Goodbye Jesus

Here We Go Again...my Problem With The Bible.

Greydon Square

So remember, the black girl i was talking about who told me that she would pray for me when she found out I was atheist? So i run into her again and she says "Oh i have something for you" and im thinking "ok", so she bolts to her car and comes back with a pamplet that says in BIG BRIGHT BOLD RED LETTERS: JESUS LOVES YOU, AND HERE'S WHY... Now this isnt all that bad as to whats actually in the pamplet...As i open it up with leaking skeptiscm, i start seeing stuff like, " all you have to do is read your bible, all the answers are in there" so immediately say. The reason i am Atheist is BECAUSE i read the damn bible...So we go into the discussion about why i dont trust believe or respect the bible...

So I Point out things like sexism, slavery, genocide and incest. illogical things like 957 year lifespands, god creating light without light producing objects, and god's will being in contridiction with free will and you know what this woman had the nerve to say to me?

THAT I WAS READING TOO FAR INTO IT AND THAT MOST OF THE THINGS IN THE BIBLE ARE METAPHORS.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Here's my issue, no 2 people will ever interpret the bible the same way. EVER.

So why would a God, an all knowing all powerful and logical(and he would have to be because the universe he supposedly created is based on that system of logic) send the most IMPORTANT information in all of existence to me in a book thats left up to the interpretation of metaphors?

I just recently talked to a woman who i considered my first love(granted i was 13) for the first time after 12 years and found out that she had contracted HIV. When she told me, she didnt tell me:"The Chicken was crossing the road and got hit by a car", she staight out told me something that of of grave importance. We talked and i told her about my revalation about xtianity, and was able to have her question the BS she had been taught all her life. AND SHE HAS MORE OF A REASON TO BELIEVE IN A GOD NOW MORE THAN ANYONE

My question is Why leave your most important message up to interpretation, and why cant these fundies see that a logical and all loving god wouldnt do that?

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

www.myspace.com/greydonsquare

Exactly, Greydon.

If the alleged creator of the universe has some message for us (it's inferior, created beings), why not just BE FUCKING CLEAR ABOUT IT!!! Especially now. For example, it could take over every means of communication at once and say "This is my message to mankind".

What the hell kind of all-powerful, all-knowing being would expect us to decipher 2000+ year old BS that can be interpreted by anyone to mean practically anything they can imagine?

Umm...Sorry, :Look: I think I just said the same thing you did.

it's crazy how they figure out which bible verses are metafors/figurative and which ones are literal.

I would ask them how they know which verses are literal and which verses are figurative, i mean come on.

The usual answer i get is "god will give us the answers in prayer"

but i have asked several of them about one subject (the role of women) and they have each been told "by god" different answers.

Here's my issue, no 2 people will ever interpret the bible the same way. EVER.

So why would a God, an all knowing all powerful and logical(and he would have to be because the universe he supposedly created is based on that system of logic) send the most IMPORTANT information in all of existence to me in a book thats left up to the interpretation of metaphors?

X-actly.

If it was so important, then why make the worst mistake of sending the message through some iliterate and gullible people in the first century? Wouldn't it better if God let Jesus stay and keep on show himself to all doubting Thomas-es and kept on doing miracles? It would be much less fallout from the Christian religion. God probably could invite 9 Billion people to Heaven instead of only 9 people and 9 Billion in Hell.

"How angry [God] got with us, this wrath-snorter, because we understood him badly! But why did he not speak more cleanly? And if it was the fault of our ears, why did he give us ears that heard him badly?... He bungled too much, this potter who had never finished his apprenticeship. But that he wreaked revenge on his pots and creations for having bungled them himself, that was a sin against good taste." --Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I like to go through verses like these with Christians.

I think you were right the first time. They are not metaphors. It's just that because christians can't cope with the cruel truth about their god as revealed in their holy book, they have to disguise these things as metaphors so they can justify their continuing belief it.