Goodbye Jesus

Introduction

Guest Loundry

Guest Loundry

Hello everyone!

I am an ex-Christian who abandoned his faith about eight years go. I found this site from cristianforums.com, where I contribute.

I have lost my faith for several reasons, all of which relate to me reading the Bible, understanding Christian dogma, and contemplating the ramifications of doing so. In short, I abandoned the comfortable pablum offered by the Christian community and chose to examine the religion with a critical eye. As you might imagine, I found it lacking.

1. The Horrible Gospel Message

I hate the gospel message. It is disgusting:

A. You are a wretched, flawed, evil person. Even if you have done even one tiny thing wrong, you're just as bad as John Wayne Gacy. (Don't you feel guilty?)

B. Even if you haven't done anything bad, you're bad because you inherited a "sin nature" because of something that someone else did. (Don't you feel guilty?)

C. Good news! God loved an indivudal even as wretched, flawed, and evil as you. (Don't you feel guilty?)

D. God sent his son to be a human sacrifice for your evil ways. (Don't you feel guilty?)

E. In fact, you participated in his torture and execution, you creep. (Don't you feel guilty?)

F. Because of the human sacrifice, you can be forgiven for your original sin and credited with the virtues of someone else. (Don't you feel guilty?)

2. How must I be saved?

I can think of no less that six mutually-exclusive ways in which one can be saved.

A. Faith and faith alone

B. Faith and works

C. Works and works alone (5 specific works, in fact)

D. Following the commandments

E. Proxy

F. Nothing (predestination)

I can support each of them with scripture. If there was one question that Christianity was supposed to answer, why can't it give a conclusive, non-ambiguous answer to: "What do I have to do to escape ETERNAL TORTURE?"

3. The evil nature of the Christian god

The Christian god, who is allegedly "good", did the following:

A. Mandated the murder of children and infants

B. Is allegedly all-knowing and all-powerful, yet he is content to allow child rape to continue unabated

C. Subjected his most faithful servant (Job) to torture and killed his entire family in order to win a bet with the devil

4. Jesus makes unethical commands that even Christians rightly ignore

Jesus mandated:

A. Not resisting evil

B. Poverty

C. Sloth

D. Hating your entire family

E. Hating yourself

5. The Bible is the work of fallible humans, not a perfect god

Just go read the entire "Biblical Errancy" newsletter. Dennis McKinsey did a bang-up job of listing all the problems with the Bible.

Hello everyone!

I am an ex-Christian who abandoned his faith about eight years go. I found this site from cristianforums.com, where I contribute.

I have lost my faith ...

Yep! You are so right.

Welcome to Ex- Christian.

People like you are very welcome.

Sparroe

You're right on, Loundry.

Welcome, and glad you joined in. I don't think you'll get much argument from the regular ex-christians here, but it will be interesting to see what the "apologists" say. Hope to see you in the discussions.