Goodbye Jesus

Who Else Has An Intense Desire To Beat The Holy Shit

AKR

out of people that try to explain why god never "revealed" himself to you. Some idiot told someone this:

Dude God promises to reveal himself to those love him and obey him..I can tell you by first hand experience that God is real...And in order for you to ever find out you must humble yourself and repent of your sins and rebellion toward God and place your faith in Jesus Christ...If you take a step toward God in faith he will meet you there (for God is a rewarder of those that diligiantly seek him)...You dont have to go through life wondering if there is a God or not you can know if you will obey the gospel...(www.christiananswers.net)

I told him I tried that for many years and it didn't work. His response.

If you would do it right God will reveal himself..But you have to humble yourself his face is set against the wicked, and he resist the proud..People like you are the type of people who would only believe in God if he worked on your terms, but it doesent work that way...Like I say to all atheist your unbelief doesn't make a difference God will hold you accountable regardless if you believe in him or not...Salvation is offered to all that will recieve it.

I'm not a violent person, but I would consider putting someone in a choke hold if they told me that in person. I told him the bible says he's not supposed to judge what is or was in a person's heart, and that I hate people like him who, to make it easier to continue to believe, dismiss the genuine attempts of those who fail to find god. And then, I told him he doesn't know where I come from so he should "shut the fuck up." People like this make me sick.

• Super Moderator

It still amazes me how some Christians claim to know my mind and motives.

Did they see me on my face begging God? Did they hear my sincere pleadings?

The mindset of course is always that God is perfect and if anything goes wrong, it must therefore be our fault.

Fuck 'em.

Disgusting. A person has to be low enough, humble enough, beat down enough with a proper sense of how sinful they are to get this special, personal experience of almighty God.

Guest Clueless
out of people that try to explain why god never "revealed" himself to you. Some idiot told someone this:

Dude God promises to reveal himself to those love him and obey him..I can tell you by first hand experience that God is real...And in order for you to ever find out you must humble yourself and repent of your sins and rebellion toward God and place your faith in Jesus Christ...If you take a step toward God in faith he will meet you there (for God is a rewarder of those that diligiantly seek him)...You dont have to go through life wondering if there is a God or not you can know if you will obey the gospel...(www.christiananswers.net)

If you would do it right God will reveal himself..But you have to humble yourself his face is set against the wicked, and he resist the proud..People like you are the type of people who would only believe in God if he worked on your terms, but it doesent work that way...Like I say to all atheist your unbelief doesn't make a difference God will hold you accountable regardless if you believe in him or not...Salvation is offered to all that will recieve it.

I'm not a violent person, but I would consider putting someone in a choke hold if they told me that in person. I told him the bible says he's not supposed to judge what is or was in a person's heart, and that I hate people like him who, to make it easier to continue to believe, dismiss the genuine attempts of those who fail to find god. And then, I told him he doesn't know where I come from so he should "shut the fuck up." People like this make me sick.

I agree. Its such a mind job. Its a whole good cop, bad cop thing. God the bad cop cant even stand to be around you, his supposed creation. You have to grovel in self loathing and fear of eternal punishment. Then Jesus (still god) the good cop comes in and tells you he wants to be your best bud. He´ll walk with you, and talk with you la, la, la. What a mind job. I always hear about a "relationship with Jesus". I went through all the motions and even convinced myself that I had such a grand and glorious relationship. One day you just get honest and say, who am I kidding?

Self-esteem: you're doing it wrong.

I don't get the feeling to beat them up over trivial matters of dogma. I just let them believe what they want, and set my boundaries in a respectful manner. no sense getting dragged down to their level.

Sheesh! What a lousy "witnessing" job! I seriously doubt that individual has been real productive at getting people to "fork over the goods," as it were.

Or, well, I'd like to doubt it. There are enough people with absolutely no sense of self-esteem that I'm sure s/he has made plenty of "eager converts."

Pointing out "what's wrong" with someone who does not believe is totally smurfed up. It's emotional abuse. How can they expect people to follow the religion faithfully when they're abused into it or kept in it by abuse?? No wonder so many of them find themselves continually backsliding.

I can see a little bit of their logic. Having a relationship with anyone-- leaving celestial entities that must be taken on faith out of the equation entirely-- requires that you keep your pride on a leash, that you scrutinize your own actions, that you admit your wrongs and learn from your mistakes. (I've thought a lot about this; developing healthy social relationships was and is a major cognitive exercise for me.)

It's OK. They don't know how to take it when I talk about getting the results they talk about without doing it their way-- or about the fact that, to get the results they talk about, I had to stop trying to do it their way.

Usually their reaction is very similar to the one you got. Or they tell me I'm sadly deluded.

As if they've gone from worshipping God, to thinking they know the mind of God, to almost thinking they are God.

*sigh*

It's true, though, that getting angry at them just gives them power over you. I wish I were better at deprogramming-- I find that I have this strange urge to evangelize that very type of Christian, try to share the good news with them y'know. *lol*

I find that feeling sorry for them instead does wonders for my blood pressure.

Ok.. so what I'm getting here is the only way to "know god" is to have no sense of self, no esteem, no pride or be far to young to know better (the old only a child gets into heaven thing) or completely ignore everything you've ever learned about science and critical thinking. I don't think so. I'd rather be my own self assured, self aware, somewhat cynical person and not deal with the great lie at all.

You'll only know if you are doing it right when you are doing it right. Ahhh...that makes perfect sense. ;)

AKR,

All that you got in response to your OP is a bunch of gibberish...a lot of talkishness, but no substance. It's like getting a lot of fiber in your diet, but nothing that can sustain your life. All it will do is make you shit.

First we have to establish that there is a real god in the first place. Then we have to establish that "Jesus-Christ" existed, and that he was, in fact, the "scion" of this "real" god. Finally, we have to establish that there is merit in these "promises" that the Christian religion has set up over, lo, these many years.

There is much that has to be dealt with here, before any conclusions can be drawn...

There is no place for gut-emotional reactions here...what is important is not emotions, but reason.

Reading stuff like this should just make you realize how much more evolved you are than these idiots. This is so completely void of even basic intelligence it makes me wonder how people like this even function.

I guess I don't have much more to add really...the only thing I can say is that I understand completely where you are coming from as well. One of the things that bothers me is the fact that people tell me that I must not have done it right or I must have never "known him" or else I would still be there. How can they say that they know my heart and they know what I did. I spent these years giving my ALL to the invisible man...it wasn't a what's in it for me all, either...it was complete adoration for someone who never did a thing for me. Sounds like I gave god more grace (unmerited favor of course) than he ever gave me :-)

Still, I agree with Mike and the many others that said the same thing. It just helps you realize how far you have come from that. I know, I was on the other side saying the same things.

All that you got in response to your OP is a bunch of gibberish...a lot of talkishness, but no substance. It's like getting a lot of fiber in your diet, but nothing that can sustain your life. All it will do is make you shit.

That's the case with all morontheist babble.

Normal folks, in a discussion or debate, try to get their point across clearly. For that it is usually a good idea to keep it short and simple.

Morontheists talk (or type) endless volumes of crap... to hide the fact that they have no point to get across. All form, in the hopes that no one notices there is no function inside.

Same with reacting to the opposition's claims in a debate. Normal people, when their claims get criticized, check whether the criticism is valid. If so, they either refine their claims, or (if they can't do that) admit defeat.

Morontheists, whenever their crap is debunked (read: everytime), refine... the way they say the debunked crap, in hopes that The Other Side is so batshit stupid that it won't realize it's still the same old crap.

'nuff said.

Akr, if I was going to answer this guy....

(Does best Anton Chigure voice from No Country For Old Men...) You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

The guy's whole argument is so badly constructed it'd embarrass Jack T.Chick, and his lack of grammar skills doesn't help his case any.

As for wanting to to hit the guy, I'd be tempted to give him the Japanese style form of punishment given to dumb or naughty children-a mild tap on the head with a middle finger knuckle.

...Like I say to all atheist your unbelief doesn't make a difference God will hold you accountable regardless if you believe in him or not...Salvation is offered to all that will recieve it.

Like I say to all you christians, your belief doesn't make a difference - when you die, you'll still go into a box like everyone else!

One would think 'Christian answers' would be one page of HTML along the line of

"What ever the question, the anser is GOd did it wnay you'renot worthy to live in it"

I blame Augustine

Guest maryr_32

It just drives me INSANE when Christians say things like "It was God's will", "It's an answer to prayer", "I prayed about that, so that's why it worked out." and all things similar. My mother constantly says these things about things such as tornadoes, earthquakes, my brother's cancer that's in remission, etc..... It completely discounts all human ingenuity and all natural phenomenon - and it pisses me off!

I thought of all that from reading this thread - and the whole - God will reveal himself to you- you aren't doing it right. I guess they have to justify the world through the lens of theism, but it's really annoying. I remember praying, repenting over and over again, asking god to save me, to make me not a lesbian (much to the irritation of my girlfriend :) ) Well, I'm still a lesbian, still don't see all these 'answered prayers' and God revealing himself to me no matter how sincere I was or how fundamentalst my beliefs!!!! I was totally a self hating lesbian who thought it was just my 'cross to bear' for several years.

The only way god "reveals himself" is through people thinking all coincidences are a direct result of divine intervention. Of course god will "reveal himself" to those looking for a pattern like that. Doesn't prove it's anything but coincidence. That's one of the things about the Christian mindset that annoys the living daylights out of me. Coincidences are just coincidences, not you having divine intervention by god to make your life better than anyone else's.

Dude God promises to reveal himself to those love him and obey him

How can you obey someone who refuses to communicate with you first? What are my orders? This is just plain stupid!

I agree. Its such a mind job. Its a whole good cop, bad cop thing. God the bad cop cant even stand to be around you, his supposed creation. You have to grovel in self loathing and fear of eternal punishment. Then Jesus (still god) the good cop comes in and tells you he wants to be your best bud. He´ll walk with you, and talk with you la, la, la. What a mind job. I always hear about a "relationship with Jesus". I went through all the motions and even convinced myself that I had such a grand and glorious relationship. One day you just get honest and say, who am I kidding?

I never thought about the good cop/bad cop thing, but that's pretty good. You're basically supposed to be scared of his one personality while clinging to the other

It just drives me INSANE when Christians say things like "It was God's will", "It's an answer to prayer", "I prayed about that, so that's why it worked out." and all things similar. My mother constantly says these things about things such as tornadoes, earthquakes, my brother's cancer that's in remission, etc..... It completely discounts all human ingenuity and all natural phenomenon - and it pisses me off!

I thought of all that from reading this thread - and the whole - God will reveal himself to you- you aren't doing it right. I guess they have to justify the world through the lens of theism, but it's really annoying. I remember praying, repenting over and over again, asking god to save me, to make me not a lesbian (much to the irritation of my girlfriend :) ) Well, I'm still a lesbian, still don't see all these 'answered prayers' and God revealing himself to me no matter how sincere I was or how fundamentalst my beliefs!!!! I was totally a self hating lesbian who thought it was just my 'cross to bear' for several years.

And if you told a christian that, they would probably say "you stopped trying. god will answer you eventually if you keep praying," or "you don't really want to stop being a lesbian." You could spend your entire life praying in tears in from of these christians, and the bastards would still blame you for stopping on your death bed. There's still a moment in time for god to swoop in and make things right in "his" time. It's like telling someone there's a big foot that wanders through their field sometime, and they tell you to go check it out. Well, you camp out for a few days a month for a year. You start out really excited to see it, but it doesn't show up, so you eventually stop going, because it's a waste of time. Then, they want you to spend the rest of your life out there, never leaving, because the moment you leave is an opportunity that it could have walked by, and it's all your fault for not devoting your entire life to something that you see no proof of. And then they tell you that you never really wanted to see it in the first place.

Guest eejay
One day you just get honest and say, who am I kidding?

That is one of the truest statements I've ever heard.

I never thought of it like that! It really is just like the good cop, bad cop routine. As for the "relationship with Jesus" hoo-hah, hell, I have a better relationship with my dog.

Have you noticed that you praise your dog (generally tell 'him' that 'he's' a good boy etc...)? We hand out more grace to our animals than a 'God' does to us :) Nor do we spend our time looking for where the animal does something we don't like, yet the God of the bible seems to love watching us make mistakes...

Have you noticed that you praise your dog (generally tell 'him' that 'he's' a good boy etc...)? We hand out more grace to our animals than a 'God' does to us :) Nor do we spend our time looking for where the animal does something we don't like, yet the God of the bible seems to love watching us make mistakes...

(In my best talking to a small child/dog voice.)

Who's a good boy! Come on! Who's a good boy! You are, GH! ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Point is... we don't keep a dog (and even less a cat) to tell us we're awesome...