Goodbye Jesus

Bipolar Religiosity - Bipolar Disorder And My Religious Experience

Brother Jeff

Last year I wrote a book about bipolar disorder (which I have) and my religious experience. The book contains my religious writings, both pro and con. All of you are more than welcome to read it, and of course I would appreciate feedback. Glory!

Bipolar Religiosity - Bipolar Disorder and My Religious Experience.pdf

• Like 4

Thanks for the link! I just downloaded it. I loved this quote:

"Sometimes I get TIRED! I get TIRED of fighting HARD for what most everybody else just takes for granted. What I wouldn't give for ONE day away from this living hell..."

I have mental health issues myself that have been manifesting since my early childhood, it's part of the reason that I decided to pursue psychology/counseling, to maybe some day help others who are dealing with the same issues.

I have a close family member who has Bipolar II and even though they are in treatment, it affects them daily. I wish people understood that mental health treatment is nothing even close to a "cure". It's more like insulin for a diabetic. It allows you to survive, but it doesn't come close to making your life "normal" in any sense, and sometimes it barely manages to make life tolerable. The person has to work incredibly hard, even with treatment/medication, in order to function in a "normal" society, and it can be exhausting and overwhelming.

Thanks for sharing, I think the more information out there that helps explain mental health issues and give insight into what life is really like living with these conditions, the better people can understand and help those in their own life with the same issues.

• Like 5

"Sometimes I get TIRED! I get TIRED of fighting HARD for what most everybody else just takes for granted. What I wouldn't give for ONE day away from this living hell..."

I have mental health issues myself that have been manifesting since my early childhood, it's part of the reason that I decided to pursue psychology/counseling, to maybe some day help others who are dealing with the same issues.

I have a close family member who has Bipolar II and even though they are in treatment, it affects them daily. I wish people understood that mental health treatment is nothing even close to a "cure". It's more like insulin for a diabetic. It allows you to survive, but it doesn't come close to making your life "normal" in any sense, and sometimes it barely manages to make life tolerable. The person has to work incredibly hard, even with treatment/medication, in order to function in a "normal" society, and it can be exhausting and overwhelming.

Thanks for sharing, I think the more information out there that helps explain mental health issues and give insight into what life is really like living with these conditions, the better people can understand and help those in their own life with the same issues.

I'm happy to report now that I am doing so well that I hardly know that I have bipolar disorder. I haven't been depressed in months and I haven't been manic in over a year. I feel well and function normally most of the time. The depression I had lasted three days, and that was while I was out of chia seeds. I take them regularly with my Shakeology shake breakfasts. But yeah, mental illness can be and often is a living hell that people who are mentally healthy have a hard time understanding. The more we can do to wipe out the stigma that comes with mental illness, the better!

• Like 3

I'm happy to report now that I am doing so well that I hardly know that I have bipolar disorder. I haven't been depressed in months and I haven't been manic in over a year. I feel well and function normally most of the time. The depression I had lasted three days, and that was while I was out of chia seeds. I take them regularly with my Shakeology shake breakfasts. But yeah, mental illness can be and often is a living hell that people who are mentally healthy have a hard time understanding. The more we can do to wipe out the stigma that comes with mental illness, the better!

That's awesome to hear that man. Also, well said about mental health issues. I too have OCD/depression/lack of focus/anxiety symptoms that i am working through and have to manage with food, exercise, nutrition, lifestyle, etc. etc.

Keep fighting the good fight man!

Hi Jeff, 

Thank you for sharing this. Are you going to publish this as a book? I think a lot of doctors can benefit from this information. I don´t now in how far there is already a lot of information on the subject, but I think 

this this is a wonderful addition to it.

Have you seen the documentary about bipolar disorder made by Stephen Fry? 

How big is the impact healthy food on how you feel? You talk about chia seeds, are there other things that you find that are helping you? 

• Like 1

I already published it last year on Amazon and on Kindle. I haven't promoted it much, but I should. :) 

Healthy eating makes a huge difference in how I feel! So does exercise. I do take Geodon, but I'm not sure how much it's really helping besides maybe with sleep. I'm a huge advocate of managing mental illness through healthy lifestyle. It's made a tremendous difference for me and I think it should for others as well...

• Like 1

Wow, I'm reading your book and I am learning a lot.  I have a former best friend who fits what you describe, the moods and the religion, and she always denied there was any problem.  Her family denied it.  So she never got help and still hasn't as far as I know and is now in her 50's.  So sad.  It's a medical condition, not something to deny and keep quiet.  Her family was catholic and she quit being that but got into an alternative religion, which never helped her with dealing with reality at all.  It makes me beyond angry that religion denies mental illness and thinks everything should just be prayed over, regardless of the religion.

I'm just babbling here because it is all making me angry.  My former best friend was a really great person, smart and fun and great to hang out with, but over the decades it became impossible to deal with her.  I'm glad, Brother Jeff, that you are aware of your real problem and have dealt with it/are dealing with it in a REAL way.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm reading your book and I am learning a lot.  I have a former best friend who fits what you describe, the moods and the religion, and she always denied there was any problem.  Her family denied it.  So she never got help and still hasn't as far as I know and is now in her 50's.  So sad.  It's a medical condition, not something to deny and keep quiet.  Her family was catholic and she quit being that but got into an alternative religion, which never helped her with dealing with reality at all.  It makes me beyond angry that religion denies mental illness and thinks everything should just be prayed over, regardless of the religion.

I'm just babbling here because it is all making me angry.  My former best friend was a really great person, smart and fun and great to hang out with, but over the decades it became impossible to deal with her.  I'm glad, Brother Jeff, that you are aware of your real problem and have dealt with it/are dealing with it in a REAL way.

I can't count the number of times I was prayed for in church for healing of what I now know is bipolar disorder. I hit the floor for Jesus many times! I was told that I was having "spiritual surgery" done on me by God, and I had many very emotional religious highs. But... I never got healed. Once the emotions wore off, I was still exactly the same and still very ill with bipolar disorder. Yeah, now I know what the real problem is and how to deal with it in real and healthy ways! Glory!

So sorry to hear about your friend, though. That really sucks...

• Like 2

I am soooooo dang proud of you Jeff!! It almost make me want to pass gas!! moon.gif 

You are such an encouragement ...you have come a long way my dear friend!! We need you to be Ex-c's Councillor!! yellow.gif 

You are VERY needed around here....woohoo.gif

For you!! kiss.gif 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqjD4oinpJA

I can't count the number of times I was prayed for in church for healing of what I now know is bipolar disorder. I hit the floor for Jesus many times! I was told that I was having "spiritual surgery" done on me by God, and I had many very emotional religious highs. But... I never got healed. Once the emotions wore off, I was still exactly the same and still very ill with bipolar disorder. Yeah, now I know what the real problem is and how to deal with it in real and healthy ways! Glory!

So sorry to hear about your friend, though. That really sucks...

I had numerous prayers for/about my anxiety/depression too, and every time there was the crushing blow when I realized it didn't work and I still had to deal with it every day. The utterly ridiculous thing, though is that when the prayer doesn't work, it's turned around and people say things like, "Well maybe god is trying to teach you something in this" or something like that.

I had similar experiences with prayer for anxiety/depression.  It made me quite angry for a while but I am over that now.

I am soooooo dang proud of you Jeff!! It almost make me want to pass gas!! moon.gif

You are such an encouragement ...you have come a long way my dear friend!! We need you to be Ex-c's Councillor!! yellow.gif 

You are VERY needed around here....woohoo.gif

For you!! kiss.gif 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqjD4oinpJA

Thank you so much, Sister Margee! You are so glorious and such an asset to this glorious site! We all love you so much!! And I do love that song! :)

I don't think Christianity causes bipolar but it would perhaps exacerbate it because the guilt and bad me thinking cannot be good for a depressed person but on other hand....

I have a bipolar friend and sometimes I think the xianity may be good for him in the sense it fools him into thinking he has answers and it provides structure so I don't talk down his religiosity for fear of sending him off deep end