Goodbye Jesus

The death of Venezuela’s Humboldt glacier

Fweethawt

https://www.economist.com/news/americas/21730051-political-turmoil-making-it-impossible-scientists-study-it-death-venezuelas?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/thedeathofvenezuelashumboldtglacier

Reduced to an area of ten football pitches, a tenth of its size 30 years ago, it will be gone within a decade or two. Venezuela will then be the first country in the satellite age to have lost all its glaciers.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

With about 200,000 glaciers in the world, and 19 of them in Argentina, they have only one glacier to complain about? The southern tip of Argentina is practically on the Equator.  Argentina losing "all of its glaciers?" that's what the article says, but I cannot find that info anywhere else.  What about the 57 glaciers that are advancing in size, or the almost 200,000 other world glaciers where a net change in size has not been identified as yet?

https://www.iceagenow.com/List_of_Expanding_Glaciers.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090622-glaciers-growing.html

Yes, they can complain about lost ice in the North Pole but what about the greater advances in size of the South Pole?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151103-antarctic-ice-growing-shrinking-glaciers-climate-change/

It must be those damned global cooling folks again with their fake news.

Last time I read a paper on the subject Antarctica was gaining land ice in snowfall.... but losing sea ice. The hypothesis is that as the ocean warms it melts sea ice. This turns into water and gets evaporated and falls back on land as snow. So rather than just taking one article and proclaiming all is good in the earth it's better to take a holistic view. Imo.... which you can take with a grain of salt.

14 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Last time I read a paper on the subject Antarctica was gaining land ice in snowfall.... but losing sea ice. The hypothesis is that as the ocean warms it melts sea ice. This turns into water and gets evaporated and falls back on land as snow. So rather than just taking one article and proclaiming all is good in the earth it's better to take a holistic view. Imo.... which you can take with a grain of salt.

Of course. When I use words like "fake news" you know it is an attempt at humor of some kind.

Here is a link that contradicts other links that say that the gains in one pole offset the loses in the other.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-study-shows-global-sea-ice-diminishing-despite-antarctic-gains

11 hours ago, pantheory said:

Of course. When I use words like "fake news" you know it is an attempt at humor of some kind.

Ah, I see. The problem is today people use the expression in all seriousness so its hard to tell (especially online) weather someone is being serious, is sarcastic, humorous, or attempting satire.

Considering human nature, and our flaws at realizing stuff, we are probably in a bigger pickle in regards to general planet health than what we currently realize. 

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Ah, I see. The problem is today people use the expression in all seriousness so its hard to tell (especially online) weather someone is being serious, is sarcastic, humorous, or attempting satire.

Considering human nature, and our flaws at realizing stuff, we are probably in a bigger pickle in regards to general planet health than what we currently realize. 

Unintentional humor on your part, LF..?  

Did you mean this?

Image result for weather symbols american

Or did you mean this?

whether
ˈwɛðə/
conjunction

1. expressing a doubt or choice between alternatives.
    "he seemed undecided whether to go or stay"
    • expressing an enquiry or investigation (often used in indirect questions).
      "I'll see whether she's at home"
    • indicating that a statement applies whichever of the alternatives mentioned is the case.
      "I'm going whether you like it or not"

;)

Lol I might have unintentionally mixed my wethers up (wether - male sheep that has had its testicles removed) 

Ok that was a poor attempt at humor. 😀

The sentence only makes sense with "whether" so that must be it. 😂