercise of pointing fingers. What is anyone supposed to learn from that? Seriously. 

I don't think that all Trump supporters and those who voted brexit are rednecks, I am happy to clarify that point.

I can be told to keep my opinions out of things that don't concern me as I am not an American, by the same people who often rant on about illegal immigrants and Islam despite them being neither an illegal immigrant or a Muslim 

Yes I have posted quite a few anti trump posts, but I still find it amazing (and not in a good way) that a man can so openly lie and insult his way to the Presidency. Mocking a disabled reporter just turns my stomach

You ask what anyone can learn from that........its rants and replies, I was ranting, all are welcome to post their replies. However  If having an opinion on Trump is upsetting other posters I am happy to drop the matter in the spirit of goodwill. 

I appreciate your post was not hostile and I trust that mine does not come across that way either.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Politics and religion bring out the same qualities in people. A lot of people voted for Hillary and a lot of people voted for Trump. The vote does not reflect the much smaller number of actual supporters either has. To wholeheartedly support either of these people requires a childlike faith and adherence to the dogma while critical examination and honesty gets tossed aside. Voting for one or the other because you see it as the only choice to take the lesser evil is one thing, but to see either one as our savior requires a large dose of stupidity. Both sides share equally in blind religious fervor despite all evidence.

You ask what anyone can learn from that........its rants and replies, I was ranting, all are welcome to post their replies. However  If having an opinion on Trump is upsetting other posters I am happy to drop the matter in the spirit of goodwill. 

I appreciate your post was not hostile and I trust that mine does not come across that way either.

Some people will always be upset by certain things, and instead laying out why they disagree, end up resorting to unreasoned rants... but we are in rants so take it with a gain of salt my friend. My opinion will upset some, yours will, and so will the other guy. So go ahead and post your opinion - free speech for the win.

• Like 2

I don't think that all Trump supporters and those who voted brexit are rednecks, I am happy to clarify that point.

I can be told to keep my opinions out of things that don't concern me as I am not an American, by the same people who often rant on about illegal immigrants and Islam despite them being neither an illegal immigrant or a Muslim 

Yes I have posted quite a few anti trump posts, but I still find it amazing (and not in a good way) that a man can so openly lie and insult his way to the Presidency. Mocking a disabled reporter just turns my stomach

No problem. I'm not trying to argue or anything. My intent is to question everything, including my own prejudices and preconceptions (even though I admittedly often fail at that) as well as encouraging others to do the same. Sorry if I come across as a bit aggressive, as that is not my intent. I appreciate your answer. 

Some people will always be upset by certain things, and instead laying out why they disagree, end up resorting to unreasoned rants... but we are in rants so take it with a gain of salt my friend. My opinion will upset some, yours will, and so will the other guy. So go ahead and post your opinion - free speech for the win.

+1!

Many of them simply ARE Christians. 

You can clarify all you want bubba, now take care of this situation

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

lead_960.jpg?1479753943

Hail Trump to you too ;)

You can clarify all you want bubba, now take care of this situationhttp://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

lead_960.jpg?1479753943

Hail Trump to you too ;)

He's got bigger stones than Little Peter Trudeau. ;)

Understatement of the year

Why was I called bubba?

another one for the block list...........

Why was I called bubba?

another one for the block list...........

Oh sweet Jesus! Enjoy your safe space.

Thanks, I will

You can clarify all you want bubba, now take care of this situation

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

lead_960.jpg?1479753943

Hail Trump to you too wink.png

You might want to check out the link I provided in this post in TOT, it deals with topics similar to this:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/74573-interesting-really-article-on-trump-and-the-lefts-counter-productive-strategies/#.WDbDOfnhB9M

Not a Trump-fan, but really: he can't be held responsible for every damn nutjob who endorses him. That's some nice good ol' guilt by association right there. 

To the worshippers of Christ and Trump, denial, shutting down of humanity and reason and plain insults for an opposing view seem to be somewhat of an hall mark 

Cognitive bias.

The 2016 Election and Cognitive Science

I wish it were easier though. Very few people are willing to take the time and energy to sincerely look at an opposing view. It also takes courage. I’d love to hope that more people would muster the courage to put themselves in someone else’s shoes — to sincerely consider another person’s perspective. I wish we would all keep it in mind that cognitive bias is impeding our ability to reason and to consider both sides of an argument. Perhaps that is what empathy is all about?

Trump mocks reporter with disability

If it makes you feel any better, half of America despises Trump.