Goodbye Jesus

Deborah 13: Warrior Of God

RevOxley_501

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted, i know, things have been exceedingly busy in so many ways around my neck of the woods lately. Thought i would show you guys a really neat documentary I just saw from the BBC the other day and I just had to blog about it. (i dont know how to insert youtube videos and i cant even get to them at my work but it is at the bottom of the link im posting).

The Drappers are a very devoted Christian family in England, homeschooled kids, all the normal Fundie Christian stuff. The focus of the documentary however, is Deborah...age 13...and she is almost a carbon copy of Ray Comfort in every argument she makes...anyway...its a good little documentary and I couldn't find a thread that anyone else had posted on it so I thought I would share it...its an hour long but very much worth it.

http://ragingrev.com/2009/03/27/little-deborah-drapper/

also, I wonder if any of you were like she is when you were Christians? I was

That was both frightening and heartbreaking.

I was never bit by the Jesus bug that badly, but I did share her belief that I was a horrible wretched abomination; a belief that almost killed me.

They must live with so much fear and sorrow believing that the world is going to be damned...

and she is almost a carbon copy of Ray Comfort in every argument she makes

I thought the exact same thing! She steals a lot of his evangelizing "techniques". Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can easily refute them.

I wasn't like this as a kid. I started to be when I was 17, but even then if they didn't want to come to youth group or whatever, I wouldn't hound them about it. I could actually take no for an answer. I didn't go up to random people and evangelize, though, especially in the dark. WTF was she thinking doing that? This poor girl has a lot to learn about how the world actually works. I hope she takes the advice of her brother's friends and starts to live a little instead of constantly worrying about the state of everyone's souls.

What a shame. She thinks she "belongs" to her father until he "gives" her to her husband.

I've stolen, lied, blasphemed, coveted, etc. And I am a good person. I detest the guilt that goes along with being a believer. Every time we sang "Amazing Grace," we pretty much had to admit to being a worm. How degrading is that? What bullshit!

I brought this up a few days ago, but the Drappers look like a mesh between the Duggers and Westborough Baptist Church.

Here are the links to the 6 part series on youtube.

I saw this too when it was on tv - i saw so much of myself as a child in her - it was very sad in so many ways - it made me angry too. I didnt do evangelising like she did - i was far too devoid of confidence to do that, but i felt all the worm like feelings and was scared of others going to hell. I feel so lucky now to have 'seen the light' just wish it had happened a lot earlier - ive been left with some shit from christianity that i dont think i will ever be able to 'heal' - but thats another story! Poor girl!

That is a heartbreaking documentary. I've just watched the first part. I plan on watching the rest at home.

Favorite part is when the brother and her are at the dance club and "I Kissed a Girl" started playing he had to sit down cause he "didn't believe in that."

Homosexuality, the ultimate hot potato issue with evangelical fundies.

This is really, really sad.

Favorite part is when the brother and her are at the dance club and "I Kissed a Girl" started playing he had to sit down cause he "didn't believe in that."

Homosexuality, the ultimate hot potato issue with evangelical fundies.

last year when we went on vacation every time that song came on one of the girls that was with us kept talking about how Katy Perry should die or be shot and shit like that for writing that song...it was embarrassing to be in the same group as that person.