Goodbye Jesus

What Kind Of Church Did You Leave?

GuyGone

I grew up in a 2 leaning towards a 1 in some aspects.  After I got married I went to my wife's church which was a 3, and still attended my home church some as her church didn't have evening services or Wednesday night bible study which mine did. I was still a believer at that time.  Her church has a new preacher so it is now leaning more towards a 2, which in my current state of non belief is annoying.  I was kind of enjoying the 3 which was a breath of fresh air compared to my home church.

Like Geezer and Schnoogle, my experience is Church of Christ. Mine, in particular, was/is the "non-institutional" bunch. I would put my experience in between theirs, and not really fitting the OP's 1-5 categories. The congregations I've been a member of are a 1.5. The Genesis is literal. You can't divorce unless your spouse cheats on you. Now, that may sound abusive to some, but the effect is that people who divorce for other reasons end up being called or visited for discussions by the elders, and end up going to either another denomination or to a more liberally-minded Church of Christ. (I refuse to put a lower case "C" on "Church" -- you CofC people know what I'm talking about.)

So in that one situation, it may come off as abusive, and they definitely discourage divorce, but they don't follow up so much once a person is gone.

And though I know it isn't always true, the Elders I've known really seem to care about people. In fact, the church I'm going to now (yes, I'm in the closet), one of the Elders has been attending some training where they actually acknowledge that the problems people deal with, addiction, depression, and other things, are physical problems. They really want to help people.

But if you want to place membership there, you'd better have a good answer about your marriage situation. If you've been divorced for some reason besides your spouse's cheating, you will be able to attend but you won't be placed on the roll. And they're Young Earth Creationists.