Goodbye Jesus

Introduction

dertacos

Howdy all:

I'm from Idaho and I figured this site would be a great outlet to debate and talk about issues and ideas for folks who were Christians and aren't anymore. The reason I'm not a Christian is it cost too much money and I prefer rational and natural explanations for the world. It wasn't all that hard I just stopped going to church. I don't talk a whole lot so fair warning in advance! I hesitate to call myself an atheist since it seems too much like an identity to me. I'd prefer to exist in the world with a way of viewing it independent from the need to be different. I'd rather just look at things as natural and based on observable and testable rules that can be deduced and induced by empirical observation rather than use it as an identifier in society. I'd much prefer to be known as an office manager (and a damned good one too) or a Thai food addict. Seems simpler to me anyways. Another issue is I've known atheists who believed in ghosts and such and I'm not taken to that view. If anything I'd say I'm a shade of either naturalist or some sort of materialist. At the same time college has wrecked my capacity for not caring about English and so I read a lot about definitions and such, so pantheism seems interesting as an idea because of that.

Anyways I hope you're all having a good evening, it's 11:51PM where I'm at.

Hi dertacos, welcome to our community!  This is a good place to be.  We have all kinds of ex-Christians here.  Some people here have had traumatic experiences with Christianity and are going through a rough dconversion process.  Others, like myself just welcome the chance to be 100% ourselves in a way that we can't be in our daily lives, surrounded as we are by believers.  Others just want to stir the shit about politics. 

There have been some really good philosophical discussions recently.  Some of it is over my head so I just read along and hope to learn a few things here and there.  We have some currently-active members who identify as pantheists also.  Although I'm not one of them, I'm interested in exploring atheistic spirituality.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined us!  

Glad you found us. If asked about my religious status I reply by saying "I'm not a religious person" rather than declaring atheism as my status. I live in the Deep South where being religious is assumed. The word atheist is one of those volatile words that invite confrontation, at least in this part of the country, & I have no interst in that. Acknowleding that I'm not religious seems to satisfy people without upsetting them. 

Look around & check out some topics that interest you & maybe even add a few comments of your own. 

Thanks for the welcome!

• 3 months later...

Very true , Christianity costs too much money.