Goodbye Jesus

"it's Not Slavery, It's Happy Nice Slavery!"

SkepticalDaniel

• Super Moderator

Sorry, I only got as far as "...one random biological organism, standing on one random rock..."  If "random" is his understanding of biological evolution, then he lacks the intellectual fortitude to say anything relevant about morality.

This is disgusting.

The part with Exodus 21:20-21 was appalling! I'm sorry, I simply can't accept the defense that it's talking about an "accidental death".

My response is on the other side of the link.

What other side, can you show me?

In the comments box of the Youtube video.

EDIT: Here is what I said:

"Whilst it is true that whatever is described in the Bible is not like the sort of slavery practised in the American South (and probably other colonies) and possibly even contemporary cultures, and whilst it is true that some "slaves" were more like indentured servants, it's a bit much to say that everything mentioned is not slavery. (For example, I realise that male servants would be freed after seven years, but I understand that did not apply to female servants, possibly IIRC including the wives of male sevants if they married within he household.)

Secondly, you claim that if one is an atheist then one has no basis for morality at all. This is a tenuous argument. For one thing we are social beings who depend upon one another for survival. So to harm our fellow human beings, especially in our own families, communities, tribes etc. or to promote conflict within the group at least, would be much the same as harming ourselves. So, there is nothing to suggest we could not have evolved a sense of right or wrong (contrary to your assertions evolution is not 100% random, but shaped by the processes that permit some to survive and others not to) and also have conceived laws and customs to prevent that. Secondly, we as intelligent beings are able to make our own minds up, and hence conceive our own basis for morality. It is of course true that there is no absolute basis outside of ourselves for morality short of some omnipotent creator god, but that is not the same as no basis whatsoever.

You also start the video with very tenuous assumptions about the existence of such a god. for you, we non-beleivers are simply looking for excuses not to follow our maker. Well, I realise that if it were true, then one dare have no such excuse but if one wants to beleive the bible, one must accept a great many things and live according to a standard that is next to impossible unless that god definitely exists to help us acheive it. I have tried to beleive before, but I think when the evidence is taken into consideration, the Bible looks a lot like nothing more more like the progressively rehashed myths of Bronze and Iron Age agrarians and pastoralists that contradict each other at every turn, and not like the inspired work of an all powerful god. Is it any surprise some do not choose to beleive, seeing as no matter the tortuous attempts to explain things away that apologists like yourself try to explain it away (and beleive me I've tried that before), it simply isn't true? [Or at least, if it is true, it seems hard to see how...]"

• Like 1

"Whilst it is true that whatever is described in the Bible is not like the sort of slavery practised in the American South (and probably other colonies) and possibly even contemporary cultures, and whilst it is true that some "slaves" were more like indentured servants, it's a bit much to say that everything mentioned is not slavery. (For example, I realise that male servants would be freed after seven years, but I understand that did not apply to female servants, possibly IIRC including the wives of male sevants if they married within he household.)

Secondly, you claim that if one is an atheist then one has no basis for morality at all. This is a tenuous argument. For one thing we are social beings who depend upon one another for survival. So to harm our fellow human beings, especially in our own families, communities, tribes etc. or to promote conflict within the group at least, would be much the same as harming ourselves. So, there is nothing to suggest we could not have evolved a sense of right or wrong (contrary to your assertions evolution is not 100% random, but shaped by the processes that permit some to survive and others not to) and also have conceived laws and customs to prevent that. Secondly, we as intelligent beings are able to make our own minds up, and hence conceive our own basis for morality. It is of course true that there is no absolute basis outside of ourselves for morality short of some omnipotent creator god, but that is not the same as no basis whatsoever.

You also start the video with very tenuous assumptions about the existence of such a god. for you, we non-beleivers are simply looking for excuses not to follow our maker. Well, I realise that if it were true, then one dare have no such excuse but if one wants to beleive the bible, one must accept a great many things and live according to a standard that is next to impossible unless that god definitely exists to help us acheive it. I have tried to beleive before, but I think when the evidence is taken into consideration, the Bible looks a lot like nothing more more like the progressively rehashed myths of Bronze and Iron Age agrarians and pastoralists that contradict each other at every turn, and not like the inspired work of an all powerful god. Is it any surprise some do not choose to beleive, seeing as no matter the tortuous attempts to explain things away that apologists like yourself try to explain it away (and beleive me I've tried that before), it simply isn't true? [Or at least, if it is true, it seems hard to see how...]"

Did he respond?

Did he respond?

He hasn't yet. I would love to see what he said if he did....

Did he respond?

He hasn't yet. I would love to see what he said if he did....

You know, he's actually a type of Christian who doesn't believe in free will. In fact, I've asked him several times why he even bothers about what Atheists are doing if he believes that they can only do what his God predestined them to do.