Goodbye Jesus

Dickwad Teacher

Guest end3

So there was the Wednesday night "Sunday School" class for older adults.....this guy's message was not "What Would Jesus Do" but "What DID Jesus Do", that Christians should follow.  His first example was Jesus and the Leper.  That we needed to reach out and "touch" the "diseased" because we are all sinfully bias and label people errantly.  But, BUT, in my mind he also led the whole class that somehow we have the same miracle healing ability as does Christ and it's ok to touch someone, that on our way to healing them spiritually, that some how God makes us immune from shit like leprosy and ebola and all those nice things.  I called him on it and the a good third of the class started shaking their heads like I needed praying for.  Oh no, no, he said AFTER describing how he was physically healed and appealing to that aspect as well, that he was only talking about spiritual healing and that I was the ONLY person out of 100 that had this concept.  Hell, he made this huge deal about Jesus touching the leper PHYSICALLY.

I asked him if we were making disease synonymous to sin.....could he explain that? 

I also asked him why did he(leper) have to tell everyone he was "unclean" in the first place.....where did that come from.  The jackwad told me the leper was a Gentile and didn't fall under the Law.  Ok, so why does the Gentile have to say unclean when approached.  But then Jesus tells him go account to the Levitical Law.

I told the guy he hadn't thought about this very much and was standing in the shallow end of the theology pool.  Maybe I will give him the meat vs. milk verse next  week. 

He's an advocate of the old covenant God gone and replaced by this totally new God, Jesus.

End of rant, but I'm afraid many of you are accurate when describing the attitude of these folks.....he would not hear a bit of what I was trying to convey....said I was twisting everything.  

I guess I could have been the proper Christian and nodded with approval .....happy happy love love joy joy, pass he koolaid.

Fuck me, this is a little bit irritating....

• Super Moderator

Wow.  You need to apply more grace to your relationships, End3. ;)

Grace is so subjective. :D

...or you could just go ahead and deconvert since you seem basically there half the time. 

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Bible stories are mythology. The leper is a metaphor. Religion is the natural enemy of spirituality.

• Like 1

End you are applying critical thinking to the bible. Under the Christian worldview understanding comes via revelation.

You could test out this guys belief: Jesus says "They shall drink any deadly thing and it will not harm them"

So maybe challenging him to injesting some Cyanide might test his "faith"?

Look bud, you are half way to agreeing fully with us. Seriously consider - is there any truth to the bible? Really?

"So there was the Wednesday night "Sunday School" class for older adults..."

Delete the words Sunday School and replace them with "Bowling." Might be less issues that way. Have a good day, Sir.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, midniterider said:

"So there was the Wednesday night "Sunday School" class for older adults..."

Delete the words Sunday School and replace them with "Bowling." Might be less issues that way. Have a good day, Sir.

Lol, thanks M.  I think that a good strategy from here on out.