Goodbye Jesus

Jesus was ignorant therefore he is not God

SerenelyBlue

https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bible-true/jesus-believed-every-event-of-the-old-testament/

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_1274.cfm

It is clearly shown in the Bible that Jesus belived the Old Testament to be accurate.  For example, he talked of the extinguishing flood in the time of Noah.  We now know such a flood never happened.  Thus proof of Jesus' ignorance.  He insisted that the scriptures are accurate true and trustworthy.  We now know that the story of Adam and Eve never happened.  We know that evolution explains the origin of humankind.  Therefore we see that Jesus was ignorant.  If he is ignorant then he cannot be divine.  This is conclusive proof that Christianity is made up by humans.

If you say the old testament is errant in some instances then you cannot believe that Jesus is the son of God.

• Like 3

The links I provided are Christian links, but they prove their own folly.

Likewise, Mark 4:31 has Jesus saying that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds on earth. That is not true, which he would've known if he was the creator. 

It was the smallest known seed at the time in that region, so it would make sense for a story of purely human origins to say something like that. It makes no sense to be coming from an omniscient deity, though.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SerenelyBlue said:

https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bible-true/jesus-believed-every-event-of-the-old-testament/

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_1274.cfm

It is clearly shown in the Bible that Jesus belived the Old Testament to be accurate.  For example, he talked of the extinguishing flood in the time of Noah.  We now know such a flood never happened.  Thus proof of Jesus' ignorance.  He insisted that the scriptures are accurate true and trustworthy.  We now know that the story of Adam and Eve never happened.  We know that evolution explains the origin of humankind.  Therefore we see that Jesus was ignorant.  If he is ignorant then he cannot be divine.  This is conclusive proof that Christianity is made up by humans.

If you say the old testament is errant in some instances then you cannot believe that Jesus is the son of God.

We think Christianity was made up by humans, same as other religions.

A Christian, however, isn't going to drop Christianity because Jesus as depicted in the gospels lacked omniscience. The Christian will just say Jesus is shown from the POV of his humanity.

Errors in the OT do pretty much sink the NT, though, I agree. No Exodus, no old covenant, so no new covenant.

Many Christians choose to see many stories in the Old Testament as allegory, but Jesus didn't.  They don't realize it, but they differ with their saviour.

And Jesus died on a cross for something (Adam's curse) that does not even exist.  If God came into this world and made himself ignorant he ends up accomplishing folly.

Yeah, but if jesus would have explained all those errors then the simple people of the time would have thought him mad and done something drastic like crucify him.

mwc

50 minutes ago, mwc said:

Yeah, but if jesus would have explained all those errors then the simple people of the time would have thought him mad and done something drastic like crucify him.

mwc

Damn, I forget the potential of the apologetic mind.  What's the point in coming to an ignorant society, playing by their rules, make them think their fables are true, go so far as being crucified for a nonsensical reason and leave all that crap for a more sophisticated confused human to read later?  Surely a real god would have thought of a better way to communicate with us and to display his love.  Hell, we can think of better hypothetical ways to do it, whatever it is, today with our human minds.

• Like 1

Call me devil's advocate, but I'm curious, so go on then...

What would be a better hypothetical way?

10 hours ago, possibility said:

Call me devil's advocate, but I'm curious, so go on then...

What would be a better hypothetical way?

I was told in church that those that died before Jesus came were also somehow saved, so I see no reason not to postpone it another 2000 years.

In this day and age we are more receptive to scientific explanations.  We can also better record messages and miracles.  He can even give us a message for those who live a 1000 years after us.  A complex message that we cannot yet understand.

If Jesus was so frivolous as to turn water into wine, why could he not have written his own memoirs and insights and archivally preserved the manuscript for centuries to come?  Is that too much to ask.  Why have disciples write up broken and corrupt New Testament material years after he left earth?  

Adam and Eve did not exist so why die to to break a non existent curse?

What was he trying to achieve?  The curtain in the temple was torn, but honestly, we don't get to have a personal relationship with God anyway.  He doesn't show himself, he is not audible, visible or in any way present other than in our imaginations.

If he really wanted to die 2000 years ago.  Fine, but leave a personal archival manuscript with some useful information to us today.  That is the least he could do.

I think that we could get the best minds in the world to ponder this hypothetical plan.  Not just mine.

• Like 2

On 3 September 2017 at 8:37 PM, SerenelyBlue said:

There is nothing clear about this. Jesus is said to have used phrases like 'it is written...'  or 'have you not read...?' in many of these instances, so it isn't actually clear that he believed any of it to be true, only that he believed it to be written. He rarely used direct, unambiguous or clear language to illustrate his teaching, because it was never about the words.

Christians regularly make the mistake of believing that just because something is written, it automatically makes it true. We know this is not the case.

Having said that, I do say the Old Testament is errant in many, many instances, and I also believe that Jesus was not divine.

I just don't think it helps to use flawed arguments of apologists to support your own argument against Christianity. But I get where you're coming from.

Jesus either didn't exist or, if he did, was not what Christianity makes him out to be.  I don't have much faith in the accuracy of a Bible.  The gospels weren't even written by the people they were named after.