Goodbye Jesus

Ways To Read The Bible

crazy-tiger

I'm up early waiting for a delivery, and I've been thinking about the common refrain from Christians... "You're reading the Bible wrong!"

The way I see it, there's only 3 ways to read the Bible. Literally, where it means exactly what it says... As Metaphor, where you have to interpret what it says to find out the meaning... Or a mix, where you have to work out which is which, then interpret it to get the meaning.

But which is the right way? It's time to have a look at it, and find out how we're supposed to read the Bible...

First, the Literal way...

It's pretty obvious what's wrong with this method... unless you truly believe that fly buzzing around the light bulb has only 4 legs, that Man was created twice, that <insert any of the thousands of Biblical contradictions>... in which case you're just avoiding reality. Frankly, there's so much wrong with reading the Bible literally, you would have to be insane to even consider it. (but at least you're reading what the writers meant... that's gotta be worth something)

But, what about Metaphor?

Well, you don't need to avoid Reality, but you open a huge can of worms instead. The problem with this method is you're no longer reading what the writers meant, you're reading your own meaning into the words.

Hands up anyone who cannot see the problem with this method of reading the Bible... anyone?

Obviously, this is where you notice that every single person is going to get a different meaning from the same words. The right way to read the Bible? I don't think so, since the meaning is supposed to be the same for everyone... at least, according to tradition. (got the wrong meaning? Then you're a Heretic)

That just leaves the mixed method... which must be the right way. Come on, it must be... the other two ways are screwed, so the mix just has to be the right way.

Wrong. Not only does the mixed method have you reading your own meaning rather than the writers meaning, but it has you relying on your own judgment as to which is literal and which is metaphor... and given the huge number of sects Christianity is made up of, it's painfully obvious that such judgment is unreliable to say the least.

So, which is the right way to read the Bible? Literal is out, it contradicts reality... Metaphor is out, you don't get the meaning the writers try to convey... Mixing the two is out, because you have to judge what is literal and what is metaphor THEN get a meaning other than what the writers try to convey. It's painfully obvious that there is no right way to read the Bible... which leads to the hidden "right" way.

To not read it at all...

Yep, that's right... the right way to read the Bible is to not read it at all. Just get it spoon-fed to you, get the meaning someone else created when they read it dripped slowly into your mind. That's what they mean when they tell us we're not reading the Bible right... we have to stop reading it and let someone else do it for us. But it doesn't work... all that does is push the problem back a step. It's no longer us reading it wrong, but the people reading it for us!

In the end, there is no "right" way to read the Bible... no matter which way you read it, no matter which method you choose, you've getting the wrong meaning, the wrong message.

And that is why that common refrain is so meaningless... and why I laugh every time someone uses it. :rotfl:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :phew:

well call me damned then haha

I love the bible, but I dont read it that much anymore in all honesty. I guess for me I can get the same insight that I could get from a bible in so many other ways. I watch movies and get all inspired, music, art and creation. I dont have to have the bible but it is a great book once it is inspired and not just a sword in the hand of someone that wants to control me.

The message is the same to me all thru creation, recently my 13 year old and I went to see the last Harry Potter movie and we both loved it and felt it said the main message, that this life is about love.........when you find it relish it....

sojourner

I love the bible, but...

what's there to love about it?

You have explained EXACTLY why there is more then one denomination in xtianity. kuddos.

:)

haha

listen, I have a feeling Im going to get alot of kuddos

I always heard athiests were a group of folks that have very high iq's and I think perhaps that is not off base

I wont fit here very well in an intellectual level, you will be able to get all kinds of giggles and laughs at my expense and it wont bother me cause I wont probably get why you are laughing or why Im getting kuddos

but yeah, the bible is a great book to me when the Spirit of God speaks to me thru it......but then to you there is no spirit of God, right?

But dont you all that dont believe in God have great inspirations as well? Dont you at times just gasp at the beauty of a sunset, hug your partner closer and experiance love that in that moment? To you that is human love I suppose, to me its God manifesting His love.

That happens sometimes when I read the bible as well. To me since, God is love, then whatever is in that bible that is of God will inspire that same love in me. If I read something in the bible that tries to cause me to fear, get angry or judgemental then I figure, for whatever reason, whether its a mistranslation, mans version of God entered in the mix, my own ignorance or whatever, if its not inspiring me to love then I dont spend any more time on it. I go pick up a paint brush or get in psp, walk the dog or watch a movie, Id get more out of it anyways.

sojourner

You have explained EXACTLY why there is more then one denomination in xtianity. kuddos.

:)

Actually the "kuddos" above went to crazy tiger for the OP.

But, sojourner, kuddos to you for at least reading stuff here, even if you cannot get past whatever mental road-blocks you have. Perhaps in time we will see you in the "testimonials" forum.

Good luck

To me since, God is love, then whatever is in that bible that is of God will inspire that same love in me. If I read something in the bible that tries to cause me to fear, get angry or judgemental then I figure, for whatever reason, whether its a mistranslation, mans version of God entered in the mix, my own ignorance or whatever, if its not inspiring me to love then I dont spend any more time on it. I go pick up a paint brush or get in psp, walk the dog or watch a movie, Id get more out of it anyways.

sojourner

Reminds me of something I said to my liberal Christian friend. I said "If going to church and reading the Bible is an impediment to me to carrying out Christ's command to "Love your neighbor as yourself", what would you suggest I do? She said she did not know. There was my answer. I still do not know how to achieve this lofty injunction, but I think I can look at people in a more fair and just way if I don't think the majority of them are sinners and hellbound.

Sojurner, you have been able to reinterpret the Bible for yourself. I have known others who have done this, but to me, it says what it says. There are bad parts and good parts. I don't feel I have any basis in fact for throwing out or ignoring or reinterpreting the parts I don't like. That is one of the reasons why I left the Unitarian and the Episcopal church. I could not do it. Perhaps this is because I was raised a fundamentalist. I thought I could, but it was impossible for me.

I still do not know how to achieve this lofty injunction, but I think I can look at people in a more fair and just way if I don't think the majority of them are sinners and hellbound.

Definately changes things for me. I can be free with folks now. I am not worried that Im somehow responsible for their future punishment because I dont find some way to convince them Jesus is Lord and they need to say some prayer or go to church or whatever.....I can be me and let them be them without feeling all the world has to be like me. Im no longer afraid Im going to watch all these people I knew but didnt have the wherewithall to share Jesus with burning in flames and facing a God that is going to say 'You could have told them but you didnt'........I dont know about you but since you were raised in a fundie atmosphere you probably have heard that.

I was raised as a heathen. Was taken to church a couple of times in my childhood but basically I dont have that background to deal with from my childhood. Honestly, I am very thankful for not being raised in a fundamental church somewhere. I dont know how folks keep from losing their minds beng raised in that mess.

I did go to a bible camp when I was about 8 or so years old and had a very real experiance with God that I could probably never put in words. But from that moment I felt close to God.

I guess for me DevaLight the bible has never been a something to practically worship ya know, cause I wasnt raised that way? In some christian camps the bible is right up there with God in that you wouldnt dare say some of the things I just said a post ago in this thread or your talking about God. But to me the bible is only wonderful if He is revealed thru it to me. Otherwise, its a book.

sojourner

I guess for me DevaLight the bible has never been a something to practically worship ya know, cause I wasnt raised that way? In some christian camps the bible is right up there with God in that you wouldnt dare say some of the things I just said a post ago in this thread or your talking about God. But to me the bible is only wonderful if He is revealed thru it to me. Otherwise, its a book.

sojourner

Yes, you probably can love the Bible because you were never raised a fundamentalist. That is how I see it. When you use the word "worship" in relation to the Bible --that's exactly what the fundies do, it is a kind of idol to them. They can't see that, but it is.

I don't see the same things you see in the Bible, so to me it is a book human beings put together. Still, I find your posts and your point of view interesting and very refreshing considering some of the other Christians we have dealt with recently on this site.

I'm reading a pretty good book right now....

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Unearthed-Arch...3615&sr=8-1

Giving me pretty good insight on how the Old Testament was "supposed" to be read. I'm only a few chapters in....but I can say this....the stories and characters in the OT where metaphoric representations for current events and cultural relationships at the time the stories were written.

Depending how I feel about how it finishes through....might be a good one to have in our 'recommended reading' section.

Giving me pretty good insight on how the Old Testament was "supposed" to be read. I'm only a few chapters in....but I can say this....the stories and characters in the OT where metaphoric representations for current events and cultural relationships at the time the stories were written.

Depending how I feel about how it finishes through....might be a good one to have in our 'recommended reading' section.

I can hang with that but I would add more, cause to me its more about inward events in peoples lives and is a Now book

sojourner

I can hang with that but I would add more, cause to me its more about inward events in peoples lives and is a Now book

sojourner

LOL....this book is about the old testament and the events in there. The old testament, particularly if it is the metaphorical cultural "history" of the time, has no bearing on other places, other times, or most specifically other peoples. Unless you are a truly orthodox jew, and walk outside your city with a spade every time you have to poo, the OT is nothin more than a glimpse into someone else's cultural history.

As for the new testament......haven't found a decent book on that yet.

But there are several versions of the bible; the King James version, the New King James version, the Living Bible, the New Bible, the Standard American Bible, the New Webster Bible, the Bible for the New Age and the Revised Bible.

Each one is written totally different than the other to further confuse readers. Each is written with the excuse it was interpreted from the original Greek Text.

Boy oh boy that original Greek text must have been one really f-cked up piece of crap if nine different versions of the bible all came from it.

So which ever version you love to read will be totally different than the other eight.

So how do you know what you are reading is the right version? The answer: You don't.

It is like any other work of fiction; if a Harry Potter or Nibs the Cat books are all written in nine different versions, how would anyone know which is the true version?

But I suspect it does not really matter anyway as long as it entertains you to help you while away your time instead of taking a brisk walk around the block or up the road and watch the world go by instead.

:rolleyes: