Goodbye Jesus

God's voice vs satan's

megasamurai

I've been wondering why so many people who believe god has revealed the truth believe in such contradictory truths. God tells some people that Calvinism is true, while reveals Arminianism to others. Some believe in literal fire, others metaphorical, There are annihilationists,universalists, and various other interpretations. If we can hear god's voice, why is it telling us contradictory information? Opposing viewpoints come from Satan, but whose view is Satan's and whose is holy? Maybe believing that voices in your head are your own thoughts and that you attribute them to supernatural forces is more plausible.  

• Like 2

After arguing with members of other christian denominations off and on for over a decade this was one of the issues that lead me to take some time off to figure things out. I saw that every denomination had drastically different interpretations of doctrine to which all of them perceived as the one and only way. I felt that if there was one bible then there must only be one truth. They couldn't all be right. At some point you start to realise that the various doctrines spur from someone's personal Interpretation which creates a whole new denomination. After a couple thousand years of interpretation ya get what you see now.

I don't know if you've ever done this trick. But if ya have a room full of people stand in a circle. Whisper a sentence in one person's ear and have them whisper it to the next until the circle is completed. By the time it gets back to the originator it is always something completely different than what he started. That's kinda how this is. Now picture it as a bunch of preachers doing that with the bible filled with versus to mess up and every time the interpretation changes a new denomination is born.

I doubt anything in existence today is the same as it was 2000 years ago.

• Like 1

Aren't many beliefs pretty recent. The belief in a pre-tribulation rapture is pretty new. If it's the irrefutable gospel truth that this will happen, why did no one believe it until the late 19th century?

Yep John Darby invented that little jewel in 1930. Now most evangelical Christian churches teach it.

Trinitarians, why doesn't everyone believe in the trinity? That's not too different than the after the fact rapture ideas. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarianism

Scriptural support[edit]

Critics argue that the Trinity, for a teaching described as fundamental, lacks direct scriptural support. Upholders of the doctrine declare that the doctrine is not stated directly in the New Testament, but is instead an interpretation of elements contained in it that are seen as implying the doctrine that was formulated only in the 4th century. Thus William Barclay, a Church of Scotland minister, says: "It is important and helpful to remember that the word Trinity is not itself a New Testament word. It is even true in at least one sense to say that the doctrine of the Trinity is not directly New Testament doctrine. It is rather a deduction from and an interpretation of the thought and the language of the New Testament."[52] And the New Catholic Encyclopedia says: "The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught [explicitly] in the [Old Testament]", "The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established [by a council]...prior to the end of the 4th century".[5

The trinity was one of the doctrines of the Baptist Church that actually made more sense in the Gospel assembly. They taught that it was three separate beings but they were all one in the respect that all three were in one mind and one Accord. All three were without sin. So in the assembly I guess that would be a polytheistic pantheon of 3. 

In the Baptist Church they tried to teach that they were all one as in one being in three separate forms which just didn't make sense. If that was the case who the hell was he praying to in the garden of Gethsemane? 

DB

11 hours ago, megasamurai said:

I've been wondering why so many people who believe god has revealed the truth believe in such contradictory truths. God tells some people that Calvinism is true, while reveals Arminianism to others. Some believe in literal fire, others metaphorical, There are annihilationists,universalists, and various other interpretations. If we can hear god's voice, why is it telling us contradictory information? Opposing viewpoints come from Satan, but whose view is Satan's and whose is holy? Maybe believing that voices in your head are your own thoughts and that you attribute them to supernatural forces is more plausible.  

The "God tells some people..." premise is likely false.  A more likely premise is that humans invent such religious memes which then propagate through different groups of the population.  This explanation is more parsimonious and fits the evidence to boot.

• Like 1

It probably has to do with making Christianity appetizing. Instead of having god send people to hell as judgement, he is now honoring free will (at least according to the "free willers"). Those who believe that hell is judgement point out that the Bible makes a huge deal about a trial we receive after our deaths. To them, what would be the point of the last judgement if god only sends people to hell to honor free will? In spite of the lack of textual evidence for this belief, most apologists, Lee Strobel, Frank Turek, J. P. Moreland, C. S. Lewis, seem to be free willers. I'm pretty sure that atheists choose hell was a twentieth century invention, but I'm not sure on the exact date. If this doctrine is true, why was it "revealed" so recently? Is it because the idea of hell as a punishment is now considered barbaric and now Christians consider it more justifiable to send people to hell under their own consent? Doesn't a change in societal paradigms make more sense than saying that god revealed that non-believers choose hell (even the non-believers who choose Nirvana, reincarnation, and other non-hell afterlives. The "unbelievers choose hell" doctrine never explains how sending a believer in reincarnation to hell honors free will.