Goodbye Jesus

Basically every response I’ve had if I’ve had questions

Questioningone

"There's no such thing as an ex-Christian. You were just an atheist who went to church and sang hymns and read the Bible and prayed. How can you stop being a Christian after reading the Bible and learning about how Jesus died for your sins. TRUE faith doesn't just UP and LEAVE you. God didn't answer your prayers? It's because you prayed wrong. Learn how to pray correctly and try it again.  It doesn't matter that you can't make it to church because your car broke down. You can WALK ten miles every Sunday morning. It doesn't matter that you can't attend church two blocks away because it's old and the mildew gives you breathing problems. I have breathing problems and I still go to that old church, because I love Jesus. Yeah it makes me cough like crazy but I don't care because the only thing that matters is Jesus. It doesn't matter that going to church makes you anxious or if the sermon is depressing. I don't care that you found scientific evidence that we evolved from other hominids and weren't humans to start with. I don't care If another religion better suits your lifestyle and makes you feel mentally and physically good. If you focused more on Jesus and less on yourself, you would still be a Christian. If you're an ex Christian I hate you."

someone wrote this and it is so familiar to me ... had several of these told to me... always guilt tripping me when things weren’t adding up to me, unanswered prayers constantly or other stuff which was confusing me 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

And there is one simple response that can rattle them:  If I did everything you do and was still not a Christian, how do you know you aren’t also fooling yourself?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"The weak revenge,

The strong forgive,

The intelligent ignore."

— Albert Einstein

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Questioningone said:

If you're an ex Christian I hate you."

I'd ask them if hatred is Christian. And I'd ignore the rest of it. It helps if you realize this is their self defence mechanism acting up - the last thing they're going to willingly do is admit that someone else can be what they label a 'true' Christian, and then become an ex-Christian. It makes them feel too vulnerable.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Questioningone said:

"There's no such thing as an ex-Christian. You were just an atheist who went to church and sang hymns and read the Bible and prayed.

Jesus lets atheists into his church? To do all the stuff that a 'believer' does? Is God an idiot? Are you (the Christian) an idiot? lol Why would an atheist want to go to church? You're in denial, Christian person.

How can you stop being a Christian after reading the Bible and learning about how Jesus died for your sins. TRUE faith doesn't just UP and LEAVE you.

It didnt just up and leave. It took a while. And it happens a lot. Refer to pastors that have left the faith. Does a human not have free will to choose Jesus or not choose Jesus? If we do have free will then YES, faith can disappear. If we don't have free will then my lack of faith is not my doing.

God didn't answer your prayers? It's because you prayed wrong.

How can you pray wrong? lol That's an idiotic statement.

It doesn't matter that you can't make it to church because your car broke down. You can WALK ten miles every Sunday morning.

Let's you and I walk 3 hours to church. If you want me there and you love Jesus, you'll do it with me

It doesn't matter that you can't attend church two blocks away because it's old and the mildew gives you breathing problems. I have breathing problems and I still go to that old church, because I love Jesus. Yeah it makes me cough like crazy but I don't care because the only thing that matters is Jesus.

So Jesus makes you do stupid stuff? I dont believe a real supreme being would send me to a dangerous building. Is Jesus dumber than a municipal building inspector?

It doesn't matter that going to church makes you anxious or if the sermon is depressing.

Cue: Jesus is love. lol He loves you , therefore he wants to give you anxiety and depression. Once again, why would a truly 'supreme' being do that?

I don't care that you found scientific evidence that we evolved from other hominids and weren't humans to start with.

I dont care about your religion either.

I don't care If another religion better suits your lifestyle and makes you feel mentally and physically good.

If Jesus were real I suppose he could make me feel better than some other religion. Yet he doesnt. Why is that? I thought Jesus was love.

If you focused more on Jesus and less on yourself, you would still be a Christian. If you're an ex Christian I hate you."

Love your enemies. lol Manipulation, is that what Jesus teaches?

someone wrote this and it is so familiar to me ... had several of these told to me... always guilt tripping me when things weren’t adding up to me, unanswered prayers constantly or other stuff which was confusing me 

One response might be to avoid these people. Another response might be "fuck off". But I have a free moment so will insert my own nicer (well maybe not nicer) responses into each point in your post.

A question might be "Why are YOU so upset that I don't believe in Jesus? Are you afraid that disbelief might be contagious?"

This was a joke post. The bottom part about hating especially. But it is the gist of what Christians have said to me (without the hate bit) 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, Questioningone said:

"There's no such thing as an ex-Christian. You were just an atheist who went to church and sang hymns and read the Bible and prayed. How can you stop being a Christian after reading the Bible and learning about how Jesus died for your sins. TRUE faith doesn't just UP and LEAVE you. God didn't answer your prayers? It's because you prayed wrong. Learn how to pray correctly and try it again.  It doesn't matter that you can't make it to church because your car broke down. You can WALK ten miles every Sunday morning. It doesn't matter that you can't attend church two blocks away because it's old and the mildew gives you breathing problems. I have breathing problems and I still go to that old church, because I love Jesus. Yeah it makes me cough like crazy but I don't care because the only thing that matters is Jesus. It doesn't matter that going to church makes you anxious or if the sermon is depressing. I don't care that you found scientific evidence that we evolved from other hominids and weren't humans to start with. I don't care If another religion better suits your lifestyle and makes you feel mentally and physically good. If you focused more on Jesus and less on yourself, you would still be a Christian. If you're an ex Christian I hate you."

The correct response, no matter who writes such things, is "You know, I never noticed how attractive you were before this."

mwc

• Haha 1

Typical christian ignorance...I have had similar crap said to me.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, midniterider said:

God didn't answer your prayers? It's because you prayed wrong.

How can you pray wrong? lol That's an idiotic statement.

I was told recently that I don't speak Gods language. I don't know how to connect to him, his way. 

I was told to identify which God I am speaking to, "The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob". And then make sure he knows who I am "This is (my name) in (Place I Live) Daughter of (then state both my parents names).

They said that when you call people on the phone you identify yourself to the person on the other end...you don't just start talking, asking for things etc..

Also, when you call your momma, if she doesn't answer you don't give up and stop calling. If you get a busy signal you keep calling back and do so until she does answer. She might be busy when you call so you keep calling back until she can get to the phone.

Interesting perspective.

Edited to add busy signal statement I forgot to put in. BUT adding this does not in any at diminish Midniteriders comment below. I am just not very good at entering comments online. Sorry

2 hours ago, NeverHealed52Years said:

I was told recently that I don't speak Gods language. I don't know how to connect to him, his way. 

I was told to identify which God I am speaking to, "The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob". And then make sure he knows who I am "This is (my name) in (Place I Live) Daughter of (then state both my parents names).

They said that when you call people on the phone you identify yourself to the person on the other end...you don't just start talking, asking for things etc..

Also, when you call your momma, if she doesn't answer you don't give up and stop calling. You call back later and do so until she does answer. She might be busy when you call so you keep calling back until she can get to the phone.

Interesting perspective.

You don't speak God's language? The language of 'imagining that he is answering you' ?

What language does this other person speak? Is it something other than English? Does he/she think in some other language? Or more realistically , is this person full of baloney? :)

Maybe hold up your driver's license, a birth certificate and a credit card to the sky when addressing him? :)

Strange that you would have to identify yourself to God, the all knowing.

How many Gods are there that you would address? Do these Christian people believe that there are ...gasp....other gods? Do they specify which god when they are praying? I bet not.

If momma doesnt answer I send the cops to check on her after a while. Also if something is time sensitive, after a while the 'need' will expire so why keep calling? Momma can be busy because she's a human being. An all powerful God can multi-task. In fact God can infinite-task...or is God just a human?

These responses from Christians seem to indicate that they feel their God is somewhat limited. He cant understand your language? Really? He doesnt know who you are? He doesn't know when he is being addressed? He can't multitask?

If he has all these human failings why are we calling on him at all? At least if you ask a person for help you'll get a response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That's a truly astounding piece of vitriol. It actually made me almost laugh out loud when I read it.

• Super Moderator

Don't speak god's language???  Isn't that god's own fault for confusing the languages at the Tower of Babel?  Now he's going to not answer your prayers based on the fact that he made it impossible for himself to understand what you're saying?  Pure bovine excrement.  

Did someone actually write that?  If so, I don't think it is worth responding to except perhaps to just say "Grow up!"

I am still in the closet so I haven’t felt the brunt of this yet. The joys to look forward to.