Goodbye Jesus

Too Stupid To Know They're Stupid: The Dunning-Kruger Effect

FreeThinkerNZ

• Super Moderator

Is this the same as me thinking I'm good at sex but the girl walks away upset. Or thinking I'm bad at sex and girl walks away with a big smile and a broken hip?

Neither of those scenarios has ever played out outside the confines of your own head.

• Like 5

Is this the same as me thinking I'm good at sex but the girl walks away upset. Or thinking I'm bad at sex and girl walks away with a big smile and a broken hip?

Neither of those scenarios has ever played out outside the confines of your own head.

Sure they have. Either I'm good at sex or I'm bad at it.

Either I think I'm good at sex but I'm not or I think I'm bad but I'm actually good.

This is a true dichotomy.

Furthermore I did not know there are real people out there in this world with the following.

2 penis

2 vaginas

No genitals at all

Google each one if will give you a name and a fac . The chick with no genitals I wonder if she gets a boyfriend if he will use other holes

Either I think I'm good at sex but I'm not or I think I'm bad but I'm actually good.

Furthermore I did not know there are real people out there in this world with the following.

2 penis

2 vaginas

No genitals at all

Google each one if will give you a name and a fac . The chick with no genitals I wonder if she gets a boyfriend if he will use other holes

Ephesians 5: 3 - 7.

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 

For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 

Therefore do not be partners with them.

• Like 5

I understand this but at the same it feels like it's saying I can't be a confident person and I end up slipping back into my insecurity...I don't get it.

This might sound odd but I think a lack of confidence is good if used in the right way. It's interesting to think about it from a correlation vs causation view. There is a correlation of overconfidence and ignorance, but what is the cause?

Many people who are lacking skills are overconfident.

Many people who have skills are less confident.

Overconfidence causes you to stop seeking new information. Why keep learning when you know enough already? Overconfidence leads to ignorance.

Lack of confidence causes you to keep seeking information. You don't know enough to feel confident so you keep studying and practicing. A lack of confidence leads to learning.

I know it's hard to overcome insecurities. I see people feel really sure of themselves with very low level of knowledge because they have learned that low level of information very easily. People who are at the beginner stage feel way more confident than I do at intermediate level skill in the same area. I think because once you learn a lot about something you see there is so much more to learn ahead of you. I know there are people way better than me so I'm comparing myself to them while usually ignoring the fact that many aren't as good as me. So it is because of my insecurities that I ended up reaching the higher level where others felt like they knew enough at a lower level. I do feel better about my insecurities when I think of it that way. The self doubting might be a part of one's personality that is difficult to change. It seems bad from your own perspective, but it's really a positive trait to have in the long run in my opinion.

I used to think I was an idiot because everybody else felt so confident, until I found out later they were just overconfident without much skills or knowledge.

How do you know that you know something well? That depends on what it is. I gain confidence from testing myself. I gain confidence from expanding my knowledge.

• Like 1

Free ThinkerNZ

What you say is so true. Interesting, I have also noticed that extremely intelligent folks underestimate the ability of people of average intelligence. Rip

• Like 1

2 penis

2 vaginas

No genitals at all

You could also be so-so at sex. I don't think of sex as a dichotomy of good or bad.

Two people are having sex. Two people are experiencing different levels of enjoyment from that sex. One can be having enjoyable sex while the other isn't.

Also one person might like how you perform at sex while another might dislike the same sexual performance. Too much subjectivity.

As a side question... You're the only Christian I see posting a response to this thread. Why do you choose sex as your example skill? It seems like most Christians tend to avoid bringing up sex in conversations that don't warrant it.

• Like 1

Sorry, I just had to comment.... I have experienced broken hip (not from sex) and it rendered me unable to walk for a while. Didn't smile much at the time either. 

So you must be really good at sex if a girl with a broken hip in fact walks away smiling after sleeping with you. 

Ok. I apologise. *crawls away*

The Dunning-Kruger effect pretty much explains every creationist I've ever interacted with.

"OOOOOH. I'VE READ ANSWERS IN GENESIS! I KNOWS ALL THE SCIENCES! WERE YOU THERE?"

• Like 4

Another viewpoint:

“To be honest, the DK Effect is something has really only taken off in the blogosphere in the last couple years. It's passed along, mentioned, and repeated not because there's a huge body of psychological research behind it but because there's rhetorical value in being able to dismiss people you disagree with or who offend you as cretins too incompetent to realize they don't understand.”

http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-notable-flaws-in-Dunning-Kruger-as-a-theory

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

~Confucius

As a Christian, I freely admit there is a lot about God and the Bible I don’t understand or know.

However, my limited understanding is enough to persuade me that God as revealed in creation and in the message of the scriptures is enough for to me to have faith in.

• Like 2

As a Christian, I freely admit there is a lot about God and the Bible I don’t understand or know.

However, my limited understanding is enough to persuade me that God as revealed in creation and in the message of the scriptures is enough for to me to have faith in.

That's nice.

Nobody asked you about this, and nobody here cares.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I mean no disrespect, obviously, but isn't this nothing more than a fancy way of saying, "I'm just dumb enough to believe this shit"?

• Like 6

Another viewpoint:

“To be honest, the DK Effect is something has really only taken off in the blogosphere in the last couple years. It's passed along, mentioned, and repeated not because there's a huge body of psychological research behind it but because there's rhetorical value in being able to dismiss people you disagree with or who offend you as cretins too incompetent to realize they don't understand.”

The DK effect has been known about and studied by research psychologists for years.

Maybe people use it to describe people like you IH because it is accurate?

Another viewpoint:

~Confucius

However, my limited understanding is enough to persuade me that God as revealed in creation... 

Where in creation, Ironhorse?

Where do you see God revealed in creation?

Please cite specific examples.  

Stop giving us your deliberately vague, chicken**** generalities and give us specific examples which we can examine.

and in the message of the scriptures is enough for to me to have faith in.

And here's the thread where I expect you to concede the point I made in post # 40 or argue your position on it.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/66352-the-omnipotence-of-god/page-2#.VMfa2WisUuk  

Don't run away!

Don't dodge!

Concede or argue.  

• Like 1

Another viewpoint:

~Confucius

Dang! I messed up and gave the above post a positive rep point when I merely meant to hit the quote button so I could point out that it's a great example of the D-K effect in action. Wendytwitch.gif

<snip>

Dang! I messed up and gave the above post a positive rep point when I merely meant to hit the quote button so I could point out that it's a great example of the D-K effect in action. Wendytwitch.gif

That's probably how the christ-trolls get most of their upvotes, lol.

Guest Furball

If i know i am stupid does that still make me stupid? Maybe i can start something called the freddy krueger effect. -yay for me

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

John Cleese on Stupidity.

Posted by Ironhorse yesterday...

"As a Christian, I freely admit there is a lot about God and the Bible I don't understand or know.
However, my limited understanding is enough to persuade me that God as revealed in creation and in the message of the scriptures is enough for me to have faith in."

...just two days after I showed him this scriptural contradiction.

1 Timothy 6 : 16 says that God cannot be approached and Job 1 : 12 & 2 : 7 both say that Satan not only approached God, but came into His immediate presence.

So, guys and girls, do you see Ironhorse's shining integrity and peerless honesty at work here?

When someone forces a Biblical contradiction under his nose - there's a lot about the Bible he doesn't understand or know.

When a scriptural contradiction is shown to him - scripture itself cannot be at fault, it must be his limited understanding.

When the message in the scriptures is shown to be man-made - he has faith that it's really from God.

Folks,

I really didn't think that Ironhorse could sink any lower in my eyes... but I was wrong.

Please take note of his shameful, shameless dishonesty.

I'm sorry, I just can't write any more... I have to go and puke!

I freely admit that there is a lot about chemistry that I don't understand.

However my limited understanding is enough to persuade me that fire is an element.  And that is enough for me to assume it is true.

Now I need to find a chemistry forum and let them know that they are wrong.

• Like 4

Guest Furball

Their christian propaganda has told them not to question their source of truth or otherwise it's to the pit for them. If they are questioning it then they are told satan is at work in their lives to secretly destroy them, so this fear keeps them enslaved to a false system of beliefs and keeps the collection plate full. I am not an all knowing kind of guy but i would say that ironhorse probably thinks satan is working through you all to destroy him. -oh well

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I am not an all knowing kind of guy but i would say that ironhorse probably thinks satan is working through you all to destroy him. -oh well

Ironhorse comes here on his own freewill and volition.  If anyone is being used by satan, it would be Ironhorse being used against himself.

Another viewpoint:

~Confucius

The Jesus Effect.... a story passed along through the years ... not because there is really any truth to it... where is this Jesus, after all? Besides in your imagination. But the Jesus Effect is a great income generation method for churches. Church is like a really really expensive club. Eventually some people see there is zero return on this investment, however.

• Like 1