Goodbye Jesus

Damn Christianity Is Even Leaking Into My Personal Life.

dd5

So recently I find a chick that talks to me once in a while is Christian. Hardcore.

Parents are pastors, works at the church and local church charities. Really really damned nice person. I do think she's become interested in me, now she's under the impression I'm a nice catholic raised boy. Little does she know I'm probably the furthest thing from it (If anything id start a movement against the church...). Now thanks to christianity ruining a perfectly good intelligent young lady I am contemplating ignoring her or casually attempting to deprogram. Logic tells me this won't work she's too brainwashed and if it did work the family drama would make her go back to Christianity.

Gotta love how once the family is involved it's a trap that you need to stay in if you want to keep them.

Reminds me of the time when I was fishing and pulled the biggest largemouth bass out of the water that I had ever caught but it had a fungus growing on its scales.... ewwww

Reminds me of the time when I was fishing and pulled the biggest largemouth bass out of the water that I had ever caught but it had a fungus growing on its scales.... ewwww

Rofl. Perfect analogy, I love it.

Try the deprogramming, but gradually. Maybe she won't quit believing entirely, but she might become a more liberal Christian as a result.

I used to be pretty brainwashed myself, and if it hadn't been for meeting non-believing friends in college, I might not have questioned.

Try the deprogramming, but gradually. Maybe she won't quit believing entirely, but she might become a more liberal Christian as a result.

I used to be pretty brainwashed myself, and if it hadn't been for meeting non-believing friends in college, I might not have questioned.

Yeah the gradual thing I was going for but uh, how would you start that, hell any topic with anything near christianity sends her off on a lecture about jesus and christianity. It's like attempting to get near a tiger that doesn't know you have a big juicy steak behind your back.

Be honest with her about who you are. Not that I'm saying you need to straight-up throw your beliefs down on her, but do it subtly. From what I've read, it seems like whenever religion comes up in conversation between you two, it's sorta' one-sided, with her going off on her own tangents. Talk to her about it when it comes up, and gradually let your beliefs known. If she doesn't dig it, then she won't talk to you anymore, and that'll be the end of it. If she is at least a little open-minded and talks about it, then that's a step in the right direction. But whatever the case, let her know what your beliefs are.

Ooooh a pastor's daughter.

They're the baddest girls of them all aren't they?...once you crack their shell.

Yeah the gradual thing I was going for but uh, how would you start that, hell any topic with anything near christianity sends her off on a lecture about jesus and christianity. It's like attempting to get near a tiger that doesn't know you have a big juicy steak behind your back.

First, "be ye not unequally yoked," is good advice for non-believers too.

But since the libido doesn't usually take advice... The way I start is by asking questions politely about bible/religious contradictions. Ask them as a scholar trying to balance the books. Let no sarcasm or condensation shine forth. She will not be able to resist setting your poor deluded Catholic mind straight. Be sure you actually know something about the question though so you know where to go with it.

Study the Socratic Method.

Try getting her to think logically about things that have nothing to do with Christianity. (Chess games are really good for that). If she doesn't play chess, try some other game that requires logical thinking.

Encourage her to read books that will make her think, particularly philosophy books but also any book that can get her to empathize with other people who aren't exactly like her. Especially if the main character follows a different religion or they have a different ethnic background. Or suggest going to a movie that she might like with a character like that who's one of the good guys. It doesn't have to be about religion at all.

If you can get her to think outside of the box, to realize that not everyone who is different from her is evil and doesn't deserve to suffer in hell for all of eternity, that should help. For me, the hell doctrine was a huge reason why I deconverted.

Yeah, I hate religion. Even as a Christian I hated religion (but used the excuse that Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship...). I had a Mormon gf once. She was awesome. But religion took her away from me. It's somewhat ironic, because my current gf is someone who I brought to Christianity, and now I'm no longer Christianity. *sigh* religion...

I cast my vote for trying to deprogram her. While no one can guarentee success, if you really think you have a chance with her, go for it. But her being the daughter of a pastor doesn't really help much... but I suppose if pastors can leave Christianity, so can their daughters.

I tried the same with my Mormon ex-gf. It didn't work. But keep in mind Mormonism is a lot different than Christianity. There's much more programming involved. I think if you approach it the right way, you can come through.

Hope everything works out for you,

-Dra Mucd Uha

I'm a baptist PK ...two out of my other three sibs are also atheist/agnostic. My sister was an extremely liberal christian until she married a pretty fundy guy she met at church; now she's swinging further to the right. :ugh: I've met LOTS of other PK's that were able to drop christianity fairly easily. Mostly just because we have a little bit of a closer seat to the front lines of hypocrisy in action.