Goodbye Jesus

Christianity: The Rational Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste.

EdwardAbbey

Why waste a lifetime on following a superstitious belief system that offers nothing more than false hopes and promises?

Come up to the world of reason and common sense and set your mind free.

Become an atheist.

And now a word from our alternate sponsors.

:crucified:

Okay, here's an alternate sponsor:

Actually, believe or disbelieve whatever you want, but if you want to convince others, prepare to present evidence or get lost. ;)

Actually, believe or disbelieve whatever you want, but if you want to convince others, prepare to present evidence or get lost. ;)

Evidence for what?

:jesus::jesus: :jesus: :jesus:

If you're certain that atheism is the only rational perspective, then you must be able to disprove all others by reductio ad absurdum. Can you?

Evidence for what?

That obviously depends on what you want to prove ;)

If you're certain that atheism is the only rational perspective, then you must be able to disprove all others by reductio ad absurdum. Can you?

Actually, it's the other way around. You have to prove to an atheist anything before he or she should be compelled to believe it. Innotcent until proven guilty, Non-existant until proven otherwise.

Actually, it's the other way around. You have to prove to an atheist anything before he or she should be compelled to believe it. Innotcent until proven guilty, Non-existant until proven otherwise.

Exactly. Everything else in this world is like that. People want proof that things are there before they believe in them. However, when it comes to religion, it is all of a sudden backward. This is ridiculous. As I said in another post, it would only take one event or piece of evidence to prove the existance of a god, but it would be nearly impossible to take on every single supposed event or piece of evidence for the existance of god to disprove it. It is more simple to just not believe until there is proof to do so, as nearly everyone else does with everything else in their lives.

Atheism is by far more rational than Christianity any day. The god it asserts/represents is beyond absurd. It is based on pure stupidity.

Just by the description of such a God it can easily be defined out of existence. you don't even have to be a theologian to figure that out.

Next question.

Evidence for what?

That obviously depends on what you want to prove ;)

Not trying to prove a fuckin thing. It's not my burden to disprove such a rediculous thing as a God anyway. But just about all the Gods of any revealed religion can be quite easily disproved just by their impossible definitions and characteristics as I have just pointed out in my last post.

In other words, all the gods are fakes and myths. So far as I have been able to observe with my rational mind. As for Yahweh, he's a total asshole by the way.

:fdevil:

Guest Mr. XC

But just about all the Gods of any revealed religion can be quite easily disproved just by their impossible definitions and characteristics as I have just pointed out in my last post.

In other words, all the gods are fakes and myths.

Great! So you just stated that you ruled out all religions that describe a God as an entity with human like features, such as emotions of jealously, for instance. I agree that is rational.

But that still leaves religions that view God as a universal energy and stuff. Your post does not seem to touch on that. Of course, I agree with the idea that religion should be proven before agreed with. The issue is that religion of the non-personal God type tends to be more proven by personal experience then with stuff that can be repeated on demand with another person as an observer. Which is why it is impossible to disprove. So saying to others that all religions are wrong is a bit like saying that two atoms that are spatially separated by a large distance cannot interact. Commonsense would say you are right. And you would have been right, 50 years ago. But quantum entanglement is just another example of how commonsense can be incorrect and that old ideas thought to be true become false. So, I would leave room for the idea of God (the non personal type), but not push it on anyone else without really good data. I guess I am in favor of being an agnostic rather than an atheist.

Not trying to prove a fuckin thing. It's not my burden to disprove such a rediculous thing as a God anyway...

...As for Yahweh, he's a total asshole by the way.

:fdevil:

True :pureevil:

Umm... MrXC... methinks you got something wrong there. The words you quoted came from EdwardAbbey. Just to make sure you realize ;)

Guest Mr. XC

Umm... MrXC... methinks you got something wrong there. The words you quoted came from EdwardAbbey. Just to make sure you realize ;)

I see that now. I must have deleted the wrong quote tag. Sorry about that. :Doh:

I don't think that this claim has been made in this thread.

I'm curious as to why that you would only allow reductio ad absurdum as a disproof. If the violation of logic in this fashion disproves other perspectives. Why wouldn't any logical fallacy show other perspectives to be irrational, or at least less rational than atheism?

Why waste a lifetime on following a superstitious belief system that offers nothing more than false hopes and promises?

Come up to the world of reason and common sense and set your mind free.

Become an atheist.

And now a word from our alternate sponsors.

:crucified:

It is illogical to assume that reason is the ideal state of human thinking. Logical reasoning is only a small part of what the mind does, and there is no good evidence that it is even the primary thing that the mind does. If you are a person that can and does make all decisions based on reason alone, the you are an anomoly on the order of a guy that will chew only with one tooth. It is not something that the average person will aspire too.