Goodbye Jesus

Stupid Fundie Customer.

-Demona-

Earlier, when I was at work, a customer came in and I rung her up, after she grabbed a few things. She noticed the pendant I wear around my neck, which looks something like the one on the bottom right of this photo:

amulet008.jpg

She looked at me and asked me what it was. Thinking that she was going to compliment me on its beauty, because I had gotten such comments many times before, I said it was a Pagan symbol.

She asked me, in a rather strident tone, why would I wear such a thing. I only told her that "it's symbolic of what I believe". Strongly implying, in other words, that I'm a Pagan.

She gasped. "You mean you don't believe in GOD?"

I remained silent, with a tolerant smile on my face. What I felt, however, was anger at being singled out by such an ignorant buffoon. It hadn't happened before at work. Why should it happen now?

Then she turned to one of the other cashiers, whom she knew, Denise, and said: "Denise, you've gotta talk to this girl!"

I tried my best not to look how I felt -- insulted.

When she left, I remarked dryly to Denise: "Tell me she was joking."

Denise, in a small voice: "No, she wasn't."

Mike, the fundie assistant manager, who was standing there the whole time, finally said something to me to the effect of "Some of us [Christians] take our beliefs seriously. I feel the same way she does. But at least I know when to keep my mouth shut."

I don't announce my beliefs to anybody. And that pendant is the only symbol I wear suggesting that I'm anything other than Christian. It's a small pendant and can be easily hid in my shirt.

I just had my shirt unbuttoned at the top, so it could be seen. Because I think it's pretty. Most other people think it's pretty too. Why should I hide either my pendant or my beliefs anymore? It's not like it's a dirty little secret. And it shouldn't be treated like it is.

The day that Christians get singled out for wearing their crosses is the day they can truly cry persecution. My beliefs don't affect my ability to man a register or develop photos, and my place of employment makes no decisions of hiring based on religious background. So why should it trouble someone who's only going to be in contact with me for a few minutes?

The day that Christians get singled out for wearing their crosses is the day they can truly cry persecution.

Ain't that the truth... :Hmm:

And the irony of it all is, when it finally happens, it will have been the fundies themselves who provoked this treatment to often that it all got a self-fulfilling prophecy... :banghead:

When Christians are minority, they scream persecution.

When Christians are majority, they still scream persecution, and they're the ones doing it.

When Christians are minority, they scream persecution.

When Christians are majority, they still scream persecution, and they're the ones doing it.

Exactly. The persectuion complex permeates everything a hardcore Xian does or thinks, and it is part of what inspires them to be active for their religion. Without the mentality that they are always "under fire" they would not have nearly enough reasons to be assholes.

Eternal Darkness is free to unbutton her shirts and wear all the Pagan pendants she likes :wicked:

Gah, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Why can't crap like that happen anywhere and anytime but at when is most inconvenient for you to stick up for yourself?

And no, your manager doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. If he did, he should have said nothing after that exchange instead of backhanding you again with that stupid remark. But no, like a good little xtian he had to add his two cents just so he wouldnt look like he was tolerating you in Jehovah's eyes, even if he has to put up with you at work. What an ass.

And heeeere's the punch line!

That pendant looks very much like something I saw in the Key of Solomon. In fact, in the picture on the right, the Hebrew letters Aleph and Lamed can clearly be seen.

Translation: "El" -- One of the names of the biblical god. :eek:

And heeeere's the punch line!

That pendant looks very much like something I saw in the Key of Solomon. In fact, in the picture on the right, the Hebrew letters Aleph and Lamed can clearly be seen.

Translation: "El" -- One of the names of the biblical god. :eek:

Bear in mind that Judaism originated in a henotheistic cult glorifying one Pagan Hebrew god over many - and one of those gods was "El" if I recall rightly.

An amulet like that would not be acceptable under OT law, so I don't think it has Judaic connections so much as perhaps Pagan Jewish ones.

Guest Mr. XC

What I felt, however, was anger at being singled out by such an ignorant buffoon. It hadn't happened before at work. Why should it happen now?

Then she turned to one of the other cashiers, whom she knew, Denise, and said: "Denise, you've gotta talk to this girl!"

I tried my best not to look how I felt -- insulted.

So why should it trouble someone who's only going to be in contact with me for a few minutes?

The trouble that you saw is from the same kind of intolerance that gave Hitler his power to cleanse "inferior" races. The next time you see this kind of behavior, remember what it is and be glad that you are not under its spell. It is hard to be insulted by buffoons unless you consider their idiotic ideas on some level. I probably would be bothered by this situation too. At the very least, I would find it awkward and stupid.

I picked the Pentacle of Mercury (that is what it is called) because it is said to give one insight into "unseen things". It's also said to inspire creativity and make one more eloquent. And the geometric shape appeals to me.

Even though it's emblazoned with the generic title for a Mesopotamian god (see Godchecker's entry on El), it's actually attributed to the Greek god of communication.

My version of the talisman is actually smaller and made out of pewter (the one I showed you is over an inch in diameter, whereas mine is about 1/2 to 3/4ths that). Its size prevents the Hebrew lettering from actually being seen as anything more than a nondescript little blob in the center of the 12-pointed pentagram.

I have many other pendants and talismans (over a dozen actually), but the PoM is the one I wear almost everyday.

That IS a gorgeous pendant. It's the beauy in Pagan jewelry that almost makes me want to go out and wear a pentegram again. *sigh* Days long past.

Anyway, what that woman did was WRONG. I would even think borderlining on harassment or public humiliation if you want to get down to it. Personally, I would have called someone, maybe being reminded of her amendment right to "remain silent" would have worked.

• 3 weeks later...
The day that Christians get singled out for wearing their crosses is the day they can truly cry persecution. My beliefs don't affect my ability to man a register or develop photos, and my place of employment makes no decisions of hiring based on religious background. So why should it trouble someone who's only going to be in contact with me for a few minutes?

hmm....perhaps you should move to California. Chrsitians here are pretty much treated like outcasts...

I know how you feel as a pagan and wearing the beutiful pagan jewery. I have a beutiful pentagram with little red stones on each point (um i don't know what they are called someone tell me. rubies i think) I ongly wear it at gatherings and around other pagans. I wore it once in my town but everyone kept curling there nose at me like I forgot to put on deoderant or something it got old so I quit. I work but I wouldn't wear it their i'm sure i'd hear critcism and my fundie boss would bother me or i'd get a thousand questions i'd have to answer.

Hello, EternalDarkness:

I'm a lot older than you, and I don't work, so my story is in no way similar to yours - but I'll share:

A short time ago at a public gathering, an open conversation of several people resulted in a Xian challenging me similarly - "You mean you don't believe in GOD?!" she gasped and choked.

"Which one?" I enquired.

"THERE'S ONLY ONE!" she fairly shouted.

"Oh, no, I definitely don't believe in that one," I said.

LMAO. You FTW.

What that woman did wasn't just wrong. It was illegal. I've worked retail, I know this - I had to take a test on it, too :vent:

She was harrassing you (here, at least, we call that "customer harrasment") That is against the law, and perhaps she should be reminded of that. Just because she's the customer, and not the one "in uniform", doesn't give her the right to harangue you over your choice of religion. If she's a regular, and she pulls that shit again, perhaps it might be wise to calmly and coolly inform her of that, and then go about your job and ignore any other comments she makes.

Might be wise to remind your boss of that, too. Among other things.

ON a lighter note... When I worked 3rd shift at the gas station, I once had a Christian spend half an hour at the counter trying to convert me. He was very polite about it, but evangelizing nonetheless.

It was funny when I told him I was Jewish, and he started stumbling over himself trying NOT to look like an idiot ("Well, I love the Jews! They're God's chosen people! But can you please come be saved through Jesus?")

Note: I'm not really Jewish. It was just funny to tell him that and get the upper hand :lmao:

Mike, the fundie assistant manager, who was standing there the whole time, finally said something to me to the effect of "Some of us [Christians] take our beliefs seriously. I feel the same way she does. But at least I know when to keep my mouth shut."

Something to be wary of and it could be to your advantage is the fact that there are EEOC regs that make it illegal to discriminate over religion. If you explained what happened to your boss he should understand, fundy or not. If he starts giving you shit in the future and really starts making life hell, you can remind him that it is a crime to make it a hostile work enviornment over religion.....I would NEVER take shit from a manager over that especially if what they are doing is illegal. If he would continue, you could sue the company for big bucks on civilrights charges.

EternalDarkness ... you don't have to take that crap from the Assistant Store manager - you know. Burnedout is right - laws in this country do not allow discrimition based on religion.

My husband is a manager in retail - and he would never say something like that to an employee - he wouldn't put up with one of his employees saying anything like that to another employee. It's just not right (and it's not legal).

I do a lot of work on computers. And when I'm in my client's workplaces (working on their computers) I'm treated like a mouse in a corner. I overhear a lot of things and I'm expected to keep things confidential. One time I was in a Human Resource Manager's office. An employee came into the office in tears. She had just been told by a manager that she would never receive a promotion under him, "because you don't have the right values". She isn't Christian - and she is lesbian.

The manager was eventually demoted for that remark (and a lot of other fundy Christian crap he used to pull in the work place). It took several years and a lot of documentation, but he was demoted. He should've lost his job - but that's another story.

The point is .... don't hide your pendant and give into that crap. You've every right to wear any jewlery you want to wear as long as it meets the dress-code (if there is one).

hmm....perhaps you should move to California. Chrsitians here are pretty much treated like outcasts...

Really? Have you seen Riverside lately? We have one of the largest megachurches in the country and I am attempting to get my husband to stop wearing his pentacle because I really get scared that it's going to slip out of his shirt at a bad time. This is a BAAAD place to be non-Christian. S'Berdoo isn't any better, and definitely be careful of Loma Linda or Murrieta/ Temecula.

I feel your pain. I've had xians come up to me at work, tell me that I need to go to church, that jesus is the answer, that the bible is the truth. Ugh. They never even once ask what I believe, not once! It pisses me off, frankly I'm tired of it. From now on I will just tell people the truth, that I'm an atheist. I'm tired of being preached to.

You should not be ashamed to be a pagan, and of your beliefs. If they don't get that some people are not xian, then they need to get their heads out of their asses. Seriously. The customer is not always right babe and you do have a right to stand up for yourself, at work or anywhere else.

For the record, I'm not ashamed of being a Pagan. Nor have I stopped wearing my pendant. I still have the top of my shirt unbuttoned to show the pendant off. And I've gotten more compliments on it since The Incident. And no, nothing I wear (or how I wear it) is in violation of our company dress code.

The real trick about religious persecution in the workplace, I think, is finding a way to say to the offender "I'm not taking that crap, so go suck lemons" without looking like I'm on the defensive and being childish. Or like I'm the one starting shit. That's where I'm most at a loss.

Next time Mike says something like that, I'm gonna go over his head to the store manager, Tom. Tom's the one who hired me, and he's been very understanding when I have complaints (about anything work-related). He's outwardly gruff, but he's generally good people. If Tom were there that day instead of Mike, he would definitely have said something to SFC.

Mike is usually very cool with me, however, so I'm hoping his comment was a once-off.

I haven't seen the SFC since that day either. Hopefully, she won't be showing up again anytime soon while I'm on shift.

Your manager is an asshole. I would report him to corporate or something. His rebuttal was completely uncalled for.

Like a good little Christian drone he had to speak boldly before GAWD so that he won't miss the rapture.

I really wouldn't take that. And if he gives you a hard time in the future then sue his ass...

No one gives any garbage about wearing a Roman torcher device around their necks...Why should you be insulted for wearing yours? I think it is beautiful, by the way.

Really? Have you seen Riverside lately? We have one of the largest megachurches in the country and I am attempting to get my husband to stop wearing his pentacle because I really get scared that it's going to slip out of his shirt at a bad time. This is a BAAAD place to be non-Christian. S'Berdoo isn't any better, and definitely be careful of Loma Linda or Murrieta/ Temecula.

You know what? That's why the Xians around here (Riverside County) feel so empowered, because you hide from them.

Why should you or I hide who and what we are, just because there's a large population of hypocritical Xians who live around here?

I live in the Murrieta/Temecula area (actually, just slightly north, but definitely the same area). I don't hide the fact that I'm a)agnostic, and b)have Pagan beliefs. I have been in many, many arguments with the whackjobs that go to Calvary Chapel and other megachurches, and I always win, because they leave flustered and upset, and I walk away with a smile.

Don't attempt to get your husband to stop wearing his pentacle. The Xians have NO right to try to give you a hard time just because you choose not to believe in their Invisible Sky Daddy.

Oh, you live in Riverside? We live in RSM. At the other end of the 261/241. Cool. I have to add your name to the SOCAL list.

You live in RSM, Han?

Lucky!

So, when it finally starts to cool off around here, maybe in November, are we going to have a SoCal meetup? That would be cool!

That a really awesome looking necklace, E.D. :)

On the heels of Zoe's comment, I'd like to add that Mike (the assistant manager) isn't a complete and total ass like you guys seem to think he is. Yes, that comment was uncalled for (and I didn't really ask his opinion on the matter), and YES he initially proselytized to me the first few days he was transferred to my store.

BUT (and this is a big one here), from day one he's been nothing but helpful with me. He's helped me root for photo stuff in the stockroom that I have trouble lifting, we chat comfortably about different things and are genuinely friendly towards one another, and... (and here's the biggie) he's actually very HAPPY for me that I'm getting a promotion/raise to supervisor of the photo lab. He wanted to break the news to me himself, actually, but he was told by Tom to shut his trap about it (until Tom himself had a chance to talk to me, that is).

I wasn't annoyed because Mike's a Christian, or that he said what he said (obviously, because I only mentioned it in the original OP in passing). No, what annoyed me is that he didn't stand up for me on this occasion (ie. saying something to SFC to the effect that our corporation doesn't discriminate based on religion), and that the SFC in question was entirely insensitive and disrespectful to me when I made no announcement of my beliefs and, up until she made her comment, had never talked religion to customers in the workplace. And that this was all over a piece of fucking jewelry! That's all it is.

I know text doesn't convey tone well, but I've been genuinely surprised so much ire was directed at Mike and not the SFC. Which is why I said, if it becomes a habit with him, then I'll talk to the store manager (that would be Tom, who's also the guy who hired me). But hell, I wouldn't crucify him for it. Not unless he makes my life difficult as a result of being outed on my beliefs. And he hasn't.

Oh, and Dictionary.com defines "persecution" as the following:

1. To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.

2. To annoy persistently; bother.

I believe I was using definition two in my comments, but only half-seriously.

Just so ya know, i wasn't directing my comments at you. Hell if i was in your position i'd rant too, it's just this over the top kindof "Sue his ass." "OMG what that customer did was ILLEGAL" etc. I mean persecution complexes go both ways...they clearly aren't solely the domain of christians.

Everybody just gets their panties all in a wad over the smallest things.

I know. I got that from your post. I was just clarifiying my word-usage, is all. :)