Goodbye Jesus

Nasa To Host Major Press Conference On 'discovery Beyond Our Solar System'

Fweethawt

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-announcement-press-conference-today-solar-system-exoplanet-sun-planets-news-latest-a7590281.html

Nasa is to host a major press conference on a "discovery beyond our solar system".

The event will see the revelation of major information about exoplanets, or planets that orbit stars other than our sun, according to a release. It made no further mention of the details of what would be revealed.

I'm not sure if I can believe that NASA can find anything beyond our solar system if they can't even find Russell's Teapot here at home.

• Like 1

Blast it Fwee - I just read this article on MSN independent of seeing it here and thought of posting it - come here and you beat me. -1 tongue.png

I'm going to post anyway so nah! You can't steal my thunder.... and the title on my one is much more click baity :D

NASA Has Made A Huge Discovery About Planets Outside Our Solar System

I bet they've telescoped Jesus making his way back to earth, with the New Jerusalem in tow...

Trappist-1---p01-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p02-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p03-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p04-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p05-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p06-english.jpg

Trappist-1---p07-english.jpg

http://www.trappist.one/#lepithec

Explains it better than I ever could.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 5

That was one heck of an education!

Thanks for Posting BAA! Now that is a great way of educating the public. Far more interesting than News articles and science papers!

Incidentally my Christian friend has publically stated that they will never find life outside of earth.... gonna be interesting if they find life.... and if they figure out abiogenesis! (It will breed a new ground of apologetics!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

That was one heck of an education!

Thanks for Posting BAA! Now that is a great way of educating the public. Far more interesting than News articles and science papers!

Incidentally my Christian friend has publically stated that they will never find life outside of earth.... gonna be interesting if they find life.... and if they figure out abiogenesis! (It will breed a new ground of apologetics!)

I can't wait. It'll be hilarious seeing what hoops these fucking apologists try jumping through when that day comes...

Yup,  This is a big one.  This discovery will be bantered about for a long time, for decades, centuries, if not for millennia  I suspect. Now that they know that smaller stars have a better chance of finding planets like ours I suspect that a number or other relatively close somewhat similar discoveries will be forthcoming in the coming few years. All good news :)

18 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I can't wait. It'll be hilarious seeing what hoops these fucking apologists try jumping through when that day comes...

Only those Christians (the theistic evolutionists) who try to reconcile science with Christianity, will bother to do any hoop-jumping.

The die-hard Bible literalists, YEC's and Fundy's will simply trot out their usual misunderstandings, misinformation and denials, whatever is discovered out there.

How do I know this?

Ironhorse's one word answer the question below.

• Like 1

#KenHamStyle!

I asked my father the same thing, same answer.

Nothing? Life discovered on another planet? Abiogenesis discovered? Nothing?

18 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

#KenHamStyle!

I asked my father the same thing, same answer.

Nothing? Life discovered on another planet? Abiogenesis discovered? Nothing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope!  Nothing.  Since abiogenesis didn't happen here, it won't be happening anywhere else.  Ditto with evolution.

Never mind what these telescopes and satellites will discover. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transiting_Exoplanet_Survey_Satellite

TESS's survey will focus on nearby G, K and M type stars with apparent magnitudes brighter than magnitude 12. Approximately 500,000 stars will be studied, including the 1,000 closest red dwarfs, across an area of sky 400 times larger than covered by the Kepler mission. TESS is expected to discover more than 3,000 transiting exoplanet candidates, including those which are Earth sized or larger. Of those discoveries, an estimated twenty could be super-Earths located in the habitable zone around a star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Field_Infrared_Survey_Telescope

Complete a census of exoplanets to help answer new questions about the potential for life in the universe: How common are solar systems like our own? What kinds of planets exist in the cold, outer regions of planetary systems? – What determines the habitability of Earth-like worlds? This census makes use of a technique that can find exoplanets down to a mass only a few times that of the Moon:

http://sci.esa.int/gaia/

For stars within a distance of approximately 150 light-years from the Sun, Gaia is expected to find every Jupiter-sized planet with an orbital period of 1.5–9 years. It will do this by watching out for tiny wobbles in the star's position. This behavior is caused when a star is tugged by the gravitational pull of a planet in orbit around it. In our own Solar System Jupiter, and to a lesser extent all the other planets, do this to the Sun, making it wobble. Estimates suggest that Gaia will detect between 10 000 and 50 000 planets beyond our Solar System.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Extremely_Large_Telescope

The E-ELT will search for extrasolar planets — planets orbiting other stars. This will include not only the discovery of planets down to Earth-like masses through indirect measurements of the wobbling motion of stars perturbed by the planets that orbit them, but also the direct imaging of larger planets and possibly even the characterization of their atmospheres. The telescope will attempt to image Earthlike exoplanets, which may be possible.