Goodbye Jesus

Atheists Aren’t Citizens

thunderbolt

Forgive me if this was discussed before, but I only came across this today:

No person in public life may be free to impugn the patriotism of any minority group because of that group's opinion in respect to religion. President George Bush is herewith censured for his public expression of August 27, 1987, at which time he stated: "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens , nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

George W. Bush

:ugh:

I have personally been aware of this quote for a long time now. As far as I'm concerned, both Bushes - father and son - can kiss my patriotic atheist citizen ass!

People like me care a hell of a lot more about this country than they do. They are tearing it down and destroying our reputation in the world. I can't wait to get somone in office who actually will be "a uniter, not a divider"! Glory!

It just goes to show you how much U.S. history one needs to actually know to become president. Otherwise he wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment. He must firmly believe this country was founded soley by Christians and that it is a Christian theocracy, not a secular democracy (or at least it should be).

^^^^^

:lmao:

I guess this would come in handy right about now:

bush_mosaico_culos.jpgmid.jpg

^^^^^

WOW! Now that is funny. I'm going to share that with co-workers.

No person in public life may be free to impugn the patriotism of any minority group because of that group's opinion in respect to religion. President George Bush is herewith censured for his public expression of August 27, 1987, at which time he stated: "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens , nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

George W. Bush

If I remember correctly, George Bush Sr (rather then W) said this when he was President. He may have picked this up from the wonderful Texas constitution which still prohibits atheists from holding public office...

The Texas Constitution

Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS

Section 4 - RELIGIOUS TESTS

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Is it legal for state constitutions to do that?

NC does it too.

Article 6, Section 8

Sec. 8. Disqualifications for office.

The following persons shall be disqualified for office:

First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

Second, with respect to any office that is filled by election by the people, any person who is not qualified to vote in an election for that office.

Third, any person who has been adjudged guilty of treason or any other felony against this State or the United States, or any person who has been adjudged guilty of a felony in another state that also would be a felony if it had been committed in this State, or any person who has been adjudged guilty of corruption or malpractice in any office, or any person who has been removed by impeachment from any office, and who has not been restored to the rights of citizenship in the manner prescribed by law.

It isn't legal in state constitutions. The Constitution at the federal level wins.

Until someone in the state of Texas (or other states that require that one must hold some sort of Religious belief ) Runs for office and is told they can't based on their lack of faith, takes it to the USSC (United States Supreme Court) to have it over turned, those laws will stay until challenged unfortunately.

However states that are in the bible belt, I don't see that happening anytime soon. A person as a known atheist wont win an election by the majority bible thumpers there. They will have him painted as the anti-Christ befor its done.

Anyway, Someone as an open atheist will have to run and be declined for the run office to get the laws off the books.

Who has the money and passion to do that? :shrug:

THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION

Article. VI.

Clause 1: All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

Clause 2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Clause 3: The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Like Japedo said, althought an Athiest has a chance of running for president, it will never happen. They could be the most qualified, wise, and potentially best president in US history; doesn't matter thought, because they dont belive in the allmighty sky demon, they'll never make it. Even moderate Christians wouldn't vote for them.

Forgive me if this was discussed before, but I only came across this today:

George W. Bush

:ugh:

Yeah. Imagine being five years old, and hearing your president say that, when you know what an athiest is, and are one. That son-of-a-bitch could rot in hell for all I care.

^^^^^

I guess this would come in handy right about now:

bush_mosaico_culos.jpgmid.jpg

Okay...are those assholes? :twitch::HaHa:

Okay...are those assholes?

Of COURSE not!

:Hmm: What if we started a Japedo office campaign with fundraisers....would you do it?? I'd vote for you! :grin:

LOL you are so sweet SAA!!!.. (Blush :HappyCry: )

I'm to much of a damn Yankee to ever be able to survive or serve the public in the bible belt.. Besides, If I were to live in Texas I might be asked to go hunting with Shoot um up Cheney who might mistake me for game... :grin:

That and besides the fact I'm not an atheist, I don't really know where I stand on a higher power. I don't worship or follow any but that's not to say one/ some don't exist? :shrug: I would support anyone who would run just to challenge the law though.

Hi guys

Being from Uk excuse ignorance of some US history. But when did the presidency get roped into the fundy religion? Is this a recent thing?

Hi guys

Being from Uk excuse ignorance of some US history. But when did the presidency get roped into the fundy religion? Is this a recent thing?

Hi Dibby,

Yes it's recent, our current president - George W - is the first fundy puppet. Both Clinton and Carter belonged to a fundamentalist denomination (Southern Baptist), but neither tried to implement a fundy regime.

Hi guys

Hi Dibby,

Yes it's recent, our current president - George W - is the first fundy puppet. Both Clinton and Carter belonged to a fundamentalist denomination (Southern Baptist), but neither tried to implement a fundy regime.

Thanks TF. Whats his take on the war on terror vs the sentiments of the sermon on the mount then? He is a follower of Jesus right? :grin:

Thanks TF. Whats his take on the war on terror vs the sentiments of the sermon on the mount then? He is a follower of Jesus right? :grin:

He says he's a follower, but I wonder if it's really just an act to gain and keep the political support of fundamentalists in America. They have become a powerful voting block and their leaders are very demanding.

Interesting, tho, is that the fundies as a whole are very gung-ho about the war in Iraq. Don't know how they reconcile that with the sayings of their Jesus (turn the other cheek, forgive your enemies, blessed are the peacemakers, etc.)

Hi guys

Religion & the presidency is not really recent at all; almost every president in the last 100+ years has been at least openly (although not necesarily DEEPLY) religious. John F Kennedy actually caused a little bit of a stir in his campaign because he was the first Catholic president and a lot of protestants felt that he might owe allegiance to the pope rather than the country. Most presidents would have steered wayyyy clear of fundy's though, and the reasons are precisely for what you have been seeing in the US for the last 5 years, they have never really big on civil liberty. The downside is that religion has been in a decline over the last 30 years here and our preachers have done a really good job of whipping up a lot of paranoia over the reasons why. I believe the main reason is the information age and that people are simply getting smarter (hence the attempts to "dumb down" our education system & try to regain a younger following), although they are coming up with all kinds of conspiracy theories (ie; the war on Christmas, gay marraige) about how democrats & liberalism = devil.

Bush was pretty smart to play the religion card (I doubt he would have ever made the office if he hadn't); although I thought his election campaign violated the separation clause in spirit if not the letter. It is a VERY recent event to jump on any sort of fundy wagon with both feet like he has, but the circumstances were really good for Bush. I believe Clinton's little "indescretion" helped to paint the democratic party as "immoral" and that gave Bush the perfect ammunition. Unfortunately, our "uniter not a divider" has put into motion something that is probably going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better...

What is the difference between this:

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens , nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

George W. Bush

and this:

"the life of an unbeliever has no value. It has no sanctity."

Sheikh Bakri Muhammad (from Attack on London 'inevitable' - SpecialsWarOnTerror)

As I grew more and more aware of the agenda of the Republican party in the U.S. during my lifetime, I've come to the sad conclusion that I will never vote for another republican ore openly religious Democrat again.

Frankly I'm very dissappointed in my country.

As George Carlin once said,

"Realize how stupid the average person is,

and then realize that half of them are stupider than that."

And there we have it, the 2000 and 2004 elections explained.

At the same time, the Democrats seem to have a deathwish.

What can I say, George Bush Sr so openly slammed about 30 million

estimated atheist Americans, and yet, if he did that against Jews

or African Americans or women or the cay community...

just imagine the outcry. Why didn't we with one voice say STFU George!

There's just not enough of us. Is America doomed?

Was the "UNDER GOD" stamp the kiss of death?

It's been a good couple centuries over all.

But some parts of europe where atheism is not only respected but encouraged are looking better and better all the time.

-G

Dang, sorry for all the typos. Is there a way to edit one's posts?

I'll proof read myself better. LOL