Goodbye Jesus

Fucking Wasps!

Rosa Mystica

Okay, so to my great chagrin, the wasps have arrived three weeks early in my city (usually don't get here till August)! Aaarrrgh! I hate these horrid creatures more than most people know. They always harrass me- even when I don't do anything to the fuckers! And I've had to stop eating outside, b/c I don't *dare* when those things are about! Oh- and I'm deathly afraid of wasps. Simply seeing one is enough to give me a severe case of the shakes. There's a *ton* in my area- and I don't have a clue where the nest is.

Does anyone have any idea why these monstrous creatures exist? Do they even serve a function aside from crawling into trash cans and stinging unsuspecting people????? I can't see any benefits to them. I think they should all be extinct!!!!!

Does anyone else here hate wasps as much as I do?! If so, do tell!

Rosa

Okay, so to my great chagrin, the wasps have arrived three weeks early in my city (usually don't get here till August)! Aaarrrgh! I hate these horrid creatures more than most people know. They always harrass me- even when I don't do anything to the fuckers! And I've had to stop eating outside, b/c I don't *dare* when those things are about! Oh- and I'm deathly afraid of wasps. Simply seeing one is enough to give me a severe case of the shakes. There's a *ton* in my area- and I don't have a clue where the nest is.

Does anyone have any idea why these monstrous creatures exist? Do they even serve a function aside from crawling into trash cans and stinging unsuspecting people????? I can't see any benefits to them. I think they should all be extinct!!!!!

Does anyone else here hate wasps as much as I do?! If so, do tell!

Rosa

Gee, do the white anglo-saxon protestants bother you THAT much?

Gee, do the white anglo-saxon protestants bother you THAT much?

lol. :)

No, the two-legged WASPs are fine. It's the six-legged kind that I despise with every fibre of my being. :vent:

Never go to Japan. I've never been but from what I hear from others the bugs will scare the shit out of you.

Knew a guy who slid open a sliding door out onto his backyard......a spider the size of his (flexed) hand - fingers included - falls off the top of the door and ambles into the yard. He never went out in that yard again.

He also lived in a delapidated place for a while and regularly had giant centipedes with bites that drew blood fall out of the ceiling onto his sleeping body at night.

Okay, so to my great chagrin, the wasps have arrived three weeks early in my city (usually don't get here till August)!

Arriving early: an effect of global warming?

Why they exist: Because God is a sicko (if he exists).

Wasps typically feed off other insects that can cause lots of harm to crops. So, in farming or rural areas, they actually do serve a useful function. However, in more urbanized areas where pests are better controlled, I have absolutely no clue as to what sort of function they could serve other than to be another method of keeping other pest populations under control.

Quite right, wasps can be damn useful depending on what subspecies we're talking about.

I mostly agree about the common wasp you encounter here in Germany, it's much more of a nuisance here than it's useful... or at least so it seems. But years ago, when I still lived at the place where I grew up, for one summer we had a colony of a somewhat rare kind of wasp in a sandpile at the edge of our backyard (called "Erdwespen" in German, I have no idea what the English term might be, unless it's really as simple as "Earthwasps" ;) )... these were really cool. We'd never encounter them close to our soft drinks et cetera when we were outside, but they made life a living niflhel for pretty much all the nasty insects around. Every evening I would go out and examine the remains of last night's wasp supper, dropped out of the main entrance of the hive, and I could count on finding the shells of many a critter I'd have swatted as soon as possible. :fdevil:

Knew a guy who slid open a sliding door out onto his backyard......a spider the size of his (flexed) hand - fingers included - falls off the top of the door and ambles into the yard. He never went out in that yard again.

I once saw a spider that size (not a tarantula. It looked like a regular spider, just giant). In my grandma's house. And I had to stay there for a week.

As for the purpose of wasps, I have kind of an explination. I have a t-shirt that says: "I'm here because it annoys you."

nuff said.

Never go to Japan. I've never been but from what I hear from others the bugs will scare the shit out of you.

He also lived in a delapidated place for a while and regularly had giant centipedes with bites that drew blood fall out of the ceiling onto his sleeping body at night.

You should see the banana spiders here in florida...I would rather take on a grizzly bear...

They get as big as your hand and bigger. They look almost metallic, too,...like little machines.

post-182-1152659695_thumb.jpg

If you want relative peace on your patio... Pour a saucerful of sugar water.

Then put it over there ------------>

(Away from wherever you want to sit.)

Wasps are usually looking for something to drink, which is why they tend to swarm outdoor wastebins to sample from used soft drink cups.

Wasps are usually looking for something to drink, which is why they tend to swarm outdoor wastebins to sample from used soft drink cups.

You can also make homemade wasp traps out of empty 2 liter pop/soda bottles.

You simply cut the top of the bottle off about 3 inches below the neck (be sure to remove the lid), then invert the piece that you cut off and place it into the bottle to where it acts as a funnel (staple around the edges to hold it all together). Then you can add your sugar water, sausage, pepperoni, or whatever else attracts them bastards into your trap. Once they crawl in there to get to the bait, they can't figure out how to get back out.

If you need me to, I can whip up a quick sketch in MSpaint to show what the trap looks like. :shrug:

You can also make homemade wasp traps out of empty 2 liter pop/soda bottles.

You simply cut the top of the bottle off about 3 inches below the neck (be sure to remove the lid), then invert the piece that you cut off and place it into the bottle to where it acts as a funnel (staple around the edges to hold it all together). Then you can add your sugar water, sausage, pepperoni, or whatever else attracts them bastards into your trap. Once they crawl in there to get to the bait, they can't figure out how to get back out.

If you need me to, I can whip up a quick sketch in MSpaint to show what the trap looks like. :shrug:

please, whip away.

You should see the banana spiders here in florida...I would rather take on a grizzly bear...

They get as big as your hand and bigger. They look almost metallic, too,...like little machines.

Damn, both of those sound very unpleasant. I like bugs, but I don't like living with them.

Wasps are a pain, but easy enough to deal with. Fwee's trap sounds like it will work just fine, or you can just buy the traps which are very effective. Just be sure to not put them too close to where you want to be.

Wasps typically feed off other insects that can cause lots of harm to crops. So, in farming or rural areas, they actually do serve a useful function. However, in more urbanized areas where pests are better controlled, I have absolutely no clue as to what sort of function they could serve other than to be another method of keeping other pest populations under control.

In urbanized areas they feed on the harmful insects that damage lawns gardens and lawns like craneflys. It's amazing watching them go after a cranefly. The female craneflys hover around over a lawn looking for a place to lay her eggs that will hatch into hundreds of larva that destroy your lawn and a wasp will divebomb it and yank it right out of the air.

I don't like wasps either because I'm afraid of them, but I like having them in my garden to keep the pests low.

And I LOVE spiders. I encourage them to live in my house and I had a pet tarantula for years that I was very fond of. I collect spider memorabilia.

But I still don't like 'em crawling on me. :HaHa:

We've got these nasty black wasps here in kansas- they build nests up under the eaves of a barn or shed... and they're MEAN. They'll run off people, horses-anything that comes close.

I've come up with a way to take out the whole colony, though... this isn't for the faint of heart. You need a can of starting fluid (it's the most flamable aerosol you can get) and a bbq lighter. This combo will shoot a flame about 6 feet. Wait 'til dark so all the wasps have clustered on the nest... sneak up and roast'em for maybe two seconds. It isn't long enough to catch anything on fire, but their wings just shrivel up and they crawl around and die.

You gotta make sure and get them all in one fell swoop, though... or pain is inevitable.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Holy shitneck! FUCK THAT!

Sweet merciful christ....

mandarinia1.jpg

please, whip away.
What a dick... :Doh:

I just knew that someone was going to need a picture. :ugh:

:HaHa:

Okay. Give me a few minutes.

FAIR WARNING -- it's going to look like shit.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

When I was about fourteen, by best friend Jamal lived in a sweet house on a hill that had a garage infested with hornets. Whenever you parked your car you had to worry if one of those black sadistic fuckers had you in it's sights. They were relentles. They would attack in groups and just dive bomb the shit out of you. If they could sting you, good for them, but mostly you felt them hitting your clothing like a weak paintball or something.

So, one day, in the middle of the sweltering heat of a southern summer, my buddy and I donned turtle neck sweaters and gloves and ski masks, and took to the yard with those over sized orange whiffle ball bats, and had ourselves a good old fashion wasp swatting. It was magnificent. The physical sensation was like being at a batting cage with a machine mistakenly loaded with peanut eminems.

We didn't end the problem, that took exterminators, but we faced the enemy and we won the battle. *single tear*

please, whip away.
Okay. Here it is.

You should be able to see how it works now.

Holy shitneck! FUCK THAT!

Sweet merciful christ....

mandarinia1.jpg

What scares me about that picture, besides the fucking huge ass hornet, is that someone would allow a live one to be anywhere near them. At frist I thought it was just a dead one, then I noticed it was preening it's antenna with its leg. I would probably pass out if one of those landed on me.

Aww. But tarantula hawks are so pretty! And docile!

Really, they are. They're about the least-aggressive hymenopteran you could hope to come across. Unless you antagonize it (and it takes a LOT to piss those fellas off). Or unless you're a tarantula. Not that I'd let one crawl on me, but still...

(In all honesty, I've found out that the bigger a wasp or bee is, the less aggressive it is. Except in the case of hornets. Those little fuckers are MEAN no matter how big or small they are.)

Frankly. I'm more worried about these little bastards. I've heard tales about how getting stung by one of those is akin to the sensation of being shot :twitch:

Rosa, are you talking about wasps or hornets? Can't say I recall a wasp ever being near trash cans at my home, park,etc. Hornets on the other hand, eek! Just curious. :-)

please, whip away.
Okay. Here it is.

You should be able to see how it works now.

:HaHa: you even drew the wasps....thats great :lmao:

thank you. I'll make one today.

Rosa, are you talking about wasps or hornets? Can't say I recall a wasp ever being near trash cans at my home, park,etc. Hornets on the other hand, eek! Just curious. :-)

You know, I really can't tell the difference b/w the two. :scratch: How can I tell which is which? Anything that's not a bee is automatically dubbed a wasp in my books.