Goodbye Jesus

Addictions And Godlessness

Guest Marie LaPagina

Guest Marie LaPagina

Hi all! This is my first post ever here. I was referred by IIDB.org

I have an addiction that causes a lot distress in my life and I've been trying to deal with it for almost 5 years. My therapist for the last 2 years has been constantly encouraging me to join a 12 step group, but I can't bring myself to do it because I hate the "Higher Power" junk. (I'm an ex-Christian fundy, missionary)

How does someone with no faith in a higher power and a great sense of independence deal with an addiction? Everyone tells me that the higher power can be what you want it to be, but I still just have a hard time sitting in those meetings, reading the literature, etc, when I know everyone is thinking of God when they say higher power.

I'm mostly just frustrated with my addiction and have seen it get 100% worse since leaving Christianity. Oh, and my addiction is compulsive overeating. Its embarassing to say, because it doesn't sound as serious as alcoholism or something, but it seriously is that bad for me.

Anyways, I would love to hear what you guys have to say. You seem like an informed, enlightened community and I'm excited to know what you know!!

Marie

Marie,

Rational Recovery

Try here. Godless very potent recovery system.

kFL

Hi all! This is my first post ever here. I was referred by IIDB.org

I have an addiction that causes a lot distress in my life and I've been trying to deal with it for almost 5 years. My therapist for the last 2 years has been constantly encouraging me to join a 12 step group, but I can't bring myself to do it because I hate the "Higher Power" junk. (I'm an ex-Christian fundy, missionary)

How does someone with no faith in a higher power and a great sense of independence deal with an addiction? Everyone tells me that the higher power can be what you want it to be, but I still just have a hard time sitting in those meetings, reading the literature, etc, when I know everyone is thinking of God when they say higher power.

I'm mostly just frustrated with my addiction and have seen it get 100% worse since leaving Christianity. Oh, and my addiction is compulsive overeating. Its embarassing to say, because it doesn't sound as serious as alcoholism or something, but it seriously is that bad for me.

Anyways, I would love to hear what you guys have to say. You seem like an informed, enlightened community and I'm excited to know what you know!!

Marie

There are some pretty good studies that getting together with people just like you and dwelling on your weakness aren't good ways to make progress, which is exactly what 12-step programs do.

There are some resources here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/alterna...entcenters.html

Marie,

Rational Recovery

kFL

I just read quite a bit on this site, all I can say is WOW that is so impressive! I have a few addictions myself that I need to overcome, and this REALLY sounds logical!

Well worth reading!

I say give the 12 step programs a go..

The 12 step program of Narcotics Anonymous does not require that you believe in G-d. In fact, many people who are in the program are atheists, agnonstics, and deists..Me included.

I can honestly say that a 12 step program is the best thing that ever happened to me.

PM me if you want to chat about anything.

Rip

ps

I have been clean for 5 1/2 years

Marie,

Rational Recovery

kFL

I'd like to thank you for referring me to Rational Recovery, there are a number of atheists that ask me for god-free alternatives to Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous or even Overeaters Anonymous.