Goodbye Jesus

Conversion

Ex-COG

My church had this drama about heaven and hell last year (or the year before, i forgot) and obviously it brought in tons of people. It's called "eternity", if any of you guys have heard of it before. But well few stayed after that week.

Maybe it's similar to one that gets put on a lot down in Australia and New Zealand called "Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames".

Ack, I saw that performance twice! The first time, I was really into it, but the second time, I was already questioning and saw through it's cheesyness and manipulative techniques. Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames And they've got a new show out, too. Last Chance

Here's a good criticism of Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames; "Nevertheless, I was a willing participant in what I can now only describe as manipulation of a very high order. It's not the manipulation of a Steven Spielberg or a James Cameron. That we can brush off, because it's Hollywood. This manipulation is religious, spiritual, psychological and emotional, toying with the most private and personal recesses of a person's psyche, and it has consequences that stretch beyond the walls of the theatre. And it must be opposed." Manipulation At The Altar

Hey that picture at the Heaven's Gate and Hell's flames website looks freaking familliar. I think this church (city bible church in portland) jus used its plot and edited itand then renamed it "eternity" and poof, you have your very own in house drama production!

the website is http://www.eternityproduction.com

Our churches (as a military brat I went to many) had a brilliant tactic that got many converts. When it was time for altar call the preacher would tell everyone to hold hands. Everyone did and then the music would start. Then he asked a very loaded question. He asked if anyone here is NOT saved please sqeeze the persons hand beside you. Now this was said in different ways but notice he didn't say "If you WANT to be saved squeeze the persons hand." Then the preacher said if anyone had there hands squeezed raise it up and bring them to the front. I can image the feelings going through newcomers heads as they walked up to the front unprepared for what was happening to them. To make things short usually 4 or 5 walked up every sunday. When I went to mega-churches who used the same tactic 20 to 25 people got converted. To make things even more awkard sometimes the paster would tell the congregation to ask the neighbor to their left and right if they have been saved and filled with the holy ghost.

This is a common tactic in the bible belt and it's very effective.

The church I went to and still attend weekly is a Southern Baptist one and they didnt attract any non-believers either, just people who grew up with the church and people who changed church membership. I remember at a revival there was a tactic from the preacher who had everyone close their eyes in prayer and wanted everyone who wasn't saved to come up to the front, that was a long invitation as many raised their hand and came to the front. It was at a high school football field and there were a lot of people there. Also at the church I attend the preacher would ask who wasnt saved when people had their eyes closed in prayer and doubtless some would raise their hands. The preacher there also keeps the congregations singing for a long time because he "knows" the holy spirit is speaking.