Goodbye Jesus

Alcoholics Anonymous?

HappySlap

Just like the topic says...looking for opinions/observations/experiences with it?

About six years ago when I was still living at home my parents wanted me to go to a Christian themed conference. Since they were helping me out between jobs I obliged them. I got slightly lit before going, but ended up at the wrong church and sat through fifteen minutes of an AA meeting before realizing where I was. They probably thought I had really fallen off the wagon as I smelled strongly of beer and left early.

My impression, it seems to help a lot of people but I'm not so sure about the whole "Higher Power" aspect. There seemed to be many religious themes, as well. 

• Super Moderator

Maybe this will help answer a few questions .......?

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/55633-12-step-program-cult-religion-or-program/?hl=cult

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:

PS - I didn't re-read the thread and don't recall if Save Our Selves (a secular program) was mentioned in it, but here's Wiki's entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Organizations_for_Sobriety

It seems a lot like a church or a cult. I've had friends get involved in it. They spent all of their time with AA people, and they stayed sober.

I do believe there's an atheist/agnostic version of AA.

I really don't wanna repeat myself, so I'll just point you to the thread linked above for my personal experience and opinion of it.  It helps some people, it doesn't others.   Depends on who you are and what you are looking for in the group.   Statistics show it is no better than any other method of treatment to help people get sober.   It is truly an individual thing.  Addiction is a genetic as well as a psychological issue, so it should be no surprise that relapse rates remain pretty consistent regardless of treatment method.   

• 2 weeks later...

I was in AA for about 4 years. It isn't a Christian program. There is an entire chapter of the Big Book dedicated to agnostics, and if you go to enough meetings, you're likely to meet people who are all over the spiritual spectrum.

I have no problem with AA since it is free and they do help many addicts/alcoholics who have nowhere else to go. I mean, if meetings can help a homeless crack addict to get his life back, then who am I to criticize? That said, not everything they preach really applied to me... maybe because I never really hit my bottom.

The main themes of being around like-minded people and staying busy are valid, along with some sound advice from old timers.

The down side is that it is not-so-covertly religious, at least around here.

The down side is that it is not-so-covertly religious, at least around here.

That's exactly what I've heard from many people. One of the steps has to do with accepting god....

There are freethinker meetings in my area where people who do not have a supernatural higher power gather. :)   If you have them in your area, you might find them useful.    Look at your local directory.   Meeting names give a clue to the nature of the group.